The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

In Quesnel - snowing, -14 with a windchill factor of -23 tonight......trying to remember why I choose to live here.....brrrrr.....

It's supposed to get back to zero or even a little on the plus side by Tuesday. Maybe they just say that to give us hope?

I just feel bad for the poor guy who has to stand outside to determine what temperature it 'feels like'...

WLweather11182011.jpg

• Upvote 1

As long as the snow decides to stay up in the mountains, it is fine with me.

Whistler Mountain opened for its first runs of the 2011 snow season today, six days earlier than originally scheduled.

Closer to Vancouver, Grouse Mountain also benefited from the November snowfall, opening selected runs for its 85th winter season this afternoon at 3 p.m.

"We opened on Nov. 16th last year," said Grouse Mountain spokeswoman, Sarah Lusk, adding that initial openings this season and last were "fairly early" compared to most years past.

"We're limited with our terrain initially," Lusk said, noting runs Paradise Bowl and Heaven's Sake will be open this evening until 10 p.m. and will open Saturday at 9 a.m.

"The excitement is pretty high," she said. By 1 p.m. people were already hanging out in the parking lot, Lusk said. "It looks pretty good."

Another 20 cm of snow is expected at Grouse Mountain between now and early next week, she added.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Heavy+snow+hits+Metro+Vancouver+overnight/5729270/story.html#ixzz1e6L1d3wm

Went up to Cypress today.

They got 16cm's of fresh powder, was amazing even if half the runs were not open yet. Felt like they had a base of 200cm's. No black spots or anything.

They also cleared up the roads amazingly after 16cm's last night.

Here's a picture I took with my phone.

Cypressfirstrun2012.jpg

Edited by warmplate
  • Upvote 1

The commute Monday morning could be an adventure snow and wind in the forecast.

Monday morning commuters should gird for battle with a windy blast of winter, according to Environment Canada’s forecast for the Lower Mainland.

While the temperature is expected to hover above the freezing mark at lower elevations, two to four centimetres of snow is expected to fall, beginning before dawn with southeast winds reaching up to 60 kilometres per hour.

“It looks like the snow will be starting up around 4 or 5 a.m.,” meteorologist John McIntyre told The Province.

“It’s a warm front coming in, so we’ll see the freezing level slowly going up.”

McIntyre predicted the snow won’t turn to rain until late in the morning — sometime between 10 and 11 a.m.

“At some of the higher elevations, it won’t be turning over [to rain] until late morning,” he said.

Drivers in the Fraser Valley will probably have to deal with freezing rain in the interlude between the snow and rain.

“When the maritime air comes in with its moisture, it takes some hours for it to scour out the cold air to get rid of it, and then [the air] becomes all warm,” said McIntyre.

By Monday night, the freezing level will reach the tops of the North Shore mountains, he added.

The high on Tuesday at the official weather station at Vancouver International Airport is expected to hit a relatively balmy 11 degrees.

The weatherman’s job will get easier as the week wears on — expect rain and seasonal temperatures.

http://www.theprovince.com/Snow+cold+wind+expected+during+Monday+morning+commute/5741259/story.html#ixzz1eIQvyThx