334 replies to this topic

#271 miles.p

miles.p

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

Money talks, plain and simple. And most FA's knows that Canucks are the cheapest organization and try to pinch every penny when signing players.

The salary cap is a big issue, but the Canucks would have had plenty of salary cap if Luongo wasn't signed to that untouchable contract that everyone stays away from.

#272 carlweezer

carlweezer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

Show me this is the case.

Show me the hundreds of NHL hockey players that evidently think this is the case. Quotes if you please.

A lack of free agent signings? Please.

http://www.thestar.c...t-despised-team

http://www.torontosu...ate-the-canucks

http://www.sportsnet..._canucks_hated/

http://www.theglobea.../article582541/

thats from 15 seconds of research.....imagine what id find in 1 hour.

#273 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

Big name UFA, not a dman who wont even crack our top 3dmen spot.

No UFA's want to sign in Vancouver. Except, of course, for those that do sign in Vancouver, but they don't count because of... reasons.

You're making an excuse for everything that contradicts your claim.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

View Postbahkwan, on 03 December 2010 - 12:55 PM, said:

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#274 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

Sigh,
Hamhuis, Sedin's re-upped, Malhotra, Luongo Re-upped, Kesler re-upped, Jason Garrison, just to name a few
:towel:

#275 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

Garrison isn't a big name. Most casual hockey fans outside of Vancouver would have no clue who he is.

The twins, Kesler, Luongo, and Burrows are our well-known players.
* Burr got quite popular after the bite

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#276 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

1 year later, and as i predicted UFA's do not want to sign here! Canucks as a fanbase have a horrible reputatiion around other NHL players.

- pressure packed market that scrutinizes every little thing
- fans that always have a scapegoat every year including franchise players.
-top 5 if not top 3 quietest arena in the nhl,

I will be man enough to admit also that i was wrong about Schneider re-signing so quickly with the Nux. However, I did not know that management would allude to him that he is number 1 goalie and that hey will try and trade Luongo.

Its no mistake that Nash didnt put us on his short list to be traded to, blah blah he didnt want to play for a Canadian team, well the other Canadian teams suck and arent considered playoff contender but why not Vancouver?

I'll bump this next year too just in case you guys are holding your breath on Perry, Getzlaf, Iginla, Hartnell,Zajac, Roy etc!!!

just curious here:

Has the difference in taxes between the US and Canada been addressed as yet?

Money is a very important reason for why a guy will sign with one team over another. This being said, it wasn't that big of a deal for Hamhuis, or Garrison (who signed here), or even for Schultz (not that he was going to be able to get a bigger contract at his age), nor was it for several other guys who re-signed with the Canucks at below market value. For Weber, I think money/term was the primary concern, location was completely secondary.

Has a player's nationality been fully addressed? Maybe Suter and Parise want to play closer to their homes, as many here feel that guys like Weber or Schultz should have been obligated to do.

Has the fact that a player may feel a sense of loyalty to another team (Doan) with which he has played for several years entered into your equation? It doesn't seem to the case as it is something that is pretty much dis-regarded by you when a does re-sign with the Canucks.

Has the fact that players look at other teams, and assess how they might fit into that group, entered into your assessment? Is it that Nash didnn't like Vancouver because of the fans, or does he believe he has a better chance of gelling with the Rangers' players and feeling comfortable with how that team plays, and as a result has a better chance of winning the Cup?

And maybe, Nash doesn't like Vancouver, because the travel would be worse than it is with New York.

And maybe, just maybe, Nash feels he is playing closer to home as Brampton is closer to New York than Vancouver. Maybe he's just an east coast guy.

However, you are right about Vancouver being a pressure packed market, and I suspect that this is one of the reasons Nash decided he'd rather play with the Rangers, so he wouldn't come under so much public scrutiny and pressure.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#277 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hardcore Canuck fan here to ask some questions, ..please dont troll I would like to have an honest conversation. Can you please answer me this question, why would any High Valued Free Agent, possibly the missing piece to our Stanley Cup puzzle, ever want to sign/waive NTC to play for the Canucks.

