The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teal Pumpkin Project

Mike Vanderhoek

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/teal-pumpkin-project-not-a-smash-hit-with-everyone-1.3297967

Curious to know people's thoughts on this subject, I can respect the idea and it seems to be a positive addition to Halloween but at the end of the day does this open up a can of worms ( people with specific health issues, allergies, cultural expectations, concerns requesting their very own colored pumpkin ? ) or is it something we overall embrace ?

I personally like the idea but prefer the regular pumpkins while parents do their diligence and ensure their children are safe and kept from ingesting something potentially fatal.

Thoughts ?

I think it's a great idea, but at the end of the day parents of kids with allergies need to take the responsibility of checking the candy (and teach their kids to be aware of what they are eating).  Aren't parents meant to help their kids check for tampered candy, anyway?

As for the situation in the article, people shouldn't be expected to spend the extra money for toys. I can understand if people are worried about contact allergies to peanuts (when I was young, people used to hand out handfuls of peanuts), but celiacs have to actually ingest gluten to get sick. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/teal-pumpkin-project-not-a-smash-hit-with-everyone-1.3297967

Curious to know people's thoughts on this subject, I can respect the idea and it seems to be a positive addition to Halloween but at the end of the day does this open up a can of worms ( people with specific health issues, allergies, cultural expectations, concerns requesting their very own colored pumpkin ? ) or is it something we overall embrace ?

I personally like the idea but prefer the regular pumpkins while parents do their diligence and ensure their children are safe and kept from ingesting something potentially fatal.

Thoughts ?

I don't see why it would open up a can of worms or cause issues. If anything it is more efficient. Kids who are limited in what they can intake won't waste their time stopping at unnecessary houses and taking candy they won't even eat. Plus keep in mind kids often want to go to as many houses as fast as they can and get as much candy as possible. 

Plus think about it. It's just a painted pumpkin. Getting offended or bothered by that is as insane as getting offended by a handicapped parking spot.

As far as the article goes the mom who complained is pathetic. The kind of person who lacks self responsibility and looks to start drama over any little thing. The woman giving out candy who smashed her teal pumpkin also acted childishly by letting the mom get her that upset. No reason to let 1 person ruin the entire concept 

Aren't parents meant to help their kids check for tampered candy, anyway?

Urban myth. There have only ever been a couple of confirmed cases of tampered candy and 1 was a father intentionally slipping a poisoned candy into his sons bag to collect on the kids recently purchased life insurance. In 2000 one man in Minneapolis was arrested for giving out candy with needles in it. Thats all of it. The rest is all hoaxes and stories.

Archived