The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Playoff Indicator Chart 2011

cleowin

How about leave our goal as in to win all of our remaining games left rather than just thinking to clinch a play-off spot?

Atleast, hope that Canucks can win most of the games left. Winning ALL of them would be obviously better though. I believe! :)

If noone in the division can catch us, we've clinched because we're automatically seeded third. Makes Nashville irrelevant.

And why did you have to move all that crap in here and clutter up an otherwise perfectly good thread?

Yeah, I didn't consider the division thing.

I moved this here because there was this one, plus 3 more threads made that weren't pinned. They were cluttering up Canucks Talk and I know there will be more and more made, so to be fair I am going to merge them all to this one since this was first and is already pinned.

Actually Yes. Your assumeing the other teams from 2-8 all win all of their games. Which would mean that none of them play eachother. Which in fact isn't mathematically possible, and due to Scheduleing isn't realalistic, therefor the canucks have clinched. I don't know why so many people +'d you but they probably weren't smart enough to realize this fact.

I don't know why everyone is making this so complicated.

If either the Wild or the Flames win ALL their remaining games, the most they could get is 103 points.

If we only get four more points, we fall behind them because both would hold the tiebreaker over us.

As of right now, five points - even if we tied five games and lost all the rest - would give us 104 total, the division title, and a guaranteed third-place seed, regardless of what anyone else in the conference does.

Simple!

I don't know why everyone is making this so complicated.

If either the Wild or the Flames win ALL their remaining games, the most they could get is 103 points.

If we only get four more points, we fall behind them because both would hold the tiebreaker over us.

As of right now, five points - even if we tied five games and lost all the rest - would give us 104 total, the division title, and a guaranteed third-place seed, regardless of what anyone else in the conference does.

Simple!

Apparently I'm not the only one who finds this problem interesting: here's a pertinent article on how difficult it is to determine when, exactly, a team clinches a playoff spot: http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~tcrussel/documents/canai08.pdf

They prove that than the media etc., who use simplistic calculations such as the Magic Number and division clinching, routinely report playoff clinching several days after it actually occurs. At the time the article was written, the authors claimed to have implemented the only complete solution to the NHL playoff clinching problem, so I don't know if this is available on any websites.

Just to be clear, the Canucks have NOT yet clinched a playoff spot, but it's plausible they may still do so BEFORE they clinch the division. No-one has yet proved or disproved whether we can clinch before winning the division.

Apparently I'm not the only one who finds this problem interesting: here's a pertinent article on how difficult it is to determine when, exactly, a team clinches a playoff spot: http://www.cs.uwater...nts/canai08.pdf

They prove that than the media etc., who use simplistic calculations such as the Magic Number and division clinching, routinely report playoff clinching several days after it actually occurs. At the time the article was written, the authors claimed to have implemented the only complete solution to the NHL playoff clinching problem, so I don't know if this is available on any websites.

Just to be clear, the Canucks have NOT yet clinched a playoff spot, but it's plausible they may still do so BEFORE they clinch the division. No-one has yet proved or disproved whether we can clinch before winning the division.

Dont we just need to reach 104 points to clinch the division?

Minni has 13 games remaining, max of 26 points + 77 current = 103, ROW would be 41.

So we need 5 points from 12 games :lol:

OR if we got to 103 we would have more ROW points than Minni.....unless we picked up those 5 points from SO losses :P

How can CHI drop 1 point and 0.5?

Did you mean DAL dropped one point?

ALSO PLEASE EVERYONE STOP FIGHTING OVER WHEN WE HAVE CINCHED we will have offically done it when there is an x or y beside the Canucks name until then this is stupid.

Sunday, March 13th, 2011:

Magic Number Charts have been updated!

CHI and ANA Dropped 1 Point!

CHI dropped 0.5 Points!

EDM has officially been eliminated from post-season contention!

Archived