The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

******OFFICIAL BLACKBERRY THREAD******

i am a beast

Went back to Blackberry for the 3rd time. Had the Bold 9700. Just got the 9780. Didn't expect the changes to be significant. But the tweaks they made in OS6 are giving me a new BB experience.

If there's still the Canucks group, would love an invite: 236C48B8

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't love my Torch anymore.

After getting an Ipod Touch...the Torch seems woefully inadequate when surfing the web. The Ipod was blazing fast when connected to WiFi at Starbucks compared to my BB Torch data plan (not on WiFi). The touchscreen is way better/smoother on the Ipod but I wish it had a trackpad like the Torch. Better overall web surfing experience with the Ipod. The camera on the Ipod is way better than the Torch too. Music is about the same.

However, BBM rocks. It's really useful since most of my friends have BBs.

Is it too much to ask for the best of both worlds??

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Have a 9700 Bold, and i'm hating the battery life. Even if my phone is fully charged in the morning and with minimal use, it will still die before the day is over :( I haven't even had it for a year yet...

BTW does anyone know how to get the flashplayer for youtube? For some reason it doesn't let me download it off my phone. I dunno if it's because I don't have data. I only use Wifi since I get wifi access at home, school, and at work, which are the places you'll usually find me lol. So I didn't think I need to pay the extra bucks for it.

Now that newer Telus phones use SIM cards, will I be able to unlock a Rogers Blackberry 9700 with regular unlock procedure and get it to work on Telus with one of their SIM cards?

Yes. You can do this with any GSM phone just as long as they use the same frequency (HSPA/UMTS - Rogers, Telus, Bell, AT&T, etc. and AWS - Wind, Mobilicity, T-Mobile)

I have a few questions about Blackberry and MSN Messenger. If I stayed online, would that count against my data, or would it only be when I send/receive messages? And how much data would it take up approximately?

Yes. The data is takes up isn't significant. Encryption FTW!

Have a 9700 Bold, and i'm hating the battery life. Even if my phone is fully charged in the morning and with minimal use, it will still die before the day is over :( I haven't even had it for a year yet...

BTW does anyone know how to get the flashplayer for youtube? For some reason it doesn't let me download it off my phone. I dunno if it's because I don't have data. I only use Wifi since I get wifi access at home, school, and at work, which are the places you'll usually find me lol. So I didn't think I need to pay the extra bucks for it.

Have you checked any apps running in the background? If you have FB, Twitter or apps that have auto updates, those can kill your battery life if you have the intervals set often.

If you guys have data plan, I strongly suggest checking out Blackberry Protect. You can locate your device (I got an accuracy of up to 3ft), remotely lock your device, display a message, etc. Pretty neat app and it's free!

Oh and I'm gonna make a new CDC Group. The current one is a bit too messy and there are no admins - I was the only admin but the BB I made the group with took a crap lol

Edit: New Barcode

197985_10150097521712093_510692092_6701855_6896490_n.jpg

Have you checked any apps running in the background? If you have FB, Twitter or apps that have auto updates, those can kill your battery life if you have the intervals set often.

Ohh interesting... I get a lot of updates from blackberry app world, could that be the reason? If so, how do I turn that off?

I have the 9700 bold and i think the battery life is fine... I charge it roughly every 2-3 days. And i browse the internet quite a bit.. how do you use your bb ?

Agree with Blackberry Protect. It's pretty awesome app.

Yep.

Also downloaded Blackberry Travel (just because it's free and from BB).

With moderate browsing and some power saving tips (but I have GPS on now cuz if it's off BB Protect is useless for tracking the device)...I'm getting 2 days before having to recharge.

I heard a rumor that BB/Apple/Android are making a cross-platform messenging (like BBM) service. If that's true...I might get the next-gen iPhone.

Downloaded Apps (free)...

Blackberry Protect

Blackberry Travel

Blackberry Traffic

Blackberry Appworld

Google Maps

Google Mobile App

Cineplex Mobile

Evernote

Patternlock Lite

DailyHoroscope

XE Currency

Unit Converter Lite

QR Code Scanner Pro

Poynt

Weathereye

NHL Gamecenter

Runtastic

The River Test

Angry Farm - Free Trial

Look and Listen - memory game

Facebook

Youtube

MySpace

Twitter

I had the Hangman (game) app but I uninstalled cuz I hated getting a notification every day for their daily pack.

Didn't get the Canucks app cuz it's not available for Torch.

Only the Canucks Live app is available for the Torch but it costs $10 (maybe I'll get it next season).

I'm having an issue with my Torch.

Under 'All' when I try to add a program/app to 'Favorites' the secondary menu that allows you to do this doesn't come up.

See example below, I can't get this menu to pop up.

Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?

bb6-mark-as-favorite.jpg

Thanks!

I'm quite enjoying the app: wi-fi manager. saves me a bit of battery life. what it does is turn off your wi-fi whenever you leave a saved location such as your home or school.

Wow that's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely have to download.

Archived