The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For those that think JB doesn't have a plan.

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

14 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I think his plan has been pretty clear.  Initially it was to keep the window open. I don't know if that was his desire but it certainly was of ownership so that is what he tried to do. (Without success). We are still paying for these moves by way of lost prospects and Eriksson's neverending contract.

The revised plan only came into effect when we started our rebuild. 

Step one: Move aging assets to try to restock the prospect pool. Check.

Step two: Sign role players to teach the kids how to approach the game and to support the aging Sedins into retirement.  Check.

Step three: Draft well during this time. BIG check.

Step four: Address weaknesses.  This was a big one, which somewhat took care of a substandard blueline, improved our lack of quality top 6 wingers, and injected a lot of size and grit into the lineup. Another massive check.

Step 5: Continue to develop young talent both on roster and in the prospect pool.  Consolidate prospects to increase potential of high end players. In progress. Our top talent should really be hitting their stride in a couple of years, and we should have exciting young options available.

Step 6: Win the cup.

Almost there, folks.

I really think the Sedins had a big say in what the teams direction was going while they were here, hence, Ericksson. They had no interest in leaving to a contender and that stopped a lot of rebuilding, per say, as we would have had some pretty good players in the system if they would have helped the team out a bit.

JB did a good job of adding what we had missed when we were giving away all of our picks. Some worked out, some didn't. Most of the time it kept the team fairly competitive.

Considering what he was left with, I think he faired quite well and I think this year will be the beginning of the climb back to the top.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/7/2019 at 11:28 AM, kilgore said:

No one said he didn't have a plan. You don't get hired as an NHL GM without a plan.  His plan was whatever the owner wanted, to try and make the playoffs every year. To ignore the warning signs, to hold onto vets when they actually had trade value. Be more concerned about squeaking into the post season than with keeping all your picks and prospects and doing it a more traditional tried and true rebuild, whether the reason was to give the twins one last shot or make Francesco some playoff cash or whatever.

It was a gamble that did not pay off with playoffs. In fact it failed so spectacularly that we ended up instead as one of, if not, the worst team on average through the last 4 seasons, and so received high end picks, a few of which that have luckily been winners. Its quite a stretch to imagine this was some kind of 5 dimensional chess he was playing.

I give him credit for cobbling together a more credible support group to surround our emerging star players than he's done in previous seasons.  But there is a different kind of problem which is not that visible today, with an over full stable of unspectacular forward vets, topping up our cap for the next few years just when we may have wanted to add a "final piece" type player. And even though we have a few good young prospects coming, we could have had a larger pool in the second wave ready to replace the Edlers, Sutters, Erikssons. He's kind of kicking the ball down the road.  But it is what it is, and if it works, I'll be stoked.

Well said and spot on. 

• Cheers 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/6/2019 at 11:04 PM, Arrow 1983 said:

Some what agree. I think the Canucks have the depth to make the playoffs.

I actually believe that if they stay healthy they can be 4th or 5th in the Conference

They miss only if the train comes completely off the tracks when talking about injuries. 

My predictions are all coming true.

They are forth in the Conference 

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Upvote 1

• -SN- locked this topic