The "fans" treat the team like crap, there is always a scapregoat! ALWAYS!, last year it was Bieksa this year its Luongo. We jeer the guy who took us to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, a guy who won the Jennings Award last year and had a CAREER YEAR? a guys who got 2 SHUTOUTS in the Finals. Exhausted from the Months of playoff battle wearing the Canuck uniform proudly only to have a short summer, 2 pre season games and now we crucify him for not playing up to our standards. Is he playing like crap, yep, does he deserve this disrespect? hell no.

Back to the point tho, Who was the last big big free agent player the Canucks grabbed, and im talking about non previous Canuck players so the Sedins, Bieksa etc dont count. Highly Ranked UFA's...hmmm Hamhuis? Samuelsson? Malhotra?...Messier??? No superstar will ever sign here, why should they???

Do you not think that the whole league doesn't see how Vancouver fans treat the team like garbage? and put them in such scrutiny and judgement. They're "professionals" you say, well I say they are humans...NOBODY wants to play in this environment, its an environement where players are set up to fail instead of succeed. Vancouver has been filled with nothing but negativity.

Let's say we make everyones wish come true and we trade Luongo! GREAT! its Schneider Time! Cory Scneider has 1 year left of RFA status then he can choose not to re-sign a contract and walk away from the Canucks!! Do you really think Schneider will want to sign here after seeing what just happened to Luongo??

"for a guy who has done more for this franchise than any other goalie probably in the history of the team you'd think he'd get a bit more slack or some leeway before the fans get on him" -Cory Schneider

Shea Webber to Vancouver next year!!??? why? so he can be humiliated in front of his family and friends day in and day out if he so happens to hit a rut like most players do? And if you think this is a Luongo thing its not, like I said we treat our stars like garbage, Bieksa last year, Sedins in previous years, Naslund in his twilight years, even the great Captain Kirk Maclean in the mid 90's was treated like crap. Even Bure asked for a trade (management issues supposodely)...

So back to the question, why would any player want to sign/waive NTC to come to Vancouver?? to win a cup?? theres 8 other teams they can do that for and not have to go thru this.

If you're a pending Unrestricted Free Agent lets say the likes of; Doan, Semin, Webber, Parise etc etc...what do you see? A fan base known for rioting, a fanbase that constantly treat their own players like crap and puts an immense amount of pressure, a building soooo quiet, a travel schedule incomparable to any and a scrutiny from fanbase and media that can abolish a career.

So people can talk all they want about nice dressing rooms and sleep doctors and a province full of "fans" but that is not how the rest of league perceives the Canucks.

So keep going Vancouver fans, the jeering and the negativity will surely end our 40+ years of misery!

How about you list all of these free agents that were actually available to us, given cap space and necessity of said players to fill the roles?

If the city and the organization treat the players like such crap why would the core of the team keep resigning with the team, and all of them for a discounted rate? You cant simply ignore that we have re signed the entire core of this team, and say we havent be able to sign any big name free agents. If these players were truly unhappy that wouldnt sign an extention.

Also the signings of Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Malhotra, Torres, Samuelsson were all significant. Everyone of those players were highly sought after free agents. Yes, Ehrhoff was technically traded for, but who did we trade for him? When we needed defencemen, Gillis went out and signed the best two defencemen available. We needed depth, he got that too.

Where did these signings take us? As you mentioned game 7 of the SC finals.

Gillis knew this team (at the time) didnt need to add any 'superstars' in order to succeed. He addressed the needs of the team and managed to keep the team under the cap while filling those needs. What more can you ask of a GM?

You act as though other fans dont critisize the players when they dont play well, and choices the management makes. What a load of crap. Im going to fill you in on something. Listen carefully. Fans, all sports fans, are EXACTLY THE SAME, everywhere.
Canucks fans are no different from Hawks fans (sorry), Bruins fans (really sorry), or Oilers fans (okay maybe no that bad).

