The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuckaholics Anonymous

Shift-4

Hey all

RWFT_Canuck here. (real name mysteriously in the acronym)

Im a Canuckaholic

and have been since 2002. back in the days of the greatly departed WestCoast Express.

Yes, my passion for this team started in highschool, as a new immigrant to the country it took several years for the game of Hockey to leech onto me, but when it did it was the most amazing rush, to watch and to play. Since Vancouver was now home, it made only logical sense to pick up on the home team, (and friends had some if not all the influence on my decision).

My biggest upset came not from a loss of a playoff series or not getting into the run in the subsequent years but as some may guess, it came when the NHL had the dreaded Lock out... I have to admit following that upset, and losing Bert who was my #1 player of the time, was a real shot to the heart, my Canuck fandom took a bit of a simmer mode, as I watched one by one, the team I once loved drop/trade/retire players that made this team/game so amazing.

My last memory of the old team came when Naslund finally retired his jersey and much of the year past memories came rushing back. I decided then to rekindle my passion for this team in full swing and started to take a much more intentional interest in the "new guys" many which has now become the core of the team. When the reach for Stanley Cup glory had become more of a reality in last years run, it was something I had never imagined would happen with this team, not in this lifetime anyways. The last time these guys were even close I had no knowledge of the sport so this time around, the rush was fresh and new. Picking up on stats and numbers was easy, but believing this team could go all the way was a step of faith.

This may sound so off my rocker, but I actually pray for this team, for them as individuals and for the team and all the executive office right up to ownership. Im a man of faith, and I have faith in this team. If not this year, than surely another. The time will come when these guys truly hoist that Cup, that "holy grail" of Hockey glory. I continue to believe in this team, and not necessarily in individuals but the team as a whole. Each person performs as a function to the bigger machine that is the Canucks. Currently there are 3 stanley cup towels hanging at half mast in the front of my house in memory of what could have been, but hoping is believing for that which we do not see, acting as if it will become. - more or less!

My name is RWFT_Canuck

And I am a Canuckaholic

#GOCANUCKSGO

My story takes a round about and somewhat ironic step to canuckahololcism.

In northern Ontario everyone cheers the leafs or Canadiens. I was given a bruins robe for Christmas at three years old from my grandpa. I relied on that for a long time however him giving up on hockey after expansion kind of "undervalued" the gift, the meaning. I followed the bruins somewhat, but just plain loved watching hockey. I liked their cup run in 1990 only to get smashed by the messier led oilers. (there will be lots of connective irony here). After cheering for Mario and my favorite player, Kevin Stevens, in the years following my peers branded me a bruins traitor. They couldn't know I wasn't that attached to them though I pretended. After all every kid in his early teens had a favourite team, hats pennants, etc and I wanted that too. Through the Neely (more connective tissue) Oates, Juneau , samsonov and the dominant years I had on NHL for sega I had returned to the bruins. Hold that thought.

I get a tv in my room in 1994. I stay up late and watch the Stanley cup playoffs in my room. Wow what a series versus Calgary. I keep telling my friend about this Canuck team but no one understands. They can't stay up that late. They don't understand. But I am enthralled. This bure kid is amazing and so is linden. BUT here's where I learn the importance of the whole team. Ronning, momesso, dirk, Lafayette, lots of different contributors. I would drag my 13" black and white tv to mcdonalds for my night shift and be heart broken when they didn't quite make it.

Time goes by, I move to london ont, I cheer bourque when he wins in Colorado, but it's empty. My next move brings me to Vancouver. I go to every bruins Canucks game but slowly I am learning the truth. My boss has season tickets. I got to 30 games from 05-09. Hooked, lined and sinkered. I know the Moose' roster, am saddened deeply by bourdon. I bleed with a Canucks heart. I choose emphatically van when the cup final begins in 2011. My son is born between game 6 and game 7. June 14th. The doctors say " would you like to induce today?" yes yes yes. Not waiting till tommorow.

I would end up holding him in my arms tellings him that the people on the tv burning things aren't real Canuck fans. They aren't even hockey fans. That's the mob. They're there because they have nothing else to do. I'm here holding on to you, going back to work tommorow, and waiting until next year.

Hopefully I don't wait too long, but no matter what

I'll be there for you kid. Win or lose, were watching.

I am completely obsessed with ANYTHING Canuck ! I Read everything, even remotely concerning the Team. I am a Canuckaholic. I don't want help with my addiction, I enjoy it waaaay too much ! I cannot go to sleep, until I've checked my Computer for any "late updates". Crazy Weird? You Bet ! And I LOVE IT ! I dream in white , Green and Blue for gosh sake . My Kesler, and LU jersey's are the first thing I see in the morning hanging on my Closet Door, so COOL ! never been to a live Game, but if it's the last thing I EVER do, this Season I'll be waving my White Towel in Roger's Arena ,and screaming GO CANUCKS!, till I can no longer speak. I'm so proud of this great Team, and so grateful we have them ! They are also the best looking guys in the NHL, which is a huge Bonus! To You Alex Burrows, give 'em Hell ! Go Canada !!

doesnt matter what team is on the ice good or bad I love this organization, when they lost the scf i was disapointed yes but realized this is part of our story. When we do finally win(hopefully soon) all those pain and struggles will make it that much more sweet......

I live and die by this team.

