The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC member Workout Routines

WHL rocks

The best way to get stronger is low reps but heavy weight. Be careful and use good form though. You will not get strong using an elliptical. In fact, cardio alone is a really time consuming way to burn calories. I'd suggest throwing in weight training for fat loss too.

If you're worried about hockey injuries, I'd suggest you build strength using some heavy compound lifting. This means things like deadlifts and squats. These exercises are especially good for hockey as they strengthen your core and legs. They also teach your core and legs to work together.

Elliptical work will help your cardio, which is not the most efficient way to train for hockey. Hockey is a sport that relies on small bursts of power. So things like strength and recovery rate are more important than pure cardio. You'd be much better off combining weight lifting and HIIT (high intensity interval training). An example of HIIT would be 20 seconds sprinting followed by 10 seconds rest, then 20 seconds sprinting and 10 seconds rest, etc....This is also the best way to raise your metabolism and burn fat.

Doing things like Eliptical training is a low intensity way to burn calories and can be good to supplement a weight training program, but that alone will just make you look like a marathon runner. Even then, it's really difficult to burn calories with low intensity cardio alone. You're goign to need a couple of hours a day on the machine to have significant results. There are much more efficient ways to burn calories.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

I do the elliptical mainly to help my cardio for when i play tennis. But you're definitely right about needing to add some weight training into the mix. The elliptical is not efficient at all and it's difficult to devote that much time to a workout. On some days, there aren't enough hours in the day to devote 1.5 hours just to being on one machine

Thanks again :)

What is this nonsense about deadlifts being a back exercise? If anything, it's mostly your legs. Try doing a 5x5 of deadlifts then leg presses or extensions and tell me that you're pressing what you normally would. Improving other back exercises has not improved my deadlift one iota.

What is this nonsense about deadlifts being a back exercise? If anything, it's mostly your legs. Try doing a 5x5 of deadlifts then leg presses or extensions and tell me that you're pressing what you normally would. Improving other back exercises has not improved my deadlift one iota.

depends on how you do the deadlift. I do 5x5 deads on back day and my lower back is sore AF the next day. If you keep your legs straight during the lift then it focuses in your hamstrings i think.

I go to the gym, size up my opponents and quickly realize I'm far superior. I then proceed to crush weights in a primeval and animalistic fashion. Nobody else exists to me, except perhaps an enchanting maiden that I catch a glimpse of briefly, then it's back to slay the demon machines. When I work out I have a bad attitude. I'm not happy until the battlefield is bloodied and empty. No phone. No smiles. No laughter. Only battle. The war drums beat in my ears as my engine revs up to full capacity and I unleash my fury.

Then I take a sip of water.

Not sheriff srs.

Deadlifts are a compound movement that utilize BOTH legs and and back. Reason you're not able to do leg press/extensions the same weight after your deadlift is because you've already stressed and fatigue the muscle group.

You're telling me you can still row the same amount of weight after deadlifting?

Archived