The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

******OFFICIAL BLACKBERRY THREAD******

i am a beast

Pretty useful - and very funny - app: Drive Safe.ly.

Reads your texts/emails out to you when activated (when you're driving).

Get your friends to send you funny texts. Yes I realize I am immature, but you will laugh too!

Sorry my bad, it is the 9780 model.

How are you finding it?

My current phone plan will expire in a month or so, and I'm kind of waffling between the Blackbery Bold 9780 or the Blackberry Torch. What do you guys think?

I'd go with the 9780, but that's simply because I'm not a touch screen guy.

Make sure you haggle with retentions for a better deal :).

Hmm... Yeah, I was kind of leaning toward the Bold. Plus, the Torch is like the PSPGo to me; it looks nice when the keyboard is hidden and ugly when it isn't.

I went with the Torch cuz I wanted the bigger and touch screen.

If you don't like the slider...then go with the Bold.

I wish Rogers had the BB Style...I think my wife would have preferred that over the Curve.

Free Downloaded...

Unit Convertor Lite - pretty useful app.

Removed Weathereye...

It kept sending me updates (how much data would this use in a day?) on the weather and I found my battery life starting to drain a bit faster. Anyone else notice this? I might re-install it after doing some research.

Does anyone else have Ping? My battery seems to get drained a lot faster after I downloaded that app. Wondering if it happens to others or if it's just a coincidence (my battery's pretty old).

No Ping. Sorry. If your battery is old...it's time to get a new BB :towel:

I put the downloaded apps into a folder I created in the ALL tab. Under the Download tab...it showed nothing. Kinda useless to have a nothing in the Download tab. So when I removed the downloaded apps from the folder to show up in the ALL tab...it still didn't show up in the Download tab. Re-installed the apps and it once again shows up in the Download tab.

Downloaded free apps

Patternlock

NHL Gamecenter

Google Maps

Google Mobile App

XE Currency

Daily Horoscope

Unit Converter Lite

TSN Mobile

Decided not to load Scoremobile since I only really care about NHL and will wait for the Canucks app to be available for the Torch.

Thinking of actually paying for Buddyguard App ($3.99). Locks, Locate, and can remotely wipe phone if ever stolen or lost. Will prevent someone from switching SIM cards to use the phone.

I went with the Torch cuz I wanted the bigger and touch screen.

If you don't like the slider...then go with the Bold.

I wish Rogers had the BB Style...I think my wife would have preferred that over the Curve.

Free Downloaded...

Unit Convertor Lite - pretty useful app.

Removed Weathereye...

It kept sending me updates (how much data would this use in a day?) on the weather and I found my battery life starting to drain a bit faster. Anyone else notice this? I might re-install it after doing some research.

WeatherEye doesn't send me updates, but since I don't have data when I leave a wifi area I get a text saying, "You have attempted to use data blah blah"

No Ping. Sorry. If your battery is old...it's time to get a new BB :towel:

I put the downloaded apps into a folder I created in the ALL tab. Under the Download tab...it showed nothing. Kinda useless to have a nothing in the Download tab. So when I removed the downloaded apps from the folder to show up in the ALL tab...it still didn't show up in the Download tab. Re-installed the apps and it once again shows up in the Download tab.

Downloaded free apps

Patternlock

NHL Gamecenter

Google Maps

Google Mobile App

XE Currency

Daily Horoscope

Unit Converter Lite

TSN Mobile

Decided not to load Scoremobile since I only really care about NHL and will wait for the Canucks app to be available for the Torch.

Thinking of actually paying for Buddyguard App ($3.99). Locks, Locate, and can remotely wipe phone if ever stolen or lost. Will prevent someone from switching SIM cards to use the phone.

What does this app do? Can you watch games? :o.

NHL Gamecenter is free.

Similar to Scoremobile but just NHL.

It shows the games for today, next days, etc.

