The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Mike Green

He only has two assists in the playoffs and he plays on the powerplay with Ovechkin and Backstrom.

Tanev and Edler still have more points than him.

Pass.

He had 45 points this year or .625 PPG and was +15.

Last year .54PPG, the year before .74, before that (with injury issues), .22 before that (again injuries), .49, then his stellar years of 1.01 and 1.07 with the team obviously pushing the offense over D.

In all of those, he's had only two, minus seasons (last year -16 where the whole team was terrible/got the coach fired and the year before -3).

His Corsi % is above 50% for all but 1 year as well.

The guy's a good player.

And he'd be on the PP with the Sedins...they're not half bad players either :rolleyes:

As much as I like him, I would take a pass and take a chance on properly grooming guys like Clendenning to do the job at a much lower price range.

Get what you pay for... Clendening is no Green. If he was, Chicago would never have let him go.

I like the idea, but i think we will need to give him six for 4-5 years and we will need to dump bieksa or higgins (preferably both) for picks to get him.

Ultimately I would rather have Franson. Younger, cheaper and is a BC boy. Would be much easier to entice him to come and play for us and can help our PP just as a Mike Green would.

Franson doesn't fill a role we currently have vacant. He's basically a RH'd Edler which would be great to have on our second pair (or first, if we didn't already have Edler) if there was no cap but...

The price difference between Green and Franson is not drastic enough to not go after the guy we actually need, for a role that's currently vacant. That said, he will be sought after and I would not be surprised at all to see a bidding war we don't win. I'll not be remotely shocked to see him go elsewhere but he's definitely the guy we should be targeting.

I'd absolutely take Mike Green in a heartbeat, I hope Calgary signs him in fact, but he'd be a good addition to the Canucks as well. Honestly I don't think he'll get 6+/season, Im thinking like 5-5.5 and a 4-5 year term. Green would be a great addition to the Canucks, and quite versatile, he could be used on the first pairing with Edler and send Tanev to the second pairing to balance things out a bit in the top 4, or he could play a steady minute munching role on the second pairing. He's lost alot of his offensive prowess, but he has really come leaps and bounds ahead in his defensive play, in fact I wouldnt have any problem with him playing top pairing in Calgary with Gio in a shut down role.

Although I can see Edmonton targeting him hard, I would not at all be surprised to see Edmonton throw him the biggest offer, plus hes an Alberta boy so returning to his home province might be appealing, especially with the McDavid factor, or even to Calgary as its his home, and the team is developing into quite a decent team. Give the young guys a few more years to start hitting their prime years, and Greens still in 32 at that point so could be a huge role player and PP guy.

Archived