The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Waivers

Baking Soda

I'm not sure if this is Canucks talk, so mods can move this, but on these boards I saw that if we didn't have Baertschi or Clendening on the NHL team we would lose them to waivers, I thought that if you sent someone down during preseason, the waivers don't matter and they can be sent down without a problem. Or did this change under the new CBA?

I'm not sure if this is Canucks talk, so mods can move this, but on these boards I saw that if we didn't have Baertschi or Clendening on the NHL team we would lose them to waivers, I thought that if you sent someone down during preseason, the waivers don't matter and they can be sent down without a problem. Or did this change under the new CBA?

At the beginning of training camp all players under contract are deemed to be on the Canucks. Players who are waiver exempt can be sent down without worrying about waivers. Players who are waiver eligible must clear waivers (as Markstrom did last year after being "hidden" in pre-season).

Usually a lot a players are sent down in the day or two before the season begins so it is easier than at other times to get players through as all teams are trying to get down to the 23-player limit and there are not many injured players who need to be replaced.

Once a player has been sent down once in a season he can be moved up and down without clearing waivers again until he plays 10 games at the NHL level or is "up" for 30 days. Therefore guys can move up and down after clearing waivers once, as Markstrom did last year.

Archived