Shows scores, box review, pregame, news, etc.

It's a quick way for me to see the scores.

I only wish they fix it since I don't get an update notification as it should.

It should get a ping if someone scores in a game but I don't get it.

Removed Sportsnet Mobile - can't personalize it on the Torch.

Downloaded Poynt - seems useful...time will tell.

Anybody know where I could get Canucks wallpaper for the Blackberry Torch?

Looking for a Canuck logo...preferably with the 40th anniversary.

I downloaded poynt for my torch as well. Pretty useful.

How long does your battery usually last on your torch? I need to recharge every 3 days and that's with light usage.

At first it was 3 days prior to adding apps with light usage.

Then it was 2 days after adding apps with light to moderate usage.

I removed some apps that were running in the background (ie. Weathereye) so I'll see how well the battery lasts (I fully charged it last night).

Googled some battery saving tips...

1. Turned off Wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS functions - don't need that during the day at work (turn it back on when needed).

2. Set the backlight brightness to 10 and timeout to 10 sec - set to lowest setting possible.

3. Turned on Automatically dim backlight.

4. Turned LED notifications off for Phone (not messages) - I don't need to see it blinking if I can hear it ring.

5. Set auto on/off times - so I don't forget to turn it off at night.

Let's see how long the battery lasts with light to moderate useage.

Guest burrows

How much do you guys think at BB curve 9300 is worth.

-no scatches (150 - screen/back minor), black color, ...

I got offered one for $200 and the other $150

How much do you guys think at BB curve 9300 is worth.

-no scatches (150 - screen/back minor), black color, ...

I got offered one for $200 and the other $150

Check Craigslist, but I would take it and run.

You might be eligible for a hardware upgrade and can get a brand new BB for $150~

Pretty useful - and very funny - app: Drive Safe.ly.

Reads your texts/emails out to you when activated (when you're driving).

Get your friends to send you funny texts. Yes I realize I am immature, but you will laugh too!

Downloaded the Drive Safe.ly but uninstalled immediately. The app takes your message and sends it via internet to their website to translate into audio and send it back to you via internet. So you end up using data everytime you use it. If you don't have a data plan...you'll get charged for its useage.

I have a data plan but am monitoring it's useage to make sure I don't go over. I may re-install it after I figure out my monthly average useage.

Googled some battery saving tips...

1. Turned off Wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS functions - don't need that during the day at work (turn it back on when needed).

2. Set the backlight brightness to 10 and timeout to 10 sec - set to lowest setting possible.

3. Turned on Automatically dim backlight.

4. Turned LED notifications off for Phone (not messages) - I don't need to see it blinking if I can hear it ring.

5. Set auto on/off times - so I don't forget to turn it off at night.

Let's see how long the battery lasts with light to moderate useage.

Sitting at 35% left on the battery with light to moderate useage (ie. BBM, phone calls, music, gaming, casual browsing, and twitter.) So doing the above has made my BB last 4 days before require a recharge.

Downloaded the Drive Safe.ly but uninstalled immediately. The app takes your message and sends it via internet to their website to translate into audio and send it back to you via internet. So you end up using data everytime you use it. If you don't have a data plan...you'll get charged for its useage.

I have a data plan but am monitoring it's useage to make sure I don't go over. I may re-install it after I figure out my monthly average useage.

Sitting at 35% left on the battery with light to moderate useage (ie. BBM, phone calls, music, gaming, casual browsing, and twitter.) So doing the above has made my BB last 4 days before require a recharge.

TBH the app isn't very good since it only reads 25 words, unless you pay for premium.

BBs barely use any data though as everything's compressed. My brother, though not a heavy user, uses about 12MB a month!

Also, there's a new BB Bold being developed that includes touch screen and the physical keyboard on a Bold 9000 form factor: Blackberry Dakota.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-dakota-pictured-and-specs-revealed-keyboard-touchscreen-hd-video-and-more

Archived