38 replies to this topic

#1 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

Hey I am just wondering if there are any good private high schools around Burnaby or Vancouver that are co-ed, have a high rating, good athletics program, and that are under $10,000... Thanks in advance!

#2 Pitpotpit

Pitpotpit

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

POPULAR

Go to a public high school. You'll learn almost the same material, but also get to deal with thugs, drug dealers, gangsters and sluts. Which in return will prepare you for the real world.

0Posted Image

#3 Alexidney Crosvechkinby

Alexidney Crosvechkinby

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

Go to a public high school. You'll learn almost the same material, but also get to deal with thugs, drug dealers, gangsters and sluts. Which in return will prepare you for the real world.

you can find all those in a private school. people seem to have the misconception that since it's a catholic school everyone is a good two shoes. students at a private school are just like normal people, period. in gr 8, some guy got expelled because he had weed in his locker. wannabe gangsters everywhere you look. most of the girls are your typical dumb broads. yes I went to one
Posted Image
my patronus is a sloth

#4 Owen Nolan

Owen Nolan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:38 PM

^Went to holy cross , definitely not a bunch of goody-two-shoes like everyone perceives private schools to be.. Often they can be just as bad if not worse...
Posted Image

#5 Weber's Playoff Beard

Weber's Playoff Beard

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:46 PM

POPULAR

What's wrong with Public Schools?

#6 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

In the UK Public Schools are Private Schools and Private schools are Public Schools

Posted Image

#7 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

^Went to holy cross , definitely not a bunch of goody-two-shoes like everyone perceives private schools to be.. Often they can be just as bad if not worse...

ah, private schools.

The only difference is the parents pay for the privilege for their kids to not attend.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#8 blitzkrieg66

blitzkrieg66

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

Notre Dame on Refrew was a great school before they built the new building. Ever sice they built the new one last year, it just had a different feel and lost its originality. Also because there is now a new principle :S

#9 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,955 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:02 PM

POPULAR

you can find all those in a private school. people seem to have the misconception that since it's a catholic school everyone is a good two shoes. students at a private school are just like normal people, period. in gr 8, some guy got expelled because he had weed in his locker. wannabe gangsters everywhere you look. most of the girls are your typical dumb broads. yes I went to one

So... it's just like public school, only you pay for the same experience.

WOW!!! WHAT A DEAL!!
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#10 Truculence

Truculence

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:07 PM

POPULAR

WOW!!! WHAT A DEAL!!

No. In private schools, teachers have a vested interest in giving higher grades and passing students who don't deserve it to maintain a high Fraser Institute performance assessment.
Posted Image

#11 KittenMittons

KittenMittons

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:28 AM

No. In private schools, teachers have a vested interest in giving higher grades and passing students who don't deserve it to maintain a high Fraser Institute performance assessment.

Exactly.

I went to a public high school. It was one that the Fraser Institute considered to be one of the "worst" high schools in the Lower Mainland, but my goodness, it was such an amazing high school. I loved nearly every minute there. The teachers truly cared about their students, there were no bullies, and school spirit and individuality was highly promoted.

Of course, it wasn't rainbows and soft puppies all the time, but I look back on my high school years very fondly. Heck, even my elementary school, which has been rated poorly by this joke of an institution, was wonderful.

It's ridiculous to think that private schools are automatically better than public schools. Yes, sometimes they do have their benefits, but are those benefits worth $10,000+ a year? Goodness no. Put that money in your child's post secondary fund!

#12 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:32 AM

Lol, coming from a kid who parties with kids from private schools, you are dead wrong.

The biggest difference in kids in public schools and private schools is that the kids in private school can afford drugs. Meaning they pick up half ounces of weed religiously.
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#13 Try Again

Try Again

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:39 AM

Yeah, I hate parents that make their kids go to a school across the city because it has a 'high average'.

As I have seen in my first year at uni, there are some people that got like 95+ in History 12 but can't even write a decent first-year History paper.... like wtf Posted Image

Edited by Bangs Chol, 15 December 2011 - 12:40 AM.

Posted Image

#14 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:47 AM

I used to go to private school, but Johnny and his gang challenged me to a karate-tractor-chicken race down at the old abandoned dynamite mine at midnight and I got expelled because Johnny's coat got stuck in the tractor wheel and he blew up.

Edited by Downtown Rob Brown, 15 December 2011 - 02:50 AM.

Posted Image

#15 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:04 AM

Edited by hockeyfan87, 15 December 2011 - 08:17 AM.

#16 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,683 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:04 AM

Pretty sure they base their rankings on provincial exam scores. If not then they should!

Edit: And either way the scores are more a function of the neighbourhood. I would rather send any children I might have to meet real people than douchey rich kids.

