The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Operation “team chemistry”: Catering to one of the Canucks’ biggest strength

8 hours ago, D-Money said:

...And I just realized that you are suggesting that Ottawa will trade us a 1st for Eriksson and Ferland - I thought you meant we'd give a 1st for them to take them. So this is just a waste of time...

I couldn't believe it took so long for someone to address that. 

One of the absolute worst contracts in the league and a player that is a massive question mark to continue his career is worth a first? Good lord...

On 9/29/2020 at 8:48 PM, D-Money said:
On 9/29/2020 at 5:04 PM, Lazurus said:

And how will their agents twist the Canucks arms to sign that deal? They will be RFA's, not that there is a skill parody but Puljujarvi couldn't force the Oilers to sign a deal. It isn't in the rules. Either could go to the KHL or just sit but the rules say all the Canucks have to do is offer a qualifying offer. They are not UFAs

They won't sign for a fraction of what they're worth. They'll just hold out, and we'll almost certainly lose the majority of those games.

A hold out would almost be like saying they want a trade, most hold outs do end up being traded. But they would not turn down 5 or 6 mil in a signing bonus, which can be done now for the next couple of weeks, think I heard the NHL is doing away with that or it counts in that season's cap hit. Besides at 23 40 mil is a lot.

Ferland's career is done, over the last 2 years he has not recovered from brain trauma, he has tried 4 times and failed, he would waive his NMC because the Canucks gave it to him, it doesn't matter where his contract goes now, he stays at home. And Ottawa has multiple 1rst round picks and they need to save money and get cap hits.

As of last report Ferland is going to try to play again. 

...And I just realized that you are suggesting that Ottawa will trade us a 1st for Eriksson and Ferland - I thought you meant we'd give a 1st for them to take them. So this is just a waste of time...

Are you realizing just how much this Covid thing is affecting team's. Ottawa was cash poor before with fans and now, but they still have to make the cap minimum and for once Eriksson's contract becomes like gold. If the Nucks retain 1/2 salary the salary cost is way down from the cap hit and they need the cap hit.

Ferland is done, I believe they revealed he has suffered 6 major concussions over the last 5 years, he spent the last 4 months with Carolina essentially on the bench with various "upper body injuries", a term teh NHL teams used for a head injury, even Baerstchi was list with a broken jaw but now include a concussion. Ferland spent most of the last 16 months or more trying to come back but couldn't last a period. So his LTIR is insured and costs Ottawa nothing but they can use his cap hit. For Ottawa this alone gives them cap stability and saves them over 8 million dollars per season. They have 3 1rst round picks maybe the 3rd a 28th pick.

Again both players are RFAs but who cares if other teams offer more, what if they don't? A lot of teams will be shedding cap hits, Tampa just has their backs to the wall. Going by past history almost NO teams will do an offer sheet

Who cares? The players, for one. They have to sign it, why would they bother for less than market rate? Not every team needs cap space, some teams have room to play with.

You know why almost NO teams use offer sheets? Because they almost NEVER work

NHL teams have never had the certainty of knowing exactly what the cap would be the next  year let alone 3 or up to 4 years. That was part of hte agreement with the NHLPA, a flat cap UNTIL revenues recover, that could be until after the cure for Covid.

But that said player values will go down and teams that singed deals with the idea of a 5% increase each year are stuck with increases they will have trouble managing.

Because draft pick values will increase some more offer sheets will start to be considered.

There is no way Tampa could handle two offer sheets. There are just no teams that could take numerous contracts away from them and they also have lots of clause contracts as well.

They may even have to give away picks to get cap relief.