The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dota 2

dawm

Same could be said about League of Legends.

i guess so. i mean, i know LoL is popular, but i (personally) don't know anyone who plays it.

seems like everyone uses Steam, though, and everyone loves one of: left 4 dead, team fortress 2, half life, so you'd think a new, mega hyped, mega popular game like Dota from valve would be a hot topic.

i know it's still in beta, but i have keys i can't even give away at this point.

anyway, the game is super difficult, but man is it fun. i've only got a couple hours under my belt, and only play against bots for now, but i love it despite a terrible first impression, some months ago

i guess so. i mean, i know LoL is popular, but i (personally) don't know anyone who plays it.

seems like everyone uses Steam, though, and everyone loves one of: left 4 dead, team fortress 2, half life, so you'd think a new, mega hyped, mega popular game like Dota from valve would be a hot topic.

i know it's still in beta, but i have keys i can't even give away at this point.

anyway, the game is super difficult, but man is it fun. i've only got a couple hours under my belt, and only play against bots for now, but i love it despite a terrible first impression, some months ago

There's actually quite a decent number of current/former CDC'ers that play. Most notable ones are Krazz, StealthCanuck, and Dellins (Dellins probably quit tho).

The MOBA genre really only adheres to a certain type of people. And a game like DOTA II would seem very very intimidating to those that have never touched a MOBA game before.

I have six keys that I've been trying to give away for free for months now, but nobody wants it...

From experience. I think the reason for the high difficulty is due to the fact that most (if not all) the heroes are very imbalanced. So if you get caught, it's basically GG. Also their UI is takes a bit of time to learn.

• 1 month later...

The MOBA genre really only adheres to a certain type of people. And a game like DOTA II would seem very very intimidating to those that have never touched a MOBA game before.

From experience. I think the reason for the high difficulty is due to the fact that most (if not all) the heroes are very imbalanced. So if you get caught, it's basically GG. Also their UI is takes a bit of time to learn.

it's not a game for 'casual' players that's for sure. it takes time, if not commitment to really learn how to play properly. but what really annoys me about the average low level game (which i'm still stuck in) is how there's a mad dash for: drow, zeus, sniper. every game has these heroes, and every game usually has 2, sometimes 3 on one team. so people are stuck choosing slightly more complicated heroes that they have no idea how to play, and it's game over.

i've lost SO many games because of this garbage. it's so frustrating how people don't have any interest in countering a hero, they just choose some stuff--seemingly randomly--and get raped.

ugh!

it's not a game for 'casual' players that's for sure. it takes time, if not commitment to really learn how to play properly. but what really annoys me about the average low level game (which i'm still stuck in) is how there's a mad dash for: drow, zeus, sniper. every game has these heroes, and every game usually has 2, sometimes 3 on one team. so people are stuck choosing slightly more complicated heroes that they have no idea how to play, and it's game over.

i've lost SO many games because of this garbage. it's so frustrating how people don't have any interest in countering a hero, they just choose some stuff--seemingly randomly--and get raped.

ugh!

Can't expect much for low tier games. it'll always be hell. Best you can do is just carry yourself out, if you're good enough. Don't rely on teammates to win, rely on your own skills.

I haven't played the game in months now, so I'm unsure of the state of the game. But when I did all I did was choose the sniper and just farm all game. Then eventually I'll build enough damage to just completely melt everyone.

You can probably just take what I just wrote with a grain of salt tho. I didn't really take this game seriously, as it's not my cup of tea (I prefer League of Legends). So I didn't bother learning the more complicated mechanics of the game.

It's a very daunting game to pick up for people who haven't played Dota (in WC3), HoN, or LoL or another of the other variants out there. A very large number of heroes, each with a different set of skills, and all the items and equipment that can be purchased and made, it's no wonder the learning curve is so steep.

It's not just a matter of learning the skills of your hero, but also understanding what counters what, which abilities of which heroes synergize together, knowing when and how to pull creeps, placing wards, Roshing, etc. etc. etc.

A lot of things for a new player to learn.

I'm absolutely terrible at Dota 2 since I didn't play any of the other dota-style games.

I've also got a bunch of free keys if anyone wants them.

i never played any other dota style games either, but it seems pretty easy to me, since everyone LITERALLY PICKS THE EXACT SAME HEROES EACH GAME

just quickly open up a google tab and search "drow ranger counter," pick Viper, and you're good to go.

if someone is zeus and/or sniper, grab Huskar or Spirit Breaker and your lane should rack up 20 kills

(don't get me wrong, i suck too, but so does everyone in my game, as it's so low level--but still!)

as it's not my cup of tea (I prefer League of Legends). So I didn't bother learning the more complicated mechanics of the game.

why do you prefer LoL over Dota2?

(don't get me wrong, i suck too, but so does everyone in my game, as it's so low level--but still!)

why do you prefer LoL over Dota2?

I don't like pacing of the game. Feels really off when compared to League of Legends. There are other reasons, but I'm not too sure on how to explain it.

Just personal preference really.

Although, I gotta say I love the business model that Valve is doing, but that's a given, since it is Valve. :P

Been playing Dota 2 quite a bit more the last few days, and I'm liking it quite a bit.

I have a few friends who are good at it, and I've been learning. Been cutting my teeth playing mostly support roles, and being the slow/stun biatch for my team (lol).

I'd like to get better with good team heroes like Sand King or Tidehunter. Currently been using rather easy heroes like Lich and such to get a feel for it.

I just started and am like level 4 or something, so I'm not good. My friends are pretty good players, but they made new accounts so we don't play against extremely good players (due to me being bad at it atm).

Keeper of the Light is what people call "Gandalf", yes?

just played some games with Lich, man he's vicious

played about 12 games in the last few days, mostly with Tidehunter, Lich, and Lion, won most of them with relative ease

this game is crazy addicting

but i'm still total garbage with some heroes, particularly phantom assassin and troll warlord, especially late game. which is unfortunate, because they're so fun to play ;(

Well, Phantom Assassin and Troll Warlord are pretty hard carries, and late-game is when they truly shine, if they've gotten good farm and are jacked with items.

Troll is insanely strong if farmed.

I'm still not good enough at this game to play a carry, because I still find myself running around wasting time and not getting enough farm, as well as missing last hits from time to time.

I've been mostly playing Tidehunter, Lich, and I played a few games with Ogre Magi, Viper, Lifestealer and Sven.

This game is addicting, lol. Luckily I have a lot of friends who play, and they are good at it, so I don't have to play carries, hahahaha.

Archived