Luongo has been treated more than fairly by the team and the fans. He was been given every of opportunity to succeed, and has been paid admirably. The problem is that even though he 'got us' to game 7 of the finals, he also under achieved in many aspects. He did get two shutouts, and when he kept the his team in it, they succeeded. But in every other loss during the finals, the team didnt even have a chance. I for one, and many, have never laid the blame solely on Luongo. We were beaten by Thomas mostly, he was unbeatable, plain and simple. Perhaps if we werent so beat up by game 7 we may have had a chance, but it is what is.

Schnieder has already signed a contract with us. He has 2 seasons with us before he is an RFA. If he didnt want to play with us, why would he sign the extention in the first place?

Just reading the jibberish you spew is incredibly annoying. You are so misinformed it hurts. Do you actually think you have any clue of how signing free agents works? You think you know how the rest of the NHL 'perceives' Vancouver. Shut your yap, your letting all of the stupid out.
I am soooo tired of listening to these apparent insiders who know everything because they watch the TSN and listen to the gibberish rants of talk radio hosts. Wake up.

Did you know Vancouver has been rated as one of the most desirable places to play over the last 2 years in an NHL players poll?

You also spout off about Rogers being quiet. During the finals they measured the sound, and it was one of the highest recorded levels during a finals....higher than recorded during the same finals in Boston. Is it quiet sometimes, sure most arenas are, and many of them mic the fans to add (what appears to be) more noise.

You ended with talking about jeering and negativity, but what exactly are you doing to not add to that?

#278 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Maybe because Vancouver is one of the nicest places in the world?
Everybody saying the fans are "quiet" don't realize that DJ Dave drowns out the crowd with music in-case most of you don't know. I go to 2-3 Games every year and its super loud.
Posted Image

#279 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

http://www.thestar.c...t-despised-team

http://www.torontosu...ate-the-canucks

http://www.sportsnet..._canucks_hated/

http://www.theglobea.../article582541/

thats from 15 seconds of research.....imagine what id find in 1 hour.

Here's 5 seconds research

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...ike-to-play-on/

Edited by 5minutesinthebox, 20 August 2012 - 05:52 PM.

#280 Fuhry

Fuhry

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

Do you really think Schneider will want to sign here after seeing what just happened to Luongo??

He just did.

#281 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

Money talks, plain and simple. And most FA's knows that Canucks are the cheapest organization and try to pinch every penny when signing players.

The salary cap is a big issue, but the Canucks would have had plenty of salary cap if Luongo wasn't signed to that untouchable contract that everyone stays away from.

He makes 5.33.
Posted Image

#282 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

'Also the signings of Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Malhotra, Torres, Samuelsson were all significant. Everyone of those players were highly sought after free agents." fiveminutesinthebox

Ehrhoff was traded for so had no choice but to come here.

Hamhuis is a local boy and wanted to come here for family reasons.

Malholtra? Ditto. Wife is from Victoria.

Torres? Come on,Gillis blew it.He was the only real hard hitter feared by opponents.

Samuelsson is very vocal on Canucks management. I have his quote on my page.

That is another move that Gillis blew,IMO.He destroyed team chemistry/relationships and traded for a head injured liability with $1.75 million more on the cap hit.

Looking closer at your list we have three players Gillis should have kept -and could not or did not- along with two players that came here for their own interests.

Plan the parade route.

Edited by nuck nit, 20 August 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#283 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

'Also the signings of Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Malhotra, Torres, Samuelsson were all significant. Everyone of those players were highly sought after free agents." fiveminutesinthebox

Torres? Come on,Gillis blew it.He was the only real hard hitter feared by opponents.

That is another move that Gillis blew,IMO.He destroyed team chemistry/relationships and traded for a head injured liability with $1.75 million more on the cap hit.

Looking closer at your list we have three players Gillis should have kept -and could not or did not- along with two players that came here for their own interests.

Plan the parade route.

I actually plainly said that Ehrhoff was traded for. Not sure why that matters, but the OP was trying to establish that the management was doing their job.

Whether Hamhuis and Malhotra are from here is completely irrelevant. They were high sought after free agents that were signed.

Torres wanted more than we were willing to offer, and as great as Torres was for us, he was also a liabilty half the time. See his lengthy sheet of getting suspended.

