The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Wake up

9 hours ago, ZH96 said:

The Holtby and Virtanen buyouts will equal $2,400,000 but Luongos cap relief will be $3,035,212. Plus $1,500,000 of Hamonic gone  in this situation equals an extra $2,135,212 of cap space. We’re going to be in LTIR the next two seasons anyway especially with wanting to be a contending team now.

If you are counting Hamonic on the NHL roster then his roster spot will need to be replaced.  

Hamonic is currently down in Abbotsford for an 1.875M cap hit.  If he gets traded at 50% retained his retained cap hit is 1.5M.  To bring him back up they need to find 1.125M.  Motte went on LTIR but that's expected to be only temporary.  

There's Halak's bonus of 1.25M - that will also count against the cap next season.  They do have 650K in bonus overage on this season's books so only need to count the difference.

Edited by mll

6 hours ago, ZH96 said:

How about this than.. (Line-up I wrote this way due to current injuries)

Canucks acquire: D Nathan Beaulieu

7th Round Draft Pick 2023

Jets acquire: F Matthew Highmore

D Madison Bowey

5th Round Draft Pick 2024

Miller -Pettersson- Boeser

Pearson -Horvat- Garland

Hoglander -Petan- Bailey

Lammikko -Stevens- Podkolzin

Chiasson

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Beaulieu - Schenn

Hunt - Burroughs

Demko

Halak

I like the idea of a coach change. I'm not sure if Shaw is the right guy, I would prefer an experienced NHL coach. But maybe Shaw with someone like Boudreau as a mentor/assistant would be good. I really don't feel like the head coach could be much worse than Green.

But the idea that a 3LD like Beaulieu will make a massive difference to our team performance...I don't agree with. Our defense group seems pretty solid to me. I think if JB wanted to upgrade our LD depth to give Rathbone seasoning time in the AHL, he would've picked up someone like Jacob Larsson (ANA) off waivers for free. Larsson would have been a good 3rd pairing LD which can play right side too.

However, when Hamonic eventually returns to the Canucks roster, we will have to decide who to waive. I would prefer to keep Rathbone on the roster and waive Hunt. I think Burroughs can provide depth as a #7 on LD or RD, and Schenn as a #8 on RD.