The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Mar. 26, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

This is so true....

its like a little oasis in the dessert...

Top notch and very rewarding regardless of how you view things. Loyal fans. 

Not only loyal, but funs, who understand the game very deeply. When I read Post Game discussion - I often go like- oh, this person should make a living writing about hockey.

I bet, that all regular  Vancouver media folks coming here to get ideas.

Love this place and it really helps me to cope with what is going on in my Ukraine.

Thank you.

• Like 1

• -DLC- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
On 3/26/2023 at 6:14 PM, -DLC- said:

That's your take. Only.

And that crap about "teams trying to lose or with their foot off the gas". That's also your take.

It's a dangerous game and teams know that. Start to float/coast and those habits can set in pretty quickly. Losers tank but that's not always a winning strategy...that stuff sticks.

We're not as far off as you think. Tocchet's a big driver in that...these guys have to work hard and that pays off. 

The thing about tanking is that you actually have to tank. That means you have to trade everybody of value in order to maximize your chances on the rebuild. Tanking means trading players that you would normally keep in order to accumulate high draft picks and likely prospects in the right age range. The efficiency of this process can be validated by reference to new teams being established such as Las Vegas and Seattle - they essentially are stripped down starting versions starting out with a bunch of non-optimal assets that are the discards of other teams and picks they have accumulated for not selecting players that other teams want to keep. The quick rise of these teams validates process of tanking to rebuild - these teams start with no stars but rapidly accumulate picks. The amazing thing is how quickly they transition into contenders.

Teams "take their foot off the gas" at the management level: they trade anyone of value, i.e. tank. Players still fight for jobs, coaches still try to win because it remains in their self-interest to do so. Some ownerships prefer a steady revenue stream, but want some playoff games, so they strive for permanent mediocrity. History tells us how well that strategy works - especially in Vancouver. For instance, a team that want a rebuild would take a Kuzmenko and ask, "Is he part of our final team concept?" If no, turn him into assets. They would keep turning aging assets into chances until they had enough chances work out to build a team young enough and with a strong enough core to turn into a contender. The process requires constant revaluation to determine when they are in a position to contend.