The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2012

GLASSJAW

Holy shieeeeeet I'm listening to attack on memory for the first time. That first track my gawd, I haven't got chills like that in a while.

Ps I'm on a 14 hour bus ride and downloaded about 12 albums I wanted to listen to all year but didn't really have time soooooo I'm gonna be raping this thread. Attack on memory is my third so far.

I started off with twins by Ty segal, I had slaughterhouse already but hadn't heard twins. I liked slaughterhouse a lot but I Loved twins, it's

Perfect dirty garage music. Thank god for the sinners was my favorite track.

I then went on to divine fits. There were some songs that I loved like my love is real, shivers and baby get worse but there was also about 4 duds

That I won't remember at all. It's a pretty scattered record but i still liked because of some great songs and my love for Dan Boekners voice

I'm on the 4th song of attack On memory and I that the firstntrack was by far the highlight so far. There's some good punk vibes but the voice similarities to billy talent are bothering me, the lyrics are really great though, I'd probably be feelin it more if I wasn't stuck on This bus

Yeah... Because said "mainstream music" needs escaping from... If it ain't Indie, it ain't cool, right? :rolleyes:

These are my top 11 albums from 2012:

1. Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth

2. Rush - Clockwork Angels

3. ZZ Top - La Futura

4. Rival Sons - Head Down

5. Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball

6. Muse - The 2nd Law

7. Tame Impala - Lonerism

8. Soundgarden - King Animal

9. Band Of Skulls - Sweet Sour

10. The Cult - Choice Of Weapon

11. Walking Papers - Walking Papers

Mainstream be damned!

Number 7 will blow your moindzzzz out brah.

So I kind of fell asleep but other than the three I mentioned above i got through 2 and a half more.

So cloud nothings attack on memory is something I really should like a lot knowing myself but some songs didn't click right away. The closing track cut you made me smile to myself though. I'm gonna try it in a different setting and I'm pretty sure I'll fall in love with it.

Then I listened to all of dinosaur jrs new album I bet on sky. J Mascis shows no signs of slowing down, he's been so crazily consistent later in his career it's nuts. If you're familiar with the band this will be more of the same which is not a bad thing at all. The guitar trickery is out of this world. Rude and see it on your side were a couple of my favorites.

Next was shields by grizzly bear. To be honest I've listened to lots of grizzly bear songs before but the only song that stuck with me was Knife, that's one of my favorite songs ever. However I'm starting to realize the band just isn't for me. I liked sleeping ute a lot but after that I just lost interest. There's not enough to maintain my attention which is probably my fault not the bands. I get that they're making really complex meaningful songs but honestly it bores me. I'm not mature enough for this!

And then I fell asleep thanks to the xx. I'll admit i have used their first record to make girls think I was sensitive but i actually genuinely love that album. But so far this second one is just crap, I wouldn't play this for a girl if it was guaranteed to get me laid. Its minimalistic to the point where nothing is happening except Jamie annoyingly whining about her love life over an airy ambience. The catchy riffs like on VCR and crystallized are completely gone and the songs sounds so unstructured its bothersome. Big disappointment here but I'm gonna keep listening to the first record.

I've got maybe 6 or 7 hours still so I'm gonna try and sleep a bit more and then try out Metz and also Handsome furs even though it's older, I love wolf parade but never got into handsome furs

Sorry for the bad punctuation I'm doing this from an iPhone and editing that would be a nightmare.

I'm still on ze busssss

So I'm gonna make a top ten even though I just heard almost half of these albums in the past 12 hours.

1) Tame Impala - Lonerism

2) Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory

3) Ty Segall - slaughterhouse/twins (idc I'm counting them as one they would be 5 and 3

anyway)

4) Japandroids - Celebration Rock

5) Animal Collective - Centipede hz

6) Dinosaur Jr. - I bet on sky

7) Howler - America Give Up

8) Divine Fits - a thing called divine fits

9) Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

10) The Antlers - Undersea

HM: Crystal Castles, DIIV, Metz, Action Bronson

No not at all.  I don't know alot of bands that aren't played on the radio and I Shazam (the rare time I listen to cFox or the peak), I have had friends recommend bands (local or just smaller) and they are great.  Of those that you listed, I haven't heard of #4/7/9/11 myself so I will probably check those bands/albums out now.  I own 4 of those albums you listed.  Its not about Indie at all, hell I don't even know what indie is,  I just like to spread my music around and find new bands/albums that are good.

I really don't know where to find new music, pretty much listen to the same music all the time so when I am told of something thats good I check it out.

I have a confession to make:

I didn't get the hype over Slaughterhouse. It was alright, but not particularly outstanding. Thought the love over it was a classic example of an album getting more props than it deserves, simply because of not having much competition within its genre.

Because of that, I didn't really give Twins much of a chance...until now. Big mistake. Absolutely killer. This should be on my top 10 albums, and at least 2 songs should be in my top-20.

• 2 weeks later...

didn't make a list in time, but now i'm bored so i'll try one. top fives:

top 5 albums i've enjoyed the most:

5. spiritualized- sweet heart, sweet light

4. grizzly bear- shields

3. frank ocean- channel orange

2. tame impala- lonerism

1. dirty projectors- swing lo magellan

top 5 songs i've enjoyed the most:

5. tame impala- feels like we only go backwards

4. spiritualized- hey jane

3. ty segall band- wave goodbye