The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

YouTube Thread 2.0

Armada

Whoa....and you think you have a rough job?

I'll admit that that would be pretty bad on a fishing boat.

This is raw footage from a storm in 2011 when we took shelter in St. George's Bay, Newfoundland. It is tough to get the scale of the waves rolling past us but they're getting up to around 35ft. It got much worse that night as we started to take rollers over the bow and we ripped apart our anchor windlass. Ultimately we had no choice but to use the engines to prevent the ship from slamming into the shore (about 1nm behind us).

The wind was steady around 75kts and ended up gusting to 89kts. That night it got over 100kts.

Oh, and while we were nice and comfortable on the bridge... listen to the radio call at 3:30. That's the First Mate on another ship calling his bridge telling them he's made it to the forward end of the vessel and that he is going to try to raise the anchor (if it is too rough you can steam into the swell to prevent the kind of damage we ended up doing to our windlass). He has literally tied himself to the railing in order to stop from being blown overboard. Amazingly, he eventually managed to get the anchor up.

Also, this is someone else's video of my most recent ship. The pictures were taken during a trip across the Atlantic in the late '80s... (music, video, and pictures are not mine)

Just for a size comparison, that structure on the deck of the ship is the pump house. Here is a picture of two 6ft guys standing on top of it...

11kduly.jpg

Edited by YaK