The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does the RFA $ Grab Imply Coming Economic-Mayhem?

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Should we put the odds of some stoppage at 50%, Alf-man?

The NHL under Betman seems to need a lockout to get a CBA.  The players hate the escrow, and the hard cap.  I bet the players hate there are teams (Arizona) that use contracts where they count 6 million on the cap, but only pay the player 1 or 2 million.  Those teams don’t really reach the cap floor do they?

i don’t want a stoppage, but I think it’s almost inevitable with this league.  

• Upvote 1

If we were to separate players into 5 or 6 groupings(based on their relative age), I wonder if some animosity might enter the discussion, on various teams?

1,The ELC's, 2,bridge-babies, 3,mid 20's, 4,late 20's, 5,vet UFA's, 6,fodder-bums(guys just happy getting a contract). I've numbered just for simplicity of thread discussion.

There seems no denying a greater % of cap is trending towards the younger balance of this spectrum. Is that a refection of more polished kids, arriving with greater skills(to more rapidly climb this ladder of cap-entitlement)? Or is it borne of necessity, as too many generous contracts had been handed out, just as an economy(in general) & subsequent cap-pie would come in smaller? So then buy outs follow, & teams are forced to go with relatively cheap ELC-types, or the #6 variety, of marginal bums just happy to be signed & get an NHL jersey.

If the latter is the case, doesn't the paying fan get shortchanged due to contracting cap? How does the informed fan view such trends?

Also, how do other players view their peers(or teammates, sitting on their bench)? It's one thing when an overpriced Loui E is sitting there(no sweat) with his 6 mill per. You can somewhat justify it based upon several strong yrs, & an earned UFA ticket. But then how do they feel next to the Rasks & Wennbergs, who are getting oversized portions, with perhaps 1 or 2 yrs of (way back) past decent performance?

Now suddenly you have an emerging RFA class(#2^ above) who feel entitled to 10-12% of the aforementioned 81,000,000 pie. Does it come to a point where players will be at loggerheads, as to who is entitled to what? Is this something the NHLPA should address amongst themselves?

Tried to present some questions here, & there are more to come...

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

On 6/30/2019 at 12:42 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

you could be right Nux. 

I think the solution has to come from the NHLPA tho. Unless they agree to lower the max cap hit for a single player this goofiness will continue.

But... I look at how Boston is built. Great balance in the salaries. Thats actually where I think the Canucks are headed for the most part. 

Yes, strongly agreed. There are a number of nice points in several of the other replies here too.

If one can ascertain the strengths & weaknesses of a developing trend, I'd guess a few savvy GM's might exploit by getting ahead of the developing curve. Appears our relative-youth & number of soon expiring contracts position Van to possibly be one of these teams.

• Cheers 1

To be fair this is all agents, the players.dint negotiate except tell agent I don't wanna play in this city Anymore

Look at Timo contract with that 4th year 10million salary.that isn't the.players that's all a smart agent.

And if I was a agent talking to the.team saying hey you don't wanna pay.my.guy a bad 28-35yr old over paid contract pay the young guy what he is worth