The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dota 2

dawm

I agree that it's important to learn support heroes very early in your Dota playing, but I think there's some big issues with playing support when you are playing low level games with random people

Primarily because most low level games are LOADED with carries. Viper, Spirit Breaker, Drow, etc. And these heroes can really chew up most non-experienced support in a few hits. It would be suuuper discouraging to play Lion against a full strength-based carry lineup, IMO

Shadow Demon has sort of fallen out of favour in the current pro meta, it seems. He was only picked a few times that I saw during TI3

One support that Jai forgot is Visage. IMO a pretty difficult hero, but without question the most popular support player of TI3, other than Chen/Io

Totally forgot to put in Visage. I even said to myself to add it in the last grouping but then proceeded to forget, haha.

The thing is, in low-level games, even though people are playing carries, they aren't going to be farmed, because they don't know what they're doing. Support heroes are the strongest heroes early-game, but don't scale well with items like most carries do.

It's not to say that playing support is easy, because it surely isn't. The best pro teams are the teams that have incredible support players. You just look at some of the games that Alliance played in TI3, and watch what Akke did to see that support heroes can break a game with incredible play.

I still think that learning to play the game is best learned by playing support. There's so much more to learn and understand as a support player than playing something stupid like a Drow Ranger, for example.

Drow is a good example of a bad hero that is picked in pub games because you don't need to actually do anything other than put your frost arrows on autocast and then right-click everything. Playing a Drow Ranger won't teach you a lot about the mechanics of the game. Sure, you need to know positioning and timing and who and when to attack, but there's not much else to learn other than last-hitting, but everyone should know how to do that.

Faceless Void is suddenly my favorite hero, although he is pretty tough to play with till you get something with more damage/attack speed.

Void can break games but his low hitpoints and poor attack at the beginning make him hard to play. He's ridiculously farm-dependent.

He wasn't picked much at all in the last International tourney.

I actually really don't like Void at all. Anti-Mage, Void, Lifestealer, etc. all just sorta bore me. All that farming! I don't have the attention span for it.

As I said in a previous post, I really prefer playing aggressive support, so my (current) favourites are Crystal Maiden, Vengeful Spirit, and if I'm feeling particularly trollish, then I shamelessly admit to enjoying a super aggressive lane Zeus.

Wish I could play Visage ;\

Also enjoy playing tanky heroes like Axe and Bristle.

A few friends of mine are pretty noobish and generally stick to heroes like Drow and Tide. If my team has a decent middle, then Vengeful Spirit and Drow make a totally, totally vicious lane.

DOTA 2 > LOL.

Screw LoL

Warlock is the champion of all supports.

Warlock is actually a terrible support, aside from Shadow Word healing your carry and Fatal Bonds being an easy harass, lacks disables/slows (other than his useless channeling slow which requires chain disable), has sub-par movespeed (295) and sorely needs levels and farm to be efficient in any role other than "drop bonds and ult", which in any semi-organized games, will have the other team gunning for you first every chance.

I actually really don't like Void at all. Anti-Mage, Void, Lifestealer, etc. all just sorta bore me. All that farming! I don't have the attention span for it.

As I said in a previous post, I really prefer playing aggressive support, so my (current) favourites are Crystal Maiden, Vengeful Spirit, and if I'm feeling particularly trollish, then I shamelessly admit to enjoying a super aggressive lane Zeus.

Wish I could play Visage ;\

Also enjoy playing tanky heroes like Axe and Bristle.

A few friends of mine are pretty noobish and generally stick to heroes like Drow and Tide. If my team has a decent middle, then Vengeful Spirit and Drow make a totally, totally vicious lane.

Then don't play those heroes as farmers? Play super aggressive in lane if you're playing with friends. Usually when I roll with friends, whenever we pick a farming hard carry we pair it with a strong aggressive support IE. Visage (easy to play when you can learn to micro-manage decently), Venomancer, Venge, Shadow Shaman etc.

Admittedly Lifestealer is actually my favorite hero, Facerush build (Phase->Drums-.Armlet->SNY) is so entertaining and high-risk high-reward in pubs, Medallion Prophet, which sadly isn't done as much anymore, is another of my favorite, with Tuskar rounding off the top 3.

But again, there's no "set-way" to play heroes, hell I play Drow often as a roaming Ganker maxing Silence/Arrows first and just piling on the AGI for aura after that, play Void with Aghs/Refresher

The game is going to be Free to Play ("with a twist") too. Hmm. I hope it's not loaded with advertising, or something.

mm I think it will just be to upgrade to P2P like Runescape etc, or like other guys said with real money purchases for gear (e.g. Rise of Camelot)

Rock on F2P

Void can break games but his low hitpoints and poor attack at the beginning make him hard to play. He's ridiculously farm-dependent.

He wasn't picked much at all in the last International tourney.

I just realized that after a few more games with him, he is extremely weak early-mid game.

I think they should allow it so ally heroes can move in the chronosphere, as of right now I'd rather pick Ursa over FV.

if someone wants to play, i can use my alternate account (level 7) and help out some noobs along the rough early levels, if you want

not willing to sabotage my main account stats though

Level means nothing btw. After 5ish games you will be placed where you belong on the mmr ladder. I made a new account and my first game was my only normal rated game. After that game I only solo qued into very high.

Level means nothing btw. After 5ish games you will be placed where you belong on the mmr ladder. I made a new account and my first game was my only normal rated game. After that game I only solo qued into very high.

Source?

Valve has never released any information/insight into how their match making system works, and your mmr ladder theory does not seem applicable to my experiences at all, and I have three accounts, two of which are very low level, and I am regularly put up against (and with) total trash, while I rack up 20 kills a game

Source?

Valve has never released any information/insight into how their match making system works, and your mmr ladder theory does not seem applicable to my experiences at all, and I have three accounts, two of which are very low level, and I am regularly put up against (and with) total trash, while I rack up 20 kills a game

I thought it was pretty obvious.. After every match of dota 2 you play you get battle points. You get more points the longer a game goes. You level up with battle bonus points. Everytime you level up you get a guarentee'd item drop. That was the point of the compendium battle bonuses. You got extra points so you leveled up faster hence the higher drop rate for items.

There also is a way to see what level of play you are. You can check if you're in the normal bracket, high bracket or very high bracket by going to the watch tab then going to recent games and searching your name under the respective bracket.

I thought it was pretty obvious.. After every match of dota 2 you play you get battle points. You get more points the longer a game goes. You level up with battle bonus points. Everytime you level up you get a guarentee'd item drop. That was the point of the compendium battle bonuses. You got extra points so you leveled up faster hence the higher drop rate for items.

I understand that

I just don't get the "after 5 games you are placed in an appropriate ladder" thing

If I search my name/previous games, I see myself playing in all ladders, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me

I understand that

I just don't get the "after 5 games you are placed in an appropriate ladder" thing

If I search my name/previous games, I see myself playing in all ladders, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me

Are you playing with friends better than you with your games listed in very high? What bracket are you in most recently when you solo que.

Archived