Ehrhoff took the money and ran, plain and simple. We could not have offered him that contract nor should we have. He was offered the same money as Hamhuis (who is much more valuable) and he turned it down.

Samuelsson was becoming injury prone, (see him missing half of the playoffs) and playing only 54 games for the Panthers.

Your so called argument, whatever is was supposed to be, is missing.

#284 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

Plan the parade route.

I don't get why people are upset over losing Samuelsson. He stated he only came here for the money. And after his first playoff run with the Canucks, he had one goal and 8 points in 18 games -- hardly effective. Not only that but he did look lazy and unmotivated many nights.
Posted Image

#285 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

Plan the parade route.

So in your mind every player who left could have been retained? Thanks for demonstrating how little you understand the economics of hockey under a cap system so that we don't spend valuable time trying to rebut you.

#286 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

I actually plainly said that Ehrhoff was traded for.
Whether Hamhuis and Malhotra are from here is completely irrelevant. They were high sought after free agents that were signed.
Torres wanted more than we were willing to offer, and as great as Torres was for us, he was also a liabilty half the time. See his lengthy sheet of getting suspended.
Ehrhoff took the money and ran, plain and simple. We could not have offered him that contract nor should we have. He was offered the same money as Hamhuis (who is much more valuable) and he turned it down.
Samuelsson was becoming injury prone, (see him missing half of the playoffs) and playing only 54 games for the Panthers.
Your so called argument, whatever is was supposed to be, is missing.

Hamhuis signing here was totally reliant upon his 'coming home'.His family is not in Dallas,he is a B.C. boy and the lower mainland is Malholtra's wife's home.
Yes,you plainly said Ehrhoff was traded for but included him in your 'highly sought after free agent list'-which he clearly was not.
Ehrhoff was offered the same money as Bieksa,whom is clearly not Dan Hamhuis.This team sucked without Ehrhoff.
Samuelsson is a playoff warrior,a Stanley Cup winner and a player that is to be reckoned with.Gillis instead brings in a player that is suffering head injuries and does not compliment Kes or the Sedins and the cap gets hurt,as well. Another brilliant move.
Torres was the only player on this team that commanded respect and inflicted punishment and fear.Who else on this team did that?
Opened up the ice? Made the opposition think twice as they dumped the puck to a Canuck? Nobody.
Your argument is plain -you state Gillis signed all these highly sought after free agents.
True,and then he lost three of the five you mention and the two that remain have local ties and signed here regardless of Gillis.
Finally,I found your arguement as having some merit but your dictation could use some polish:

"Just reading the jibberish you spew is incredibly annoying.
You are so misinformed it hurts.
Shut your yap, your letting all of the stupid out.
I am soooo tired of listening to these apparent insiders who know everything...
Wake up.
What a load of crap.
Im going to fill you in on something.
Listen carefully."

CDC journalism at it's finest.

#287 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

So in your mind every player who left could have been retained?

Could have -should have.Two separate arguments.

#288 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

I was okay with Torres being here. I was not okay with Torres potentially getting $1.75 million per season and probably only playing on the 4th line. I'd play Sedin, Booth (acquired for Samuelsson and Sturm) and Higgins ahead of Torres.

I didn't mind Samuelsson being here. Yes, Samuelsson was vocal against the Canucks' management. This being said, as his complaints were (usually) never for anything other than self-serving reasons I'd support him. As it was, Samuelsson was very erratic in his performance. He'd have some good stretches and then he'd disappear, to the extent that he'd be dropped to the 4th line.

DId Samuelsson do well in the playoffs? Yes, sorta' kinda'. He had one great series against the Ducks. He always disappeared against the more heavy hitting teams (eg. Chicago).

I would not want Samuelsson here on a 35+ contract at $3 million per year. IMO it was a good non-signing by Gillis. Detroit did sign him. As they are somewhat tight for talent, it's not too surprising they would sign him.

First, what free agent doesn't go somewhere without his own interests in mind?

