The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official Nintendo 3DS Thread

Captain Bob

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I'll be picking up Pokemon when it comes out then.......I still haven't even finished Y or X. I say Y or X because I don't even remember which one I have. It's been that long.

I'll likely be going with a water starter again. I seem to do that with every single game.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished up Birthright today. It was fine, but I didn't like it anywhere near as much as most people seem to. I don't want to go on a tangent, but there are a lot of things I don't like about it. 

I'll end up watching a playthrough for it. 

Embarrassing as it is, I have a really had time with the puzzles and it kills a lot of the enjoyment for me.

15 hours ago, Incursio said:

I'll end up watching a playthrough for it. 

Embarrassing as it is, I have a really had time with the puzzles and it kills a lot of the enjoyment for me.

I mean that's fair.

But in terms of puzzle solving, the series has the most satisfying "ahah!" moments when you figure things out. Adding in the really weirdly stringed story that you have to explore through with choices, it's an experience and a half.

I managed to track down a copy of the new Zero Escape. Gotta say, the beginning of the game was quite awful though, lol. The false choice with the coin started me off on the worng foot. Congrats, I guess I beat the game in 2 minutes. 

All that aside, the game is confusing in all the wrong ways, to start off with. Not in that vague, mysterious way that the second game did either. It's in that weird in between, when the premise of this game was explained as you beat the last.

But the game has all the time in the world to pick up. And I entirely expect it to.

43 minutes ago, Incursio said:

How's the atmosphere in the game? Seems like they went for more of a horror look this time

Seems more like a straight adaptation of Saw than the last one. The main antagonist even has the same muffled voice effect as Jigsaw.

I don't know if it's more straight horror without getting far into it, but it does seem more dreary for whatever reason. More hopeless.

I don't know how to explain certain things without spoilers, but the three last survivors from the end of the last game are present, and form one of the three teams that are both working together, and against one another.

Hmm. Sounds pretty interesting. 

Still waiting for the guy I watched play the first two games to start on this one >.>

I finished Zero Time Dilemma a couple days ago. The ending is just nuts, and so are all of the big plot reveals leading up to it. Similar to the ending of VLR, there's really no way you could ever predict what's coming so the payoff is definitely worth the wait if you're in it for the plot. Its definitely bloodier and a lot more eerie in different ways... its kind of impressive how many different gruesome ways they thought of for the characters to die this time.

Only downside I would mention is that with the floating fragments, there were a couple of points where I flat out didn't know what to do because I'd completed all of the ones I'd unlocked and there was nothing directing me towards what I had to do next, so I had to resort to googling a solution which I never had to do in 999 or VLR. I think having a plot that isn't linear is ambitious but it was a little annoying wasting time on guessing which fragment I had to jump back to and replay in order to advance further.

Overall though, I thoroughly enjoyed it, I haven't finished a game that quickly in a while since I just couldn't put it down. Tough to see the Zero Escape series come to an end but I'm just thankful we even got a chance to see the third one be released.

• 1 month later...
On 2016-08-21 at 2:22 PM, GLASSJAW said:

I'm thinking about buying a 3DS 

Is there any difference between buying a "new 3ds" and a "new 3ds XL" other than physical size?

do you guys recommend the XL or regular?

I'm still using the "old" regular 3DS. Its got some physical damage, so I've been considering getting a new one myself. I personally just prefer the regular sized ones because they fit in your pocket pretty easily. The biggest pro of the XL is the screen size/resolution, you'll be able to notice more small details on the display that way. I think other differences are pretty minor. The regular version also has the changeable faceplates option but that doesn't affect the performance at all, its purely for aesthetic.

I bought Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam out of boredom the other day and I already regret it. The game is so bogged down with tutorials and hand holding that its almost insulting, its like it assumes you've never played a video game before. If you had the option to skip all the tutorials that'd be fine but most of them are mandatory, there are also a lot of mini side quests which are mandatory as well. I liked Dream Team (even though it had a number of tutorials as well) but this one is struggling to keep my interest, there are so many little hints and details designed to make the game as easy as possible. Its kind of stunning seeing the difference from Superstar Saga (which I loved as a kid) and this iteration.

I'll probably keep playing it to get my money's worth but I think I'm gonna eventually trade it in for store credit at EB and get a discount on Bravely Second, which was another game I've been on the fence about. I just need something to hold me over until SMT and Pokemon.

