The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2012

GLASSJAW

i feel like 2012 has been disappointing, but has sooo much potential.

new Anco, new Grizzly Bear, new Earl Sweatshirt, new Vampire Weekend, new Kanye West. and other things i'm forgetting, the year is going to finish strong.

new vampire weekend? didn't know that. i wasn't crazy about contra, but their debut was amazing

I'm really psyched for the new Grizzly Bear album. I've been avoiding the singles because I don't want them to take away from the whole. Am I alone in doing that? When you're really psyched for an album, do you avoid all releases until it's fully available? I certainly do.

Anyway, some others that may catch the indie-listener's eye (er, ear), or may just be hot topics:

Ben Gibbard (Death Cab for Cutie)

Muse

The Fresh & Onlys (pretty good band, for the garage rock style)

The xx

Dinosaur Jr

St Vincent & David Byrne

Woods

Mountain Goats

TAME IMPALA (!!!!!!!!)

Ty Segall

Band of Horses

Calexico

Bob Dylan

Stars

Jens Lekman

Bat for Lashes

Pinback

Lupe Fiasco (most overrated rapper of all time)

Django Django (their album already leaked, and i've heard its fabulous)

To be honest, I'm most excited for Grizzly Bear and Tame Impala. I'm slightly skeptical of AC, from the bits and pieces i've heard floating about. But I'm sure The XX album will be pretty good, as will the Vampire Weekend, if it's released. Woods are consistently good, and occasionally brilliant, so we'll see with them, too!

Just gave the Bloc Party a listen for myself, definitely not great, nowhere near silent alarm quality... but not as bad as I was expecting either.

Actually had a few good songs. But it's weird to hear how 'heavy' some others are. 6/10, maybe.

I've enjoyed that new JJ DOOM album, too. But as far as hip hop goes, I think MF DOOM just has my number, because I enjoy the throw back production style, that really echoes early 90's Rza "lo fi" style rap.

Granted, this album is produced by Jneiro Jarel, who is a really modern "psychedellic" hip hop dude, the album still has hints of 'classic' DOOM.

Has contributions by Damon Albarn, Portishead, Radiohead (well, Greenwood and Yorke), and a few others. Worth checking out if you're into alternative hip hop that isn't driven by shock value (like Death Grips, Tyler, etc.)

But I'm the last guy on the planet to talk to about hip hop, so what do I know? I still dig it, for the right mood.

i downloaded the JJ DOOM album, it was a good listen for sure.

the new AnCo album streams tonight on their website at 9 i think. extremely pumped, i've only heard the one single from it so i've got no idea what it's going to be like.

i downloaded the JJ DOOM album, it was a good listen for sure.

the new AnCo album streams tonight on their website at 9 i think. extremely pumped, i've only heard the one single from it so i've got no idea what it's going to be like.

alright, well i admit i'm not terribly crazy about it after a first listen, but my respect for the band is as high as ever. it would have been so very easy to cash in on their indie 'success' and solidify a retirement plan, but instead they made an extremely weird record that will challenge (if not divide) listeners, for sure

my main issue with is it the actual music. but maybe i just need to be in the mood for it. i do think "wide eyed" is an absolutely stellar song, though, deakin absolutely kills it. psyched he's 'back'

haha, oh D Money, of course I (we!) read your reviews, and much appreciate them.

Not only did I read yours and someone elses review, but I'm actually 80% sure I downloaded it too, the more I think about it. I may have even mentioned it a few posts ago. What is wrong with me?

In my defense, the website I was using for a list of bands/albums (metacritic) has Django Django listed for a Sept 25 release. So I guess that's where my confusion set in.

For that, and other release date information that is obviously entirely incorrect, check here:

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/release-date/coming-soon/date?view=detailed

Archived