Torres came here with his own interests in mind. He wanted to resurrect his career and maybe get a shot at a Cup. Torres left with his own best interests in mind. Ehrhoff left for where he felt his best interests lay: more money, a longer term contract and (as stated by him) his best chance at winning a Cup. Samuelsson was moved because he was under performing and also due to his age and injury issues. Was a Booth a good pick up in return? We'll have to see, but I believe there is a lot more potenital for something good to come out of Booth being here than Samuelsson.

Did Hamhuis and Garrison want to come here? Yes! Apparently more so than Weber or Schultz, who appear to have used their home town team for nothing more than bargaining purposes. Gillis still had to sign these guys to a contract which they would accept and would fit with the cap structure of the team, and he did.

Plan the parade route.

That's what we need, lots of positive thinking. :)

regards,
G.

Edited by Gollumpus, 20 August 2012 - 08:42 PM.

#289 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hardcore Canuck fan here to ask some questions, ..please dont troll I would like to have an honest conversation. Can you please answer me this question, why would any High Valued Free Agent, possibly the missing piece to our Stanley Cup puzzle, ever want to sign/waive NTC to play for the Canucks.

The "fans" treat the team like crap, there is always a scapregoat! ALWAYS!, last year it was Bieksa this year its Luongo. We jeer the guy who took us to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, a guy who won the Jennings Award last year and had a CAREER YEAR? a guys who got 2 SHUTOUTS in the Finals. Exhausted from the Months of playoff battle wearing the Canuck uniform proudly only to have a short summer, 2 pre season games and now we crucify him for not playing up to our standards. Is he playing like crap, yep, does he deserve this disrespect? hell no.

Back to the point tho, Who was the last big big free agent player the Canucks grabbed, and im talking about non previous Canuck players so the Sedins, Bieksa etc dont count. Highly Ranked UFA's...hmmm Hamhuis? Samuelsson? Malhotra?...Messier??? No superstar will ever sign here, why should they???

Do you not think that the whole league doesn't see how Vancouver fans treat the team like garbage? and put them in such scrutiny and judgement. They're "professionals" you say, well I say they are humans...NOBODY wants to play in this environment, its an environement where players are set up to fail instead of succeed. Vancouver has been filled with nothing but negativity.

Let's say we make everyones wish come true and we trade Luongo! GREAT! its Schneider Time! Cory Scneider has 1 year left of RFA status then he can choose not to re-sign a contract and walk away from the Canucks!! Do you really think Schneider will want to sign here after seeing what just happened to Luongo??

"for a guy who has done more for this franchise than any other goalie probably in the history of the team you'd think he'd get a bit more slack or some leeway before the fans get on him" -Cory Schneider

Shea Webber to Vancouver next year!!??? why? so he can be humiliated in front of his family and friends day in and day out if he so happens to hit a rut like most players do? And if you think this is a Luongo thing its not, like I said we treat our stars like garbage, Bieksa last year, Sedins in previous years, Naslund in his twilight years, even the great Captain Kirk Maclean in the mid 90's was treated like crap. Even Bure asked for a trade (management issues supposodely)...

So back to the question, why would any player want to sign/waive NTC to come to Vancouver?? to win a cup?? theres 8 other teams they can do that for and not have to go thru this.

If you're a pending Unrestricted Free Agent lets say the likes of; Doan, Semin, Webber, Parise etc etc...what do you see? A fan base known for rioting, a fanbase that constantly treat their own players like crap and puts an immense amount of pressure, a building soooo quiet, a travel schedule incomparable to any and a scrutiny from fanbase and media that can abolish a career.

So people can talk all they want about nice dressing rooms and sleep doctors and a province full of "fans" but that is not how the rest of league perceives the Canucks.

So keep going Vancouver fans, the jeering and the negativity will surely end our 40+ years of misery!

Oh yeah, since we didn't sign any big name UFAs this Summer we're clearly a terrible team to play for and nobody wants to sign here! The fans treat the Vancouver players like GODs, contrary to your sniveling statement. Did you actually watch any Canucks games last year? The people love them. Remember the SCF run? Walking around Vancouver all you could see is posters of our players and adoration from the fans.

