Webster6 Posted April 6, 2015 Share Posted April 6, 2015 Turkish authorities have blocked access to Twitter, Youtube and Facebook over the publication of photos published on the three social media platforms, showing a prosecutor who was taken hostage by militants in Istanbul last week. Turkish authorities have blocked access to Twitter, Facebook and YouTube over their initial refusal to remove photos of a prosecutor who was taken hostage by militants in Istanbul, but the ban was revoked as all three social media platforms complied with a court order after eight hours.A recent court ruling seen by daily Hürriyet ordered authorities to block a total of 166 websites that published the controversial photos. Beside the world's largest social media websites in the list, there are also specific links to the stories published by Turkish newspapers.The decision, signed by Bekir Altun, the judge at Istanbul’s 1st Criminal Court of Peace, was taken after Istanbul’s Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office’s Terror and Organized Crime Investigation Bureau demanded the ban on news and videos.The decision stated content removal would be implemented and a possible blockage would be put in place if this was not done.A number of Turkey's leading Internet service providers implemented the ban in the afternoon of April 6, an official confirmed after widespread complaints about access problems to the social media websites.Speaking to daily Hürriyet, Internet Service Providers Union (ESB) Secretary General Bülent Kent stressed that "the procedure continues" as all service providers are expected to implement the ban immediately.Tayfun Acarer, the head of the Information and Communications Technologies Authority (BTK), told daily Hürriyet that the ban on Facebook had been lifted after it rapidly complied with the court ruling on April 6.YouTube.com ran the text of a court ruling on its site saying an "administration measure" had been implemented by the country's telecommunications authority (TIB).Google said it was working to restore service to the YouTube video-sharing site, which it owns. Twitter also said it was working to restore access for its users. In the evening hours, ESB Secretary General Kent announced that Twitter had also complied with the ruling and its service will return shortly. At 7 p.m., Kent said YouTube also removed the content that the court deemed illegal, which led to the revocation of the ban on all global social media platforms. I'm curious about what others think about this is. I'm still trying to formulate an opinion. I'm not sure if the right take on this is absolutely it's censorship, or whether these websites should have been held accountable for actions deemed "illegal" and blocked temporarily. Jumping to shouting censorship would generally have been my primary reaction to this, but this is also a very sensitive issue. Not just stopping Billy Bob Joe from sharing his thoughts and opinions. I'm leaning towards believing this under no circumstance should be allowed by any government at any time for any reason. Still trying to take in all potential circumstances though. More links: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/turkey/11518004/Turkey-blocks-access-to-Facebook-Twitter-and-YouTube.html http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/21/turkey-blocks-twitter-prime-minister http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomwatson/2014/03/25/turkeys-twitter-ban-shutting-down-technology-or-social-culture/ Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.