982 replies to this topic

#721 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

The Q10 will have the biggest battery ever put in a blackberry, even bigger than the one in the Bold 9000, 9700 & 9780.

#722 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

Sigh, got off work at 2pm and saw that the new OS update for bb10 was available. Got super excited, waited 40 minutes for it to download and install and reboot, quickly jumped to app world hoping to see new, awesome apps such as instagram, temple run, draw something..etc. But nope, still the same ol' garbage

Oh yeah such necessary apps...are you a 19 year old Asian girl?
Posted Image

#723 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

didn't realize 19 year old asian girls were the only ones who like to kill spare time on their phones

28mmdg5.jpg

Thanks to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome signature

egpcw0.gif

#724 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,460 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

But if this was the big update that they were talking about back in January to prepare the z10 for the US launch, won't not having native or at least android ported apps hurt their sales in the US? Why would US customers who know the app selection is crap on the z10 even with the new update buy it when they have dozens of other smart phones to choose from?

This wasn't an app update. The apps get added to BB World when they are ready. They are coming.

The camera is improved in this update, and battery life is now extremely good apparently. I'm on Bell so I can't get my update for another 3 days.
Moo

#725 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,460 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

didn't realize 19 year old asian girls were the only ones who like to kill spare time on their phones

There are tons of other apps for that. Alpha Zero is good. Asphalt...
Moo

#726 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

Yeah right. Because everyone should have the exact same interest in apps such as you. :rolleyes:
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#727 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

Most of the popular Android apps could be loaded on the z10, so I don't see any issues. Should be a good bandaid until those apps are programed for BB10.

It takes a while to get used to but so far my z10 is pretty good. Got all my 8-bit ringtones loaded (Bubble Bobble for ringer and FF Prelude for alarm) and am now just waiting for better camera apps.

One issue is that there aren't too many places that sell cases for the phone. I'm not really keen on heading down to those large electronics stores and paying like 30-50 bucks for a screen protector and case. Anyone know of anywhere that has cheap cases?

Edited by Lancaster, 04 March 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#728 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,460 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Most of the popular Android apps could be loaded on the z10, so I don't see any issues. Should be a good bandaid until those apps are programed for BB10.

It takes a while to get used to but so far my z10 is pretty good. Got all my 8-bit ringtones loaded (Bubble Bobble for ringer and FF Prelude for alarm) and am now just waiting for better camera apps.

One issue is that there aren't too many places that sell cases for the phone. I'm not really keen on heading down to those large electronics stores and paying like 30-50 bucks for a screen protector and case. Anyone know of anywhere that has cheap cases?

Try amazon? Crackberry?

I got a set of 3 screen protector films for $10 off amazon. I don't use a case.
Moo

#729 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

A lot of the ports that are available out there to sideload to the z10 don't work on the z10. For example, apps like myfitnesspal, temple run 2, mobile banking apps (TD for myself), instagram and others can all be put on your phone, but when you actually try to use them they force close themselves.

28mmdg5.jpg

egpcw0.gif

#730 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

A lot of the ports that are available out there to sideload to the z10 don't work on the z10. For example, apps like myfitnesspal, temple run 2, mobile banking apps (TD for myself), instagram and others can all be put on your phone, but when you actually try to use them they force close themselves.

If you wanted apps, you should've chose Android or iOS. This is the reason why I didn't get a blackberry, since I knew that the lack of apps would be its biggest weakness and it would still be its biggest weakness 2-3 years down the road. I own a playbook and there is still no apps for skype.

Posted Image

#731 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,877 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

eBay is a good place to look. My brother got a case for $5 (including screen protector and shipping)

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#732 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

finally got instagram working

28mmdg5.jpg

egpcw0.gif

#733 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

Still waiting on a release date for the Q10. I'm hoping its the first week of April.
And then, I can make the decision of leaving the physical keyboard or not (I'm thinking I won't but we'll see).

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#734 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

Still waiting on a release date for the Q10. I'm hoping its the first week of April.
And then, I can make the decision of leaving the physical keyboard or not (I'm thinking I won't but we'll see).

I tried typing on my old 9900 last night and my thumbs were sore after. Z10 keyboard is really good, having said that, for my next phone, I'm getting a physical keyboard...I guess Q11?
Posted Image

#735 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,877 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

I WAS a big physical keyboard supporter until I played with my brother's Z10. Very accurate, and the autocorrect is great (I personally think it makes better guesses than iPhone's autocorrect).

Now I'm torn between Z10 for screen space, or Q10 for keyboard+bigger battery.

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#736 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

I WAS a big physical keyboard supporter until I played with my brother's Z10. Very accurate, and the autocorrect is great (I personally think it makes better guesses than iPhone's autocorrect).

Now I'm torn between Z10 for screen space, or Q10 for keyboard+bigger battery.

I've really wanted to try one, but I haven't made it into a TELUS or the sort to try it out, I've only held one of the fake models and I thought it was decent sized.
That was something else I was looking at as well, the Q10's battery. Just seems more appealing to me, but without the trackpad, I'm wondering how weird that's going to be (I have a 9700 and 9780) so I just don't know what I'll finally decide on.

Posted Image

#737 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

How's everyone finding the battery life after the OS update? I charged mine at 12 yesterday and it lasted me until 1 today. I used it the same amount if not more then I normally would. It wasn't connected to WIFI, but that can't have been the reason it lasted so long.
Posted Image

#738 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

Got Netflix, Instagram, Words With Friends, Snap Chat, 4 Pics 1 Word, gameboy emulator with a couple pokemon games all on my phone and working completely fine :) The navigating through menus on Netflix is a tad bit slow, but the streaming is seamless and fast.

