The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"buzzkill For The Canucks' Next Shot At The Cup" - Globe And Mail

awalk

See here's the problem. The few bad ones, ruined it for everyone else(myself included) and its just not right to risk having this happen a third time. No matter how much fun it was when we were winning. Innocently enough just coming downtown in huge numbers allows these anarchists to do their thing. If you knowingly come down despite that, you may as well support the riots. Specially if you stayed downtown while the riot was taking place! The riots just showed how many morons there were because all the people lingering were just as bad as the rioters themselves.

I would be the first one to stay away from surrey after a riot in a similar situation - out of respect for people who live there. If I'm not there, its one less person to add to the crowd. Few more and the crowd is smaller. Then we can narrow down and deal with the real idiots. Maybe I can come back to surrey again in the future and the problem has been dealt with.

See here's the problem. The few bad ones, ruined it for everyone else(myself included) and its just not right to risk having this happen a third time. No matter how much fun it was when we were winning. Innocently enough just coming downtown in huge numbers allows these anarchists to do their thing. If you knowingly come down despite that, you may as well support the riots. Specially if you stayed downtown while the riot was taking place! The riots just showed how many morons there were because all the people lingering were just as bad as the rioters themselves.

I would be the first one to stay away from surrey after a riot in a similar situation - out of respect for people who live there. If I'm not there, its one less person to add to the crowd. Few more and the crowd is smaller. Then we can narrow down and deal with the real idiots. Maybe I can come back to surrey again in the future and the problem has been dealt with.

Citizens are 'harsh' for condemning those that pee in public (sometimes on THEIR property), lighting fires (sometimes on THEIR property), breaking stuff (sometimes on THEIR property)?????? OMG, whatever kind of world do we live in? :frantic:

As a condo owner downtown, a part of me (big part of me actually, lol) shares a similar sentiment to the riots as Ed. I get it... It sucked more for those who lived closer to the crime scenes than those who drove home and didn't really have to deal much with the aftermath.

At the end of the day, every other poster is right... You can't stop people from coming in to the DT area for the atmosphere and vibe. Honestly, I wouldn't want to since it was a big draw for me to by DT to begin with (not just playoff time but the every day vibe too). The issue is that every time these crowds happen, there's a good chance it goes south and costs the city/tax payers millions. That's a big risk to assume for a good time.

The part that hurts me the most though is that since last year, i've had to relocate for a job out of province and the black eye the city has over the last riot really bugs me. That's all I hear from co-workers/friends here and get ribbed on a regular basis. I'm proud to call Vancouver my home but all people remember, associate and talk about now is that event. It sucks... I hate that a few individuals managed to build up a mob mentality where people who had no intention of any wrong-doing did wrong. Lives were significantly affected (ie: that kid who was a good student and played polo, etc), damage to property and cars that will be never be repaid and traumatic experiences for people to the point where their opinions about things like crowds have changed forever.

I'm not sure we can put the majority of the blame on the city and the police. I agree they were unprepared but parties and celebrations like this happen often all over the world with little trouble. This suggests that riotous events are the exception not the rule yet that doesn't appear to be the case in Vancouver. The danger really comes from the flames that get fanned by the few anarchists which Vancouverites seem susceptible to emulate. If the crowds cleared right when the first few instances started, I honestly things would have turned out differently.

At this point, I'm not sure what I'd like to see. I love the atmosphere but the near-certain potential of riot in the face of another playoff exit concerns me.

It's very simple. I live downtown. By coming down there during the playoffs( that has seen two riots now) you're indirectly responsible for creating a crowd. That has led to enough confusion which allows so called "anarchists" to take advantage and destroy the city. Why would you want to put my security at risk so you can have a "couple of drinks" downtown. Go drink somewhere else. Nobody that lives there wants to take any chances and doesn't want you there.

Stop making excuses you just want "food and drinks" you can get there in 50 other places. You want to get involved with "the crowd" and that's part of the problem. If this was a "police state" there would have been dead rioters last year. Stop overblowing things and use some common sense. Coming downtown to drink with the crown next time is disrespectful, ignorant and selfish.

Archived