I recently decided to pick up a 3DS XL, and - after going through 2 of them with Stuck Pixels on the top screen; I am finally in business. XD - Picked up Pokemon Y, New Super Mairo Bros 2, Fire Emblem Fates Conquest, Zelda a Link between worlds, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, and Ocarina of Time 3d.

Now, considering the last Pokemon game I played before Y was Leaf Green...what a jump; Kids have it easy these days, Companions following you around healing you, the ability to outlevel everything with ease, bonus experience and growth from training/playing with your pokemon..

Back in mah day, you clicked the button, and it did the thing, and that was it.

I have to say, Wonder Trades, Game Sync and all that jazz are pretty amazing, and I finally have a Mew after 17 years, there is alot more "Side-Crap" to do in the Pokemon games nowadays.

15 hours ago, Chris said:

I recently decided to pick up a 3DS XL, and - after going through 2 of them with Stuck Pixels on the top screen; I am finally in business. XD - Picked up Pokemon Y, New Super Mairo Bros 2, Fire Emblem Fates Conquest, Zelda a Link between worlds, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, and Ocarina of Time 3d.

Now, considering the last Pokemon game I played before Y was Leaf Green...what a jump; Kids have it easy these days, Companions following you around healing you, the ability to outlevel everything with ease, bonus experience and growth from training/playing with your pokemon..

Back in mah day, you clicked the button, and it did the thing, and that was it.

I have to say, Wonder Trades, Game Sync and all that jazz are pretty amazing, and I finally have a Mew after 17 years, there is alot more "Side-Crap" to do in the Pokemon games nowadays.

They've definitely tried to make Pokemon more friendly to new players. I think there's pros and cons to that. I turned my EXP Share off for the main story because it makes things way too easy, but I did turn it on for the postgame because it makes training go a lot faster. Technology's given the series a lot more potential though, I agree with you there. Back in the day there was no chance you'd ever get a Mew without hacking or going to a Nintendo event (which were rarely in Canada). :unsure:

• 1 month later...

I just finished up SMT IV: Apocalypse. It was definitely easier than SMT IV in a lot of ways, but still challenging, so if you felt that the original was too tough this one is probably a safer bet. There are a lot of healing locations in the game as well as a support gauge that allows all your partners to attack the enemy at once when it fills up (as well as heal you or boost your stats) which wipes out bosses a lot quicker than the original. I was playing on the Conflict (normal) difficulty though, so I don't know how the tougher difficulty might impact the new gameplay features.

The path you take is a lot more neutral as well. A lot of the characters are pretty cliche, but that didn't bother me too much as I just like the franchise as a whole. There definitely are some amusing moments along with some dark ones but the plot isn't too intense. I played it non-stop when I had free time for the most part - the only exception to this was the end of the game which I thought dragged on a bit too long. There's a moment where everything seems resolved and peaceful and then without any foreshadowing you're basically guided towards fighting what's supposed to be the true final boss, and it felt very detached from the rest of the game. The last fight is easily the most difficult part of the game and it took me a few tries to beat, so I appreciated that, but the build-up was pretty lame and almost undermined the entirety of the game leading up to that point.

I'd put it in my top three for the year so far, along with Zero Escape and Fire Emblem. Now the wait for Pokemon begins.

15 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I just finished up SMT IV: Apocalypse. It was definitely easier than SMT IV in a lot of ways, but still challenging, so if you felt that the original was too tough this one is probably a safer bet. There are a lot of healing locations in the game as well as a support gauge that allows all your partners to attack the enemy at once when it fills up (as well as heal you or boost your stats) which wipes out bosses a lot quicker than the original. I was playing on the Conflict (normal) difficulty though, so I don't know how the tougher difficulty might impact the new gameplay features.

The path you take is a lot more neutral as well. A lot of the characters are pretty cliche, but that didn't bother me too much as I just like the franchise as a whole. There definitely are some amusing moments along with some dark ones but the plot isn't too intense. I played it non-stop when I had free time for the most part - the only exception to this was the end of the game which I thought dragged on a bit too long. There's a moment where everything seems resolved and peaceful and then without any foreshadowing you're basically guided towards fighting what's supposed to be the true final boss, and it felt very detached from the rest of the game. The last fight is easily the most difficult part of the game and it took me a few tries to beat, so I appreciated that, but the build-up was pretty lame and almost undermined the entirety of the game leading up to that point.

I'd put it in my top three for the year so far, along with Zero Escape and Fire Emblem. Now the wait for Pokemon begins.

are the SMT games connected narratively? do I have to play them in order?

if not, which would you recommend starting with for 3DS?

Archived