The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Predators @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

We're 8 and 1 in non back to back games...

8-4 in the season.

Can't say I'm not happy with this. Last night was tough. It's a back to back game and you lose a guy like Kevin and then Tito it completely jumbles your lines.

Rinne was amazing and lack was fine but outclassed by rinne.

Regardless, great teams find ways to win back to backs and we better find a way because arguably our biggest game of the season so far is this Sunday and it's a back to back vs the ducks.

Really hoping bieksa is OK... We need him for this road trip.

Exactly and all the way through to the end we were well in the game and having little luck as their goalie played lights out.

I am loving the effort and determination in the team and the smile on the face hockey. It just shows you don't have to have a coach shoving a hockey stick up your ass to get 100% commitment. ( how do you like them now Torts? )

I can't believe how many posters have tried to hang this loss on Eddie Lack. Thankfully, several people have chimed in with opposing views. Last night, the rate the players vote had over 50% rating Lack a 1/5 for the night. That numbers dropped down to something in the thirties now but there were still 19 people who felt Lack deserved the worst possible rating.

It's really hard to understand how so many people can get things so very wrong.

Lack played great and was about the only reason we hung around with a chance to win this game when it was tied 1-1.

And while the third goal is one he'd probably like back, I don't really feel like you can blame him for any of the three goals against. Certainly not the Hamhuis own goal. Nor the one where Edler got walked, Lack made the initial stop, and the puck had to slide between two Canucks' skates to end up an easy goal (with Lack also screened). And while you'd generally expect a goalie to save the third one, given the angle and location, this was another case of Lack being screened (by Hamhuis--who had a rough night). Lack was hugging the post and in good position but he seemed to try to look around the screen right when the puck was shot, which created a small opening and somehow the puck had eyes and found its way through a tiny gap before Eddie could get reset (and I don't believe he even saw the shot through Hamhuis until it was in the net).

To my eyes, Lack was tagged with three goals against due to an own goal, piss poor defensive play, screens by his own D, and a fluky goal courtesy of the hockey gods. Give him the benefit of the team that's played infront of Miller most games and Lack likely earns his first shutout of the season.

I just hope he can stay strong mentally and not start second-guessing himself there's really nothing wrong with the way he's playing.

To be fair the same could be said of Pekka Rinne. He made some outstanding saves to keep the Preds in the game.

But I agree with the jist of your post, Lack did not have a bad night, unfortunately he did let in a bad goal but not many if any goalies are perfect.

I think as we get further into the season we will find that the net minders will BE THE DIFFERENCE most nights. Up until the 3rd I still thought the Canucks would pull the game round but that's hockey, no need to crucify the guy for one bad goal.

Archived