The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

a comparison of salaries and expenses edmonton/milwaukee

Bad_BOI_pete

All you d

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

its funny because you keep using personal arguments, when there not valid. 

https://www.erieri.com/salary/job/software-engineer/CANADA/british-columbia/vancouver

https://www.erieri.com/salary/job/software-engineer/CANADA/ontario/toronto

https://www.erieri.com/salary/job/software-engineer/united-states/new-york/new-york

https://www.erieri.com/salary/job/software-engineer/united-states/california/san-francisco

want more proof here are the first 5 jobs available in vancouver on indeed.

there is a reason houses cost more in vancouver 

i will concede owning a home in mt vernon, is cheaper. but there is more than one way to invest your money. investment properties, etc.

Purchasing Power Index High 97.17 High 100.00
Safety Index High 63.49 Moderate 53.43
Health Care Index High 75.37 High 61.79
Climate Index Very High 91.15 High 79.66
Cost of Living Index Moderate 73.59 High 100.00
Property Price to Income Ratio Moderate 11.67 Moderate 10.49
Traffic Commute Time Index Moderate 37.55 Moderate 43.13
Pollution Index Low 24.26 Moderate 57.36

Quality of Life Index
Very High 177.17 High 137.69

and my trump card

https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/compare/united-states/canada

Company Average salary

$135,555 per year
$122,467 per year
$101,375 per year
$133,453 per year
$115,475 per year

I know what the salaries are I work in the industry. The UX/UI designer in my example was making $120K CDN and that is a lower paying job typically than a software engineer. 

I've worked at one of the companies in the examples you gave and work for a large US software company. A $120K CDN job in Toronto pays $120K USD in Dallas and $160K USD in New York. $120K CDN translates to $92K USD. 

Take home pay on $120K in Toronto is $83K vs $91K in Dallas. $91K converted into CAD is $120K, nearly 50% more. Take home in New York would be $110K USD or $145K CAD. Manhattan is extremely expensive, my friend was renting in Jersey City which took him less than 20 minutes to get to his office. Here is a decent looking apartment 20 minutes door to door to the world trade centre for $1,750 USD which is $2,300 CAD: https://www.apartments.com/50-bright-st-jersey-city-nj-unit-1a/jb471p6/

To be fair he was making much less in Vancouver at the start-up vs what he could have made at SAP and his job in New York was on the higher end of the spectrum because he was a senior level back end developer who went for the highest paying offer. 

The point is if you are living and working in San Francisco or New York City the higher wages get cancelled out by high downtown rents but commuting in saves a lot of money. If you are looking to buy a house and are willing to commute up to an hour you will find a lot more available within say 4x your annual salary than you will in Toronto or Vancouver but downtown Vancouver & Toronto are cheaper if you are renting. 

To be fair, prices in both Canadian markets have skyrocketed over 2x in the past decade whereas wages have increased but not drastically which has caused the biggest discrepancy. I was able to buy a detached home in the city of Toronto which never would have happened if I stayed in Vancouver but it is a small house in a very poor area. When I was looking to transfer to Dallas it was insane what I could buy for the same price. 

5 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

All you d

I know what the salaries are I work in the industry. The UX/UI designer in my example was making $120K CDN and that is a lower paying job typically than a software engineer. 

I've worked at one of the companies in the examples you gave and work for a large US software company. A $120K CDN job in Toronto pays $120K USD in Dallas and $160K USD in New York. $120K CDN translates to $92K USD. 

Take home pay on $120K in Toronto is $83K vs $91K in Dallas. $91K converted into CAD is $120K, nearly 50% more. Take home in New York would be $110K USD or $145K CAD. Manhattan is extremely expensive, my friend was renting in Jersey City which took him less than 20 minutes to get to his office. Here is a decent looking apartment 20 minutes door to door to the world trade centre for $1,750 USD which is $2,300 CAD: https://www.apartments.com/50-bright-st-jersey-city-nj-unit-1a/jb471p6/

To be fair he was making much less in Vancouver at the start-up vs what he could have made at SAP and his job in New York was on the higher end of the spectrum because he was a senior level back end developer who went for the highest paying offer. 

The point is if you are living and working in San Francisco or New York City the higher wages get cancelled out by high downtown rents but commuting in saves a lot of money. If you are looking to buy a house and are willing to commute up to an hour you will find a lot more available within say 4x your annual salary than you will in Toronto or Vancouver but downtown Vancouver & Toronto are cheaper if you are renting. 

To be fair, prices in both Canadian markets have skyrocketed over 2x in the past decade whereas wages have increased but not drastically which has caused the biggest discrepancy. I was able to buy a detached home in the city of Toronto which never would have happened if I stayed in Vancouver but it is a small house in a very poor area. When I was looking to transfer to Dallas it was insane what I could buy for the same price. 

im going to agree with you in alot of the points you make, i have always said its better financially to live in the states if your making large amounts of money. 

but, i dont agree that jobs pay 150% its more like 95-250%. 150% happens only when you get into very specialized jobs, wich require lots of education and experience.

wage disparity in the united states is very extreme.take in point entry level jobs like mcdonalds

new york cook 10$hr US

vancouver cook 14.6$hr cad

you can see the wage disparity in the median household income vs average salary

57,782$US 2015 NUMBERS MEDIAN HOUSEHOLD INCOME.

72585$CAD 2015 NUMBERS MEDIAN HOUSEHOLD INCOME.

average salary in new york  77kUS

average salary in vancouver is 62kCAD

the average person is  better off to live in vancouver

oh and here is the average software engineer salary (including bonuses) at amazon 

vancouver 110k CAD

New york 160kus

Edited by Petey_BOI

4 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

im going to agree with you in alot of the points you make, i have always said its better financially to live in the states if your making large amounts of money. 

but, i dont agree that jobs pay 150% its more like 95-250%. 150% happens only when you get into very specialized jobs, wich require lots of education and experience.

wage disparity in the united states is very extreme.take in point entry level jobs like mcdonalds

new york cook 10$hr US

vancouver cook 14.6$hr cad

you can see the wage disparity in the median household income vs average salary

57,782$US 2015 NUMBERS MEDIAN HOUSEHOLD INCOME.

72585$CAD 2015 NUMBERS MEDIAN HOUSEHOLD INCOME.

average salary in new york  77kUS

average salary in vancouver is 62kCAD

the average person is  better off to live in vancouver

oh and here is the average software engineer salary (including bonuses) at amazon 

vancouver 110k CAD

New york

You are 100% correct. There is not only major income discrepancy between rich and poor but also between upper and middle class. It is much harder to make great money in Canada and even if you are earning a high salary afford a home in Vancouver or Toronto. However, people as a whole are not struggling nearly as bad being saddled with insane medical bills.

One other consideration is the cost of education is so much higher in the US that even if a software engineer gets paid much better it is a significantly larger investment to get your degree. Many of the middle class stuck in average jobs are in deep student debt for a long time. This isn’t nearly as bad in Canada.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

You are 100% correct. There is not only major income discrepancy between rich and poor but also between upper and middle class. It is much harder to make great money in Canada and even if you are earning a high salary afford a home in Vancouver or Toronto. However, people as a whole are not struggling nearly as bad being saddled with insane medical bills.

One other consideration is the cost of education is so much higher in the US that even if a software engineer gets paid much better it is a significantly larger investment to get your degree. Many of the middle class stuck in average jobs are in deep student debt for a long time. This isn’t nearly as bad in Canada.

well sometimes it takes all week to come to a agreement on the internet. so this is a success in my books.

• Cheers 1