There's always a scapegoat on EVERY team. Feel free to browse the forums of other hockey clubs for once and see for yourself, Vancouver isn't somehow special in how people blame certain players at times. And LOL @ Shea [sic] Webber getting 'humiliated'. Oh no, the guy making millions of dollars to play a game had his feelings hurt! Professional athletes can take jeers here and there when they play poorly, if they didn't, they wouldn't be in the NHL. Period.

God, this thread and the OP is so full of stupidity I feel like I'm going to have a stroke. Just because you say "please don't troll" before your moronic post doesn't mean your post doesn't deserve to be deemed face palm worthy. :picard:

Edited by Moonshinefe, 20 August 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#290 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

Your argument is plain -you state Gillis signed all these highly sought after free agents.
True,and then he lost three of the five you mention and the two that remain have local ties and signed here regardless of Gillis.

As I see it, of the guys being discussed, the Canucks have signed and/or kept, the best two of these "highly sought after free agents".

Of the the other three, Ehrhoff was the only one who could be described as being highly sought after. It remains to be seen if he is worth the money Buffalo threw at him.

I'm thinking that Garrison and Booth (your favorite head injury player) will show this season that they are worth what they are getting.

"Just reading the jibberish you spew is incredibly annoying.
You are so misinformed it hurts.
Shut your yap, your letting all of the stupid out.
I am soooo tired of listening to these apparent insiders who know everything...
Wake up.
What a load of crap.
Im going to fill you in on something.
Listen carefully."

A personal mantra?

regards,
G.

Edited by Gollumpus, 20 August 2012 - 08:59 PM.

#291 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

1 year later, and as i predicted UFA's do not want to sign here! Canucks as a fanbase have a horrible reputatiion around other NHL players.

I will be man enough to admit also that i was wrong about Schneider re-signing so quickly with the Nux. However, I did not know that management would allude to him that he is number 1 goalie and that hey will try and trade Luongo.

Its no mistake that Nash didnt put us on his short list to be traded to, blah blah he didnt want to play for a Canadian team, well the other Canadian teams suck and arent considered playoff contender but why not Vancouver?

I'll bump this next year too just in case you guys are holding your breath on Perry, Getzlaf, Iginla, Hartnell,Zajac, Roy etc!!!

really, you've talked to all the UFA's this year person to person?
not signing here doesn't mean they don't want to be here given the chance.
What if we didn't offer them anything? Have you thought of that?
You logic is disgusting. Please take a philosophy class.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#292 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

Big name players are wise to steer clear away from this team, if they want a good chance of winning the cup.

#293 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:09 PM

As I see it, of the guys being discussed, the Canucks have signed and/or kept, the best two of these "highly sought after free agents".
I'm thinking that Garrison and Booth (your favorite head injury player) will show this season that they are worth what they are getting.
A personal mantra?

regards,
G.

I like Booth as a person but as a player Gillis gambled on the wrong horse.
Having had a similar medical history as Booth I know he is one hit or accident away from never playing hockey again.
That's the way it is but the contract is pretty steep for a player with such a medical history.
Either the Canucks medical staff are not educating Gillis.org mgmt. on the dangers of signing head injured players or the mgmt. listens and takes a chance as they have no idea what they have just been informed about.
Either way,it is irresponsible and tells me that cool hand Mike is actually ill informed or ignorant on this issue.
You trade the playoff proven performer,the Stanley Cup Winner,the glue in the Edler/Sedin equation and dump him for a multiple head injured player.Really astute move.
Garrison is a player I am excited to see play and another free agent that came to Vancouver despite what some pro's are saying about the Nucks management.
Gump,you should actually read a little more instead of just writing.I accept your apologies in advance.

#294 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

philosophy is useless, theology is worse.....
Posted Image

#295 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

philosophy is useless, theology is worse.....

"Deep, like a well... or was that a bear?" - Ilya Bryzgalov

regards,
G.

#296 carlweezer

carlweezer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:16 AM

Big name players are wise to steer clear away from this team, if they want a good chance of winning the cup.

