The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trading Luongo Vs Trading Schneider

J.I.A.H.N

This playoff will tell the tale of whether we keep Luongo or not. If he falters with his typical playoff "meltdown".... I guarantee you he is gone. This team can afford to bury his contract in the minors if he doesn't accept a trade. That is why Schneider is still here. Not just insurance for this playoff year, but to fall back on for seasons to come if Bobby Lou craps the proverbial bed come April.

I would think Scheider has the better trade value hands down.

The only way someone takes Lou is for another long contract to come back to the Canucks.

Said before but a possible partner would be Tampa Bay with Lecavalier coming to Vancouver for Lou. Could work for both teams and then again could suck for both teams but either way there is equal risk/payoff with this deal.

Not sure if Lou would want Tampa Bay but it is a lot closer to his wife's family.

This playoff will tell the tale of whether we keep Luongo or not. If he falters with his typical playoff "meltdown".... I guarantee you he is gone. This team can afford to bury his contract in the minors if he doesn't accept a trade. That is why Schneider is still here. Not just insurance for this playoff year, but to fall back on for seasons to come if Bobby Lou craps the proverbial bed come April.

I think their values are categorically different, and I think each would return their like.

To restate the obvious:

Schneider is young and already very good. And he still has upside. But he's also relatively unproven. As an asset, his best features are his youth, his contract status and his upside. His downside is that he is unproven - much of his trade value is in an upside he may never attain. And so there's risk involved for buyers.

Luongo is in the prime of his career - and perhaps nearing the end of it - but perhaps not. He is a proven workhorse. He is one of the greatest goalies of his generation. Buyers know what they will get: elite goaltending that gives them a chance to win 95% of the time between November and May. His downside is his contract, his age (and considerable baggage) and questions about his mental toughness and big game ability.

I believe that each player would return something within their own category of value, which I have just restated above. So:

Schneider would return either a young player on the verge of being stars or younger prospects with star potential, but who may not yet be NHL-ready. It's long been speculated on these boards what that kind of player would be. Some commonly forwarded names: Hedman, Brett Connolly, Bogosian, Alzner and John Carlson.

Luongo would return a star. But there would likely be some issues associated with that player, whether it be inconsistency, an inflated contract or - as was the case with Mike Richards this past summer - a time for a break-up between player and organization, which can raise speculation over a host of issues including character and competitiveness. Off the top of my head, the following might be commensurable in value to Luongo: Mike Richards, a productive Jeff Carter, Thomas Vanek, a healthy Mike Green or a package of Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld.

If Luongo agreed to waive his NTC, I think there'd be interest in him. But Gillis would likely have to take back a contract the opposing GM would be happy to let go.

Luongo is more valuable - I've re-watched Game 7 against CHI, his shutouts against the Bs, and I watched him make big stops during the gold medal game. He has proven game-stealing abilities and the goaltending position is unique in which some goalies have their best years in their later years (Hasek/Thomas for example). This message board totally bashes the BEST GOALIE we've ever had in this franchise's history. The nights we get lit up, the team in front of him just doesn't battle anywhere near their capabilities and they hang him out to dry.

While I love having Cory Schneider on this team, he is a more attractive option to teams who are in need for younger franchise goalies (Edmonton/Tampa/NYI/NJ) and his contract allows for more flexibility. Luongo's contract is actually a lot better than people give it credit for - it was front loaded at a reasonable cap hit ($5.3M) meaning the cheapest years are at the tail end of the contract. For rebuilding teams, or teams needing to hit the cap floor this would be VERY attractive to an owner and GM.

Hmmmm, a 33 year old declining goaltender who has won nothing in the NHL or a 25 year old, intelligent, very agile goalie. I'm not a "Luongo hater" but anyone with half a brain can seen Schneider is emerging as the better goalie. He is faster, more agile, more intelligent and a better team player. The age difference and contract tip it heavily in Schneids favor.

Hmmmm, a 33 year old declining goaltender who has won nothing in the NHL or a 25 year old, intelligent, very agile goalie. I'm not a "Luongo hater" but anyone with half a brain can seen Schneider is emerging as the better goalie. He is faster, more agile, more intelligent and a better team player. The age difference and contract tip it heavily in Schneids favor.

Guest Dasein

Luongo can fetch us all-stars and franchise players or a boatload of 1st round picks and blue chip prospects.

Schneider can fetch us 1st round picks or top blue chip prospects.

We are not trading Luongo.

You guys overate Schneider big time.

He's a great goalie and I support him a lot but he's just not that proven, he's only ever played 60 games on a GOOD team.

Not to mention every fan in the league doesn't value him that much.

You guys overate Schneider big time.

He's a great goalie and I support him a lot but he's just not that proven, he's only ever played 60 games on a GOOD team.

Not to mention every fan in the league doesn't value him that much.

Luongo will not be with the canucks until his contract expires. His slow starts in October November cost the team a lot of points, and no team in this league has that luxury . We would be at the top of the league had he played at all well earlier.

His inconsistancy is his downfall and he is mentally fragile these days. If he thought the team had lost "the love" for him, I;m willing to bet he would waive his NT contract and move on. Schneider is proving he is a better fit for the Canucks.

Archived