The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rioting in Vancouver Tonight

DonLever

And you know that these people being outted on facebook for saying "The Riots were awesome" actually set stuff on fire? Actually got into a fight? The point is, this vigilante justice is NOT justice.

So someone who kicked in a window or took a $300 purse or flipped a car deserves to have their future destroyed for one drunken mistake? Instead, you'd rather destroy their lives? Right, make them live on E.I. for 6 months and cost tax payers MORE money... that makes sense...

So no one here has downloaded $100,000 worth of music/movies from torrents? Oh right, big music and movie companies make millions so it's ok... but London drugs, they need our help.

Maybe you've been a model citizen your entire life Deb, but most people haven't - most of us make mistakes. I'm not saying they should be given anonymity, or get off scott free - I'm saying we have no right to impose our own mob justice on them and wreck the lives and careers of teens who got drunk and made a mistake. They should be punished, they should have to pay their dues, but not by us. That's why we have the police, the courts and a government.

This is all just about vengeance because everyone is angry. This isn't about justice.

Again, if these people's "lives are destroyed" because we're calling extra attention to what they did, then that's their issue, not mine. I'm not destroying anyone's lives - they are. So let's let them wear that badge...they sure were on Wednesday.

I've made mistakes but, in that, have paid for them and these people should do the same.

And yes, some of these were simply kids going along for the ride...so let's deter them from making a habit of it.

Downloading music is something quite different than kicking the crap out of strangers or playing frisbee with glass shards. So let's keep things in perspective and don't deflect from one by using another.

There were also some very violent acts that took place and more than just "mistakes"...some of this was calculated and there's no room for it here. Sorry, no one I know packs rags and fuel starter and that, to me, is not a mistake. It's a bone headed move.

And no, I don't think we should attack these people or retaliate. But this will change the face of this city for awhile...so, am I pissed? Yeah. As someone who's lived/paid taxes here my entire life, you're damn right I'm angry. Events that may have been planned here in the future will be impacted by this. Some people were very shaken up by this. So it's not just a matter of pissing in someone's planter...these "mistakes" will have an impact on people and we have a right to be angry.

So don't pull the "perfect citizen" crap...we're not talking about me.

one of his friends is defending him on that youtube apology by telling people to f off. yup, that'll make us forgive him. laugh.gif

people have to realize that with the power of social media, you are going to be judged whether it is warranted or not and that it will never leave once it's on the internet. I'm sure that riot is a lesson to a lot of people that they can't get away with this type of behavior in the future.

Their sympathizers disgust me almost as much as they do. I don't think I could ever forgive these scumbags for what they did.

Also, for the folks that haven't time to visit The Bay downtown to look at the public art, here's an online version: http://thisisourvancouver.com/

Edit: I should add that I'm usually a forgiving person but I get the vibe that if you give those idiots an inch, they'll take a mile.

And you know that these people being outted on facebook for saying "The Riots were awesome" actually set stuff on fire? Actually got into a fight? The point is, this vigilante justice is NOT justice.

So someone who kicked in a window or took a $300 purse or flipped a car deserves to have their future destroyed for one drunken mistake? Instead, you'd rather destroy their lives? Right, make them live on E.I. for 6 months and cost tax payers MORE money... that makes sense...

So no one here has downloaded $100,000 worth of music/movies from torrents? Oh right, big music and movie companies make millions so it's ok... but London drugs, they need our help.

Maybe you've been a model citizen your entire life Deb, but most people haven't - most of us make mistakes. I'm not saying they should be given anonymity, or get off scott free - I'm saying we have no right to impose our own mob justice on them and wreck the lives and careers of teens who got drunk and made a mistake. They should be punished, they should have to pay their dues, but not by us. That's why we have the police, the courts and a government.

This is all just about vengeance because everyone is angry. This isn't about justice.

Am I the only one whos getting a bit disturbed by the vigilante hate justice and witch hunt going around now?

What happened was shameful and wrong, but anyone who tipped over, burnt, smashed a car, or looted from stores DO NOT deserve to have their life destroyed from 1 mistake. We all know people who have shoplifted (maybe it was just a candy from a store, or shirt from value village), we all know people who have done stupid crap when they were younger and drunk - but do we crucify them?

Daddy probably had a pretty big influence on the crocodile tears.

Nope, not buying it....too easy that way....time to man up and pay the piper.

We all get "caught up in the moment at times" but, for most of us, we get a little louder or sillier. The stuff that Nathan did could've had serious consequence to others.

No sympathy at all....spoiled little rich boy should have known better and obviously has been afforded luxuries and opportunities that many others are not. Why does that matter?...because what bloody gripe does he have with society or this city to possibly explain his lashing out? I mean it seems that this city/country has been helping pave the way for possible future glory for him, and that's how he responds?

There's no way in hell that he should ever be afforded the privilege of representing Canada in any way, shape or form. He contributed to the shame and embarrassment that our city's been associated with and we all get to live with that. Plus, for some of the young people stuck down there (my young nephew), this event traumatized them and they get to live with the fear and anxiety of future gatherings and events. (They saw people using shards of glass as frisbees and randomly tossing them at people). These punks should not be let off easy because in front of Mommy and Daddy they turn into sniveling cry babies. They were tough guys on Wednesday, so that's how they should be treated.

Archived