The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stuck On Homework? **The Homework Thread v0.01** is here!

More-is-on

Not sure how many will see this, but just wanted to let people know I don't mind helping people understand their homework/studying better. I have a degree in Business (Accounting), was a top student, tutored about a dozen peers in University, and worked a semester as a TA, grading assignments and the like. I won't be coming back to check this thread, so you'll have to PM me, but I'm happy to help.

Subjects I have a strong knowledge of:

Corporate finance

Financial math

Statistics

Management science

Financial accounting

Quantitative analysis/research

Not sure how many will see this, but just wanted to let people know I don't mind helping people understand their homework/studying better. I have a degree in Business (Accounting), was a top student, tutored about a dozen peers in University, and worked a semester as a TA, grading assignments and the like. I won't be coming back to check this thread, so you'll have to PM me, but I'm happy to help.

Subjects I have a strong knowledge of:

Corporate finance

Financial math

Statistics

Management science

Financial accounting

Quantitative analysis/research

• 5 months later...

Math Question! This is about grade a grade 10/11 question. I had a middle school teacher tackle it but she didn't have/know the formula so she couldn't show me.

-----------------

Proportional Reasoning (formula required)

A tennis ball is served from a height of 8 feet and just clears the net that is 3 feet high. The server is 40 feet from the net. If the ball travels in a straight path, how far on the other side of the net does the ball land?

-----------------

Much appreciated if someone could explain it for me. I'm terrible at math :sadno:

Math Question! This is about grade a grade 10/11 question. I had a middle school teacher tackle it but she didn't have/know the formula so she couldn't show me.

-----------------

Proportional Reasoning (formula required)

A tennis ball is served from a height of 8 feet and just clears the net that is 3 feet high. The server is 40 feet from the net. If the ball travels in a straight path, how far on the other side of the net does the ball land?

-----------------

Much appreciated if someone could explain it for me. I'm terrible at math :sadno:

Hey, so basically this just dealing with similar triangles and using proportions.

You know that the server is 8 feet high, and the net is 3 feet high. Assuming the server serves the ball linearly, it clears just above the net. You know that the distance the server is from the net is 40 feet. So if you draw your triangle:

260g5ch.jpg

You're trying to find the overall distance, which I've labelled as L. So then the distance from where the ball lands and the net is considered L-40. The property of similar triangles is basically using ratios, where the smaller triangle is proportional to the larger triangle (or vice versa). So if you wrote it out, you would have:

3/(L-40) = 8/L

The ratios can be switched around, but have to "match" as they are proportional (ie. if you write length/height for one ratio, do so for the other ratio).

Through cross-multiplication, you can now solve for L (I'm assuming you can do algebra here) to get L = 64 feet. (Edit: Whoops, it wants how far the ball is from the net, so just take L-40 = 24 feet.)

Hope that helps, I was bored lol. IMO the most important part is knowing how to draw the triangle. The rest is a piece of cake.

If my post wasn't too clear, you can also have a look-see here: http://www.math.com/...s/S1U2L4DP.html (I just googled it, but it should help if you don't understand)

I have a couple more questions if anyone is willing to help. I tried myself several times and still can't figure out so I'm not just a free loader, I just don't know how to solve completely. You guys are way better than me so these should be easy:

Statistical Reasoning:

1) Find an expression for the mean and standard deviation for the following data. Complete the calculations algebraically.

4a+6b a-b a+b 2a-2b

(I followed a video tutorial step by step and still can't get the answer simplified like it was shown. I got the square root of 6a+26b^2 over 4.)(I think the answer is suppose to only have one variable and not be sqaured so I'm way off. I tried a few different ways as well and still got an answer that can't be simplified further.)

-----------

Proportional Reasoning:

2) Bill started walking to town at a speed of 6km/hr. Thirty minutes later Sue wanted to catch up to Bill and started running at 12 km/hr. Draw a graph to show how long it would take for Sue to catch up to Bill.

-----------

That's it. Everything else I can figure out B)

• 2 months later...

Archived