Agreed, until the fans change the players we need will not sign here! It disgusts me how vancouver fans feel so entitled. Its all about what have u done for me lately, we crucify the best goalie we have ever had and are so quick to forget early years when he was our only chance in thw playoffs.

Every year the canucks break my heart but every year i also feel joy knowing "vancouver fans" have won nothing!

#297 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:55 AM

Your posts all sound like a spoiled kid who didn't get the new toy he wanted. Cap wise, some players don't make sense for the Canucks to have, ie Nash. Term wise some players don't make sense for the canucks to have. If we're all complaining about the 12 year Luongo contract, how do you think we'd be when we're in the middle of Suter's 14 year contract and his play is slipping since a 14 year contract is what it took to sign him. Some players just don't want to play for the Canucks. Not every player wants to come here and it's not about the fan base or the atmosphere of the arena. They just don't want to play here. For every team that signs a big name UFA, 29 other teams 'missed out' too.

Do you think every UFA goes through all the teams and makes a list of pros and cons as to why he would or would not sign there and that the cons are all cons that can be fixed? No. NHL players are still human. Sometimes they just don't want to play for a team. It's not that he doesn't like them. He's fine with the team. Just doesn't want to play there. Why? Just because. That's how humans are. We can't always make a clear list of reasons why we choose one thing over another. We just do.

So every time a UFA doesn't sign here, it's not always b/c the fan base, atmosphere, etc, pushed them away. Sometimes they didn't want to play here in the first place, and sometimes the Canucks didn't want them either.
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#298 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,915 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:24 AM

He makes 5.33.

Actually he "makes" $6.716m. His cap hit is $5.33m. There's a difference. Which would be why cash poor teams wouldn't be particularly interested in his contract.
Posted Image

#299 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,915 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:30 AM

I like Booth as a person but as a player Gillis gambled on the wrong horse.
Having had a similar medical history as Booth I know he is one hit or accident away from never playing hockey again.
That's the way it is but the contract is pretty steep for a player with such a medical history.
Either the Canucks medical staff are not educating Gillis.org mgmt. on the dangers of signing head injured players or the mgmt. listens and takes a chance as they have no idea what they have just been informed about.
Either way,it is irresponsible and tells me that cool hand Mike is actually ill informed or ignorant on this issue.
You trade the playoff proven performer,the Stanley Cup Winner,the glue in the Edler/Sedin equation and dump him for a multiple head injured player.Really astute move.
Garrison is a player I am excited to see play and another free agent that came to Vancouver despite what some pro's are saying about the Nucks management.
Gump,you should actually read a little more instead of just writing.I accept your apologies in advance.

So does that mean LA's GM was a misinformed idiot to sign Mitchell?
Posted Image

#300 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:58 AM

So does that mean LA's GM was a misinformed idiot to sign Mitchell?

Actually,I said ill informed or ignorant.
My stance is that when head injuries are better understood and accepted there will be a protocol instituted that will not allow players to continue playing hockey and GM's will also have to adhere to the protocol,which will not allow them to sign brain injured players that meet said protocol.
Willie is extremely lucky and would do very well to retire now with the health that he has remaining.

