Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seeking opinions on some beats I recently made


Gator

Recommended Posts

So I decided to pick up a new hobby and start making beats. These are the only 2 I have uploaded atm but I am planning on making 10-20 per month and posting them on beatstars. 

 

I should have the rest uploaded by the end of the night, but these are my 2 favourite that I made so far.

 

 

 

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These are really good, especially if you're just starting out. My recommendation would be to look into compressors and sidechaining, so that your kick and other "punchy" instruments are able to stand out in the mix a lot better. Also, for the first beat, I would try mixing it up with the melody/synth a little more, maybe transpose it +/- 12 semitones to give it a different feel.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Stech said:

These are really good, especially if you're just starting out. My recommendation would be to look into compressors and sidechaining, so that your kick and other "punchy" instruments are able to stand out in the mix a lot better. Also, for the first beat, I would try mixing it up with the melody/synth a little more, maybe transpose it +/- 12 semitones to give it a different feel.

It is my first time and the beats I can use are pretty limited right now. Itll deffiently start getting better after I learn more. I threw these together in a pretty short amount of time off of an android app. I've started to get into video editing a bit before I dabbed into this. I was making player highlight videos but I kind of put that to the side and started making the beats.

 

Any suggestions on good beat apps for android? I dont currently have a PC but I'm saving up for a good 1 at the moment.

 

Thanks for your feedback!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

It is my first time and the beats I can use are pretty limited right now. Itll deffiently start getting better after I learn more. I threw these together in a pretty short amount of time off of an android app. I've started to get into video editing a bit before I dabbed into this. I was making player highlight videos but I kind of put that to the side and started making the beats.

 

Any suggestions on good beat apps for android? I dont currently have a PC but I'm saving up for a good 1 at the moment.

 

Thanks for your feedback!

I'm actually amazed that you could do that with an android app lol. Just my 2 cents, it would be very much worth the investment in a PC or Mac, simply because the overall function of a program like Ableton (which is what I use) is exponentially higher than a phone app. Not to mention workflow which is half the battle with DAWs. There are plenty of ways to work around the 800$ price tag too - if you happen to land a computer DM me and I can send some links

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stech said:

I'm actually amazed that you could do that with an android app lol. Just my 2 cents, it would be very much worth the investment in a PC or Mac, simply because the overall function of a program like Ableton (which is what I use) is exponentially higher than a phone app. Not to mention workflow which is half the battle with DAWs. There are plenty of ways to work around the 800$ price tag too - if you happen to land a computer DM me and I can send some links

I have a laptop but not sure if it's good enough for the programs I'd need. 

 

Youd be amazed with how little I had to work with to make those beats LOL

 

Here are the other 2 beats I uploaded. Theres still a couple more I need to upload.

 

 

Edited by Brock Botanen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Youd be amazed with how little I had to work with to make those beats LOL

Honestly that's a great way to learn. What are your specs? You should be able to look up certain programs' minimum requirements to run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 11/30/2019 at 5:45 AM, Stech said:

These are really good, especially if you're just starting out. My recommendation would be to look into compressors and sidechaining, so that your kick and other "punchy" instruments are able to stand out in the mix a lot better. Also, for the first beat, I would try mixing it up with the melody/synth a little more, maybe transpose it +/- 12 semitones to give it a different feel.

When you get a chance would you mind listening to the beats i posted above and let me know what you think? 

 

Thanks in advance if youre able too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

When you get a chance would you mind listening to the beats i posted above and let me know what you think? 

 

Thanks in advance if youre able too!

I think #5, 8, and 13 are by far your best. They sound a lot more refined, polished than the others. Not to sound harsh, but some of your beats sound a little tacky, but I think that's a matter of how you mix your layers. As I mentioned before, I think you would really benefit from moving to a platform such as Ableton that offers better workflow and maneuverability with editing clips and recording midi. Also, try to expand on your variations between 4,8, and 16 bar loops - meaning try to make each little section different than the last, because it is easy for hip hop/trap beats to get boring after the 30 seconds of listening.

 

You seem to have the ear for it, which is a good sign!

 

ps: here's one I've made that can give you an idea of what I mean by variation

 

Edited by Stech
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...