Edited by ronthecivil, 15 December 2011 - 09:06 AM.

#17 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

In my law school class out of the top ten students, 8 had attended private schools and 2 had attended public school.

I finished third and was one of the two who attended public school.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#18 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,683 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

In my law school class out of the top ten students, 8 had attended private schools and 2 had attended public school.

I finished third and was one of the two who attended public school.

Almost none of the engineers I know went to private school. I will have to check with the GF re nurses.

So that's a danger of sending a kid to private school. Besides running a higher risk of creating another lawyer :mad: as a general disservice to the public your poor kid ends up working in a high stress job with higher than normal divorce rates, shorter life spans, etc.

#19 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

BUMP! Ok so now I have to write a letter of why I would like to go to Vancouver College High School. Im not quite sure how to format it and stuff.... Can you help me?

#20 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

Just send your kid to a public school. I go to a public school and my friend goes to a very rich private school. We are both fairly smart. The only difference is that I have a 2001 Pontiac and he has a brand new Audi.

#21 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

WOW!!! WHAT A DEAL!!

Brilliant, isn't it?

What some people don't get is education isn't merely being told something only in a way you approve of, or being only around a type of environment you choose from. The real world is going to present situations outside of what you as a parent (or even a student) can control. How you deal with that is essential, and if you just sweep that under the rug, you are not equipped enough to deal with it in a rational way as someone who has been around this kind of stuff is.

Private school is like an elitist club for parents (and rarely, students, but mainly for parents) who have trouble dealing with reality in a pragmatic way.

It's also a colossal waste of money and my kids do not, and the couple that aren't yet old enough for school, will not go to private school.
How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

#22 KittenMittons

KittenMittons

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

BUMP! Ok so now I have to write a letter of why I would like to go to Vancouver College High School. Im not quite sure how to format it and stuff.... Can you help me?

I see you took all of our suggestions and opinions to heart.

:rolleyes:

#23 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

Public school then apply for the IB program or do AP that is pretty like private school stuff?

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#24 Try Again

Try Again

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

lol as this quote shows Private school is still filled with mediocre students
Posted Image

#25 Rookie Magic

Rookie Magic

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:01 AM

Are you applying to enrol for grade 8 or for another grade? Grade 8 is the easiest to get in to Vancouver College as there are 150 open spots and after that it gets tough as people need to leave for some spots to open. Pretty much if you're Catholic and have decent grades then you should get in easy. The entrance exam means nothing and is just a way to milk some more money. If you write about wanting to be part of an excellent athletic program while maintaining a high academic standard I'm sure that is good enough.

Also Vancouver College has top notch athletic facilities that could rival some American University facilities.

#26 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Im applying for grade 10 and i finished my letter.... going to give it in on friday....

#27 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

For the Notre Dame application I have to answer a few questions.... Can I get some help? They are: What extra curricular activities in or out of school are most important to you and why? If you are accepted what contribution will you make to our community? What book,article,movie or single event has strongly impressed you in recent years? Why? Essay part: Why do you wish to attend Notre Dame and a Catholic High school in particular?

#28 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

For the Notre Dame application I have to answer a few questions.... Can I get some help? They are: What extra curricular activities in or out of school are most important to you and why? If you are accepted what contribution will you make to our community? What book,article,movie or single event has strongly impressed you in recent years? Why? Essay part: Why do you wish to attend Notre Dame and a Catholic High school in particular?

Most of the questions seem pretty straight forward to me.

1) What sports do you play? What is the role in your life (recreational, competitive, etc.)? Do they help you interact with people? Maybe they develop certain traits?
2) Usually some bull is just made up for this section. Say you'll contribute to an athletic team, do service hours, tutor, etc.
3) More bull.
4) Well, why do you want to go there?

These are PERSONAL questions. Everyone has a different answer to them because they directly pertain to YOU and only you, which is why you can't just google up these answers. There would be no point in asking you these questions if everyone came up with a standard answer. Why you're asking us to help you is beyond me. Suck it up, stop being lazy and put the time in to answer these questions yourself.

Edited by Denguin, 06 January 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#29 Canuckerbird

Canuckerbird

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:13 AM

If it's important to you to hang out and make connections with rich kids and families, then by all means, go to a private school. Otherwise, there is no discernible difference between the two apart from the obvious contrast in tuition fees and liberty of dress.
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana. I said "No. But I do want a normal banana later, so...ya."- The Late Mitch Hedberg

Go Canucks GO

#30 blitzkrieg66

blitzkrieg66

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

There is a slight difference from Private schools (ie. Van College) and Catholic schools (Notre Dame). In Catholic schools, it isn't as structured and definitely not as expensive: therefore, not everyone is filthy rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.