The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hypothetical situation (playoff seeding)

Rush17

If one division produces 5 playoff teams (including 2 wildcard spots). What happens if the wildcard teams have more points then the top team in the other division?

Is it still the other divisions winner vs the 2nd best wildcard team or does the top team in my division play against someone in theirs?

I just wanted to ask. In my NHL 19 game I'm facing this exact scenario with 11 games remaining in the regular season.

standings

1 Central

2 Central

3 Central

4 Central (wild card spot)

5 Central (wild card spot)

6 Pacific 

7 Pacific

8 Pacific

It would be weird to see a top team and conference winner play against a #5 seed. Do they rules change in this scenario?

Appreciate any insight.

The first wild card team would slot in as the 4th seed in the Pacific dvision.

ie

1 Central vs 5 Central (wild card spot)

2 Central vs 3 Central

6 Pacific vs 4 Central (wild card spot)

7 Pacific vs 8 Pacific

Playoffs are more divisional now, conference standings mean less

44 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

If one division produces 5 playoff teams (including 2 wildcard spots). What happens if the wildcard teams have more points then the top team in the other division?

Is it still the other divisions winner vs the 2nd best wildcard team or does the top team in my division play against someone in theirs?

I just wanted to ask. In my NHL 19 game I'm facing this exact scenario with 11 games remaining in the regular season.

standings

1 Central

2 Central

3 Central

4 Central (wild card spot)

5 Central (wild card spot)

6 Pacific 

7 Pacific

8 Pacific

It would be weird to see a top team and conference winner play against a #5 seed. Do they rules change in this scenario?

Appreciate any insight.

As has been the case since 1979-80, 16 teams will qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The format now is a set bracket that is largely division-based with wild cards.

The top three teams in each division will make up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season record and regardless of division. It is possible for one division in each conference to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends just three.

In the First Round, the division winner with the best record in each conference will be matched against the wild card with the lesser record; the wild card with the better record will play the other division winner.

The teams finishing second and third in each division will meet in the First Round within the bracket headed by their respective division winner. First-round winners within each bracket play one another in the Second Round to determine the four participants in the Conference Finals.

https://www.nhl.com/news/stanley-cup-playoffs-format-qualification-system/c-711015

That's rough that a 1st placed conference team might have to one day play a 5th placed division team. It really shows how broken the system is lol. I guess my only hope is a Pacific team can somehow catch up and knock a central team out. 

That occuring in the actual NHL would probably infuriate a lot of GMs. My division is stacked in my NHL franchise lol. It's going to be a rough ride. My division is actually the strongest in the league by a wide margin.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Thanks for the insight guys. That is a brutal flaw in the system. The odds of it happening are low but it is plausible.

Can we go back to 1 vs 8 again :lol:

A balanced regular season schedule best fits a 1- 8 playoffs!

6 minutes ago, 6string said:

A balanced regular season schedule best fits a 1- 8 playoffs!

I am also in favour of letting the top seeded teams select their opponent. That would add a whole new element of fun too it. I could see a lot of GMs getting fired over bad selections though. :lol:

Archived