'Almost like you’re autistic': Kings' Mitchell crusades against brain injuries

Published Friday, Jun 1, 2012 at 5:40 pm EDT
Jesse Spector Sporting News

NEWARK, N.J.—At Media Day on Tuesday, Los Angeles Kings defenseman Willie Mitchell was talking about his first trip to the Stanley Cup finals at the age of 35 when the subject of his injury history came up.
Specifically, it was the subject of Mitchell’s head. The blueliner missed eight games in the 2002-03 season with the Minnesota Wild when he suffered a concussion, then nine games in 2006 with the Vancouver Canucks with another. The last time Mitchell suffered one, in 2010, he had to sit out the final 34 games of the regular season, and Vancouver’s entire playoff run.
Posted ImageWillie Mitchell, left, is on a quest to win the Stanley Cup—but his work doesn't stop there. (AP Photo)
“Brain injury, let’s call it that,” Mitchell said. “I hate that ‘concussion’ word.”
It’s a point that has been made before, and a good one. For as serious as concussions are, the very word takes some impact off the severity of the injury. On Friday, Mitchell talked about his thoughts on word choice, and his experience dealing with brain injuries. What follows is his first-person account.
It gives significance to it. Where you talk about a concussion, it’s just like, “eh.” Or, you talk about the term “bell rung.” That’s a concussion. Bell rung? What the heck’s that? It’s a concussion. Right? Bell rung? “Oh, he got his bell rung.” Anytime you feel dizzy, headache, got your bell rung, that’s a concussion. That’s what it is. We downplay it instead of actually embracing it for what it is and giving it significance. The brain’s everything, right? You don’t have that, you don’t have life, you don’t have happiness, you don’t have your day-to-day. There’s not much good in life without it.
The first two were similar—four-or-five week episodes, where I started to feel better after about three weeks. The last one was more complex. They’re different, and I try to explain that to guys, how their different. Eight months, a year, it becomes chronic. It becomes like almost you’re terminally ill. You have an illness that’s not going away, because every day you wake up, it’s the same thing. It gives you a little snippet of people who live that in daily life. It becomes not only a physical injury, but emotional, as well. You’re dealing with something that you think is never gonna get better, and you’re turning everywhere to get help, saying “who can help me?” No one can. There’s no answer for it.
I’d try anything to try to get healthy. Hyperbaric chamber, I was doing that. Craniosacral work. I did alternative medicine, where I tried neural therapy. You name it. I had neural therapy on my neck, where they take your carotid artery, and they move it over to the side, and they freeze the nerves near the back of your neck for a quick second. It’s alternative medicine—the idea behind it is like starting a computer. Your nervous system, it’s the same way—if it feels the same way all the time, what do you need to get out of it? Sometimes, it needs to reboot.
(Neural therapy is) actually just procaine and water. They put it in there, and it freezes it for a bit, and restarts like a computer and you hope it gets the bugs out. A lot of times, the pain and pressure you feel in your head is nervous-system related. So I even tried that. It’s not fun, sitting on a table and having someone move your artery over, and shoving that needle in there. You’re 100 percent awake. It’s alternative medicine, but you’ll try anything when you’re in that much pain and you don’t feel normal. So, that’s what I try to explain to people, that it’s something to be taken serious. That’s why I talk about it, and that’s why I have all the time in the world for people like you who want to write about it. I feel like that’s my obligation after what I went through—to, like I said, protect my peers.
It gave me a whole new appreciation for people who go through life-threatening diseases and stuff like that—what they go through physically and emotionally. It allows you to appreciate life a lot more when you feel good. Your brain’s your computer, right? You tell it to write a story, it writes a story. You tell it to move a hockey puck, it moves a hockey puck. You tell it to do whatever you want, it will do whatever you want. When that ability gets taken away from you, it’s pretty darn scary. You don’t have the ability to tell it to do something, because it’s overheating, it’s overloading.
A concussion like that, of that magnitude, it’s almost like you’re autistic, on the higher end of the spectrum—the autistic kids, when they hear loud noises and stuff, it overloads them, right? It’s too much for them. That’s what a concussion is like. Too much bright lights, noises and stuff, it shuts you down. You can’t do anything. So you’ve got to go chill. You’ve got to go sit in a room, no TV, no reading. You can’t read. It overloads it. It’s like too many programs running on your computer, the computer slows down. You’ve got a bug, can’t run those programs. The brain is the same way. You get hit and have a brain injury, it’s basically a bug. It slows you down, and it’s not better until it gets better.
I don’t wish it upon any of my peers. I know a guy on the other side (Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador), I’m happy to see him out there. It’s a great story. With the NHLPA, we have a concussion working group. Bryce is on it, I’m on it. It’s pretty cool, considering he was out a year, and I was out eight months, we’re both here, playing the Stanley Cup Finals against each other. It’s pretty significant, pretty cool. Myself, I like to talk about it, because I think it’s important for the health of people, my peers and sports.

Edited by nuck nit, 21 August 2012 - 02:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.