The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sabres sign Zach Benson

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

Is Benson a great prospect? Absolutely. Is he more likely to hit his ceiling than Willander? Quite possibly, yeah.

The point is though, if both players do not their ceilings, which is more valuable? It's the defenseman, and it's not particularly close. Even if Willander falls short of expectation and Benson doesn’t, they could still have similar trade value (see: Hall for Larsson trade).

Comparing forwards to defensemen is always tricky I find. Take for example Phil Kessel vs Alex Pietrangelo. Kessel was a 1st line center for over a decade who finished top 10 in scoring 4 times. Pietrangelo is a do everything defenseman who is usually good for 45-52 points and while has garnered Norris votes over the years has never quite been a Norris finalist. Both players had Stanley Cup runs deserving of a Conn Smythe. Their career earnings have also been surprisingly similar.

So which player would you take? I'm sure some would lean towards the flash of Phil Kessel (Toronto went in this direction) but personally I would take Pietrangelo. 

Edit: just realized I said center for Kessel but he's mostly been a winger and only part-time center

Edited by Diamonds
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Comparing forwards to defensemen is always tricky I find. Take for example Phil Kessel vs Alex Pietrangelo. Kessel was a 1st line center for over a decade who finished top 10 in scoring 4 times. Pietrangelo is a do everything defenseman who is usually good for 45-52 points and while has garnered Norris votes over the years has never quite been a Norris finalist. Both players had Stanley Cup runs deserving of a Conn Smythe. Their career earnings have also been surprisingly similar.

So which player would you take? I'm sure some would lean towards the flash of Phil Kessel (Toronto went in this direction) but personally I would take Pietrangelo. 

I think it depends on your need. It’s a tough call if you don’t have either a top center or a top defenceman. I suppose then it depends who you believe has the higher ceiling. I like both those players but I am inclined to agree with you on taking Pieterangelo. If he wasn’t available, Kessel would be one hell of a consolation prize.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Screw said:

I think he is 2 years away.  The exciting part is that he and D-Peaty could break onto the team in the same year.

They could very well.

id agree that’s more likely and probably most ideal but if he has two monster off seasons and a crazy year it’s not out of the question he  makes the team next year 

• Vintage 1