The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Three Scoring Lines.

Braman

Many teams do have 3 scoring lines (Detroit, Philly, Boston), but their 3rd lines also have a good mix of scorers and defensive players. The many benefits of this system is versatility during injuries, 3rd line facing oppositions bottom d-pairing etc.

But my question is why did Gillis change the teams system 1 month before the playoffs start? If he wanted 2 checking lines/2 scoring lines, why didn't he build that team last summer? It's 'all or nothing' when you change a system after trade deadline, especially when the Nucks don't have pieces on the farm (with experience) who can step in and become a 3rd scoring line if things don't work out. And as of today, things have not worked out - the record since trade deadline tells the story.

Other than the Canucks, there's another team I really like to cheer for.  I like the way this other team doesn't run 2 scoring lines, 1 checking line and 1 energy line but instead runs 3-4 scoring lines.

Why do the Canucks insist on taking out skill and going with a more 'conventional' lineup.  If you can run 3 scoring lines, you run 3 scoring lines.  Hell, if you can run 4 scoring lines then do that!  One or two of the scoring lines would also be good defensively of course.  The Canucks have one of the best two way forwards in Kesler.  By being able to run 3 scoring lines, you constantly keep your opponent countering and defending leaving little time for offense themselves.  What would you rather have? 3 lines that can score and 1 solid defensive line? Or 2 lines that can score, 1 solid defensive line and 1 'energy' line?

Downgrading our offense was a mistake.  What happens when the Sedins get shut down?  Who do we have scoring?  Kesler('s line)?  Yes.  Who else?  This is why having Hodgson was such a boon.  Picking up Pahlsson was great and all but he gives us the same thing that Malhotra was already supposed to be doing (has the eye injury set him back that much? maybe it has).  And moving Hodgson to the wing with Kesler WAS a good option (remember that it was when Kesler played on the wing with Sundin that he started to become the star player he is now.)  But now that the Canucks aren't as offensively deep,

I'm not going to rag on Kassian here - I haven't seen him play enough to know what he's fully capable of - but he certainly doesn't put up the points or have the brilliant playmaking ability that Hodgson did.  Hopefully Kassian becomes useful by playoff time is all I'll say about that.  (Hodgson even made Raymond look good...  I hope this trade doesn't come back to bite us.  Maybe Kassian will be a star in the future too?)

But our offense - especially the Sedins - have been getting shut down hard lately and the rest of the team needs to pick up the slack.  (And the Sedins need to gtfo this slump)

In short, if you can run more than 2 scoring lines, you do it.  The other team I love to cheer for so much that runs 3-4 scoring lines?  It's Team Canada if you didn't already figure that out.  If you have the talent in your roster to run more than 2 scoring lines, you do it.

A shame it's too late...

A team, according to wikipedia is:

A team comprises a group of people [edit] linked in a common purpose. Teams are especially appropriate for conducting tasks that are high in complexity and have many interdependent subtasks.

A group in itself does not necessarily constitute a team. Teams normally have members with complementary skills and generate synergy through a coordinated effort which allows each member to maximise his/her strengths and minimise his/her weaknesses. Team members need to learn how to help one another, help other team members realize their true potential, and create an environment that allows everyone to go beyond their limitations.

Vancouver has 3 threatening scoring lines before the Coho trade. When you have 3 scoring lines, it's the opposition who should worry about checking. AV is an absolute moron when he addressed the issue that Vancouver need a 3rd line that can check. Now that Coho is gone, the 3 rd line is not going to score that many goals. Once the 1st or 2 nd line, or both, is shut down the Cancuks will not win.

AV is always a prospects killer. It was Grabner last year, Hodgson this year, who is going to be next? I think the talened fast skater Kassian will end up as a glove-dropping goon soon under AV.

• 1 month later...

I'm just going to bump this thread after watching this first round failure.

I suspect the blame should fall on AV for not utilizing skilled rookie forwards effectively leading to this bad (at least short term ) trade. That's a topic for another thread though. ()

Poll: Would you rather have a second line of Hodgson-Kesler-Burrows and a fourth line of Lapierre-Malhotra-Raymond

or a second line of Lapierre-Kesler-Burrows and a fourth line of Kassian/Weise-Malhotra-Raymond?

We needed a player like hodgson to water our dried up offense, but we also needed a player like kassian, who didnt really show up. A player we didn't need was raymond, whom hodgson couldve replaced if we still had him. Maybe then we wouldnt have had to sugar coat lapierre on the second line.... Last night we had 1 scoring line, 2 checking lines and an energy line.. Whoevers idea that was needs to go.

The Cup winning team in the last 5 or 6 years have all had 15-20 goal scorers on their 3rd line.

3 scoring lines is the key to success. Basically, you need offensive depth to win the Cup, no team can rely on one or even two offensive lines without some backup.

MG basically shot us in the foot by trading Hodgson, and like I said on deadline day, it will cost the Canucks and it has. He gets what he deserves for that stupid trade.

Archived