28mmdg5.jpg

egpcw0.gif

#739 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

Yeah right. Because everyone should have the exact same interest in apps such as you. :rolleyes:

Now we're talking :D

I'm pretty intrigued by the Q10...but at the same time I'm thinking, do I need it? I'm currently using [and loving] my 9900. How much of an upgrade could it really be? I'd need another 3 year contract to HUP (or shell out $500-600) and more data since apparently the BB10 phones won't compress data through BIS; I currently have a 50MB plan that I never go over and I pay a very good price for voice and data.
Posted Image

#740 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:18 AM

How's everyone finding the battery life after the OS update? I charged mine at 12 yesterday and it lasted me until 1 today. I used it the same amount if not more then I normally would. It wasn't connected to WIFI, but that can't have been the reason it lasted so long.

Usually I still have like 60%+ after 12 hours. Use it for browsing, checking messages, listening to music/radio for a little bit. It's constantly connected with data.

I think a lot depends on which provider you're using. The weaker the signal, more power is required to maintain the connection.

#741 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

Digital media journalist Amber MacArthur on the Z10 - video is titled "Stuff you can do with your BB10".
http://www.theloop.c...-with-your-BB10

And here is an article on the battery recharger/expander covered in the video:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The BlackBerry Z10 is really nice smartphone, but its 1800mAh battery has rarely made it through the day on a single charge. This is the practical truth of many smartphones today; in the quest for the thinnest device, runtime is often the first thing to go.

But BlackBerry planned for this situation, releasing a battery charging kit with a second 1800mAh battery inside. The whole kit is extremely thin and light — barely heavier than the cell itself — with an input for a microUSB port for charging and a microUSB cord to charge the Z10 itself.

The combo allows you to have a fully-charged second battery available to you wherever you go, or you can use it to charge your current Z10 battery; either way, you should get roughly the same amount of savings from the cell.

Of course, you can use the Z10 charger on other microUSB-powered devices — it pushes enough current for practically any device on the market — but it was designed specifically for the Z10. It’s also quite an attractive little tool, fitting effortlessly into a bag or jacket pocket. There is a sliver of plastic covering the charging battery, so it won’t rustle around and get lost in your bag or purse.

It took about three hours to charge a dead battery to full, and the 1800mAh cell should be enough to get any smartphone to above 50%.

While $49.99 may be a bit much for such a combo, any die-hard BlackBerry Z10 user will want to invest in the branded charger.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/03/02/blackberry-z10-battery-charger-bundle-review/

Edited by Wetcoaster, 13 March 2013 - 02:41 PM.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#742 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

And the BlackBerry Mini Bluetooth Speaker:

And the BlackBerry Z10 Multimedia Dock:
http://n4bb.com/hand...ultimedia-dock/

One of the most anticipated accessory is the BlackBerry Z10 multimedia dock. We recently got to go hands-on with the unreleased accessory for the Z10.

The BlackBerry Z10 multimedia dock charges via the MicroUSB port. There is also a standard HDMI port. The multimedia dock is well weighted and feels sturdy.

One of the best things about the multimedia dock is you can keep the OEM Transform Case on while Z10 is docked. Check out the gallery of the multimedia dock below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#743 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Can't wait for the multimedia dock.

Whatsapp released, also BB sells one million units to a partner shipments beginning immediately. Good day for shareholders.
Posted Image

#744 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

New apps - http://n4bb.com/new-...days-3-13-2013/

Welcome to another edition of New App Wednesdays from BlackBerry. The [background=transparent !important]Developer[/background]Relations team has been [background=transparent !important]working[/background] hard and we are slowly starting to see some of the most wanted apps make their way into BlackBerry World. Today BlackBerry announced that alongside Amazon Kindle app we will also get the Amazon [background=transparent !important]shopping[/background] app and the Wall Street Journal.
So check below and start downloading!
Lifestyle & Utilities:Gaming:Video & TV:Social:Business & [background=transparent !important]Finance[/background]:News & Magazines:Latest App News: Wall Street Journal and Amazon Shopping Coming to BlackBerry World This Month!!!!!

#745 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Whatsapp released, also BB sells one million units to a partner shipments beginning immediately. Good day for shareholders.

Here is the Whatsapp homepage:
http://www.whatsapp.com/

How it works

WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform mobile messaging app which allows you to exchange messages without having to pay for SMS. WhatsApp Messenger is available for iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone and Nokia and yes, those phones can all message each other! Because WhatsApp Messenger uses the same internet data plan that you use for email and web browsing, there is no cost to message and stay in touch with your friends.

In addition to basic messaging WhatsApp users can create groups, send each other unlimited images, video and audio media messages.

#746 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Native Canucks app released.
Posted Image

#747 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,243 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

Rumours of a possible short squeeze have me checking the price like five times day lol.

#748 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:29 PM

Canucks app kind of sucks at the moment.
Posted Image

#749 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

When is the Q10 set to come out?
Posted Image

#750 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:58 AM

When is the Q10 set to come out?

There's no exact date as of right now, sometime in April probably. Subscribe to updates at blackberry.com for further news.

On another note, I tried a Z10 today at Future Shop and had a tough time getting it out of demo mode, lol. I did like the whole keyboard function's and whatnot, found it fairly easy to type, but I think I'm already too fixed on my physical keyboard. Then again, if the Q10 doesnt get released soon I will have to buy the Z10. My 9780 is falling apart!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.