I <3 my canucks

Saskatchewan's #1 Canuck Fan Right here.

my name is Julian and I'm Canuckaholic... my first memory of the canucks was playing hockey on the duck pond behind my house with my dad and uncle who were both wearing the canucks skate logo jerseys, It was the same year that the canucks lost in 94, and it broke my heart .I was only 5, but the desire for redemption has burned in my heart ever since, and will continue to burn until the day that I see the holey grail of hockey raised proudly above a canucks jersey. I am dating a chinese girl who moved to Canada a year ago, she will never understand game night, when I just freeze in my tracks, no matter the occasion and say.... Game on. I am a Canuckaholic, some call it a curse, I call it a blessing

Okay... its time. Its time to tell them.

My name is CanucksRuleAll

I have a confession to make. I originally became a puck bunny in my early years. Everytime my family used to watch games, I just thought "Oh, Cloutier is hot. Oh, Naslund is quite the babe." I know...I know, I'm a disgrace. Gradually throughout the years, I started loving hockey. I didn't really have a specific moment where my love for hockey became more powerful than my love for hockey players. I had to thank my family. For not letting me change the channel when their was a Canucks game on. They made me sit and watch the game with them, and I couldn't be more thankful.

My name is CanucksRuleAll, and I was a puck bunny for a couple of years, then turned into a Canuckaholic and have been one since 1999!

Man, that felt good to get off my chest. Hope you all treat me the same <3

My story takes a round about and somewhat ironic step to canuckahololcism.

In northern Ontario everyone cheers the leafs or Canucks. I was given a bruins robe for Christmas at three years old from my grandpa. I relied on that for a long time however him giving up on hockey after expansion kind of "undervalued" the gift, the meaning. I followed the bruins somewhat, but just plain loved watching hockey. I liked their cup run in 1990 only to get smashed by the messier led oilers. (there will be lots of connective irony here). After cheering for Mario and my favorite player, Kevin Stevens, in the years following my peers branded me a bruins traitor. They couldn't know I wasn't that attached to them though I pretended. After all every kid in his early teens had a favourite team, hats pennants, etc and I wanted that too. Through the Neely (more connective tissue) Oates, Juneau , samsonov and the dominant years I had on NHL for sega I had returned to the bruins. Hold that thought.

I get a tv in my room in 1994. I stay up late and watch the Stanley cup playoffs in my room. Wow what a series versus Calgary. I keep telling my friend about this Canuck team but no one understands. They can't stay up that late. They don't understand. But I am enthralled. This bure kid is amazing and so is linden. BUT here's where I learn the importance of the whole team. Ronning, momesso, dirk, Lafayette, lots of different contributors. I would drag my 13" black and white tv to mcdonalds for my night shift and be heart broken when they didn't quite make it.

Time goes by, I move to london ont, I cheer bourque when he wins in Colorado, but it's empty. My next move brings me to Vancouver. I go to every bruins Canucks game but slowly I am learning the truth. My boss has season tickets. I got to 30 games from 05-09. Hooked, lined and sinkered. I know the Moose' roster, am saddened deeply by bourdon. I bleed with a Canucks heart. I choose emphatically van when the cup final begins in 2011. My son is born between game 6 and game 7. June 14th. The doctors say " would you like to induce today?" yes yes yes. Not waiting till tommorow.

I would end up holding him in my arms tellings him that the people on the tv burning things aren't real Canuck fans. They aren't even hockey fans. That's the mob. They're there because they have nothing else to do. I'm here holding on to you, going back to work tommorow, and waiting until next year.

Hopefully I don't wait too long, but no matter what

I'll be there for you kid. Win or lose, were watching.

That is a beautiful story .. these stories ARE touching, and make me awful proud to be amongst those who have shared what the Canucks mean to them ..

My name is Canuckelhead70

And I am a Canuckaholic.

Living in Ontario in the late 70's it was rare to see a Canuck game on TV, well except for when they were playing the Leafs or Buffalo. Like most kids I collected hockey cards and for some reason the Canucks stood out for me and they were MY team. That fateful Christmas day came when a box was opened only to see a black "V" Canucks jersey. Yes, something I could wear to represent "MY" team on the school yard. Surely I was out numbered and teased by everyone else, but I took pride in wearing the jersey.

1982 school trip to Quebec City during the finals. Play offs were always great to be able to see them play all the time instead of the stinking Leafs. Back then really didn't understand what it really meant for a team to win the Cup. I was happy they were able to play for it but crap 4 straight, ok so maybe the Islanders had a few good years.

1986 Neely traded, can't comment anymore on that. New Canuck yellow skate jersey. It was big enough to wear over my jacket so when we played ball hockey it was stopping pretty much nothing (blame me not the shirt).

1988 Linden drafted

1990 New Canucks white jersey the 20 crest on shoulder name and numbered...LINDEN. Things were starting to take shape for my team

1991 The Trade......Courtnall, Ronning, Dirk and Momesso

1994 The Cup run. Bure 5 and a game for checking from behind. Next game Messier 2 minutes for the EXACT SAME HIT, WTF. Canuck fans at the old Pacific Coliseum chanting "1940" Down 3-1, watching the boys bring it back to 3-3 and game 7 in NY. Third period two and half to go, ding off the post. If that puck goes in, we have the Cup in OT.

1997 New white Canucks Ocra jersey

1999 Sedins come to town

2001 Linden traded back home. Met him in Ottawa a couple days after the trade. He took pictures with us and signed our jerseys. My white 1990 Linden jersey,YESSSSS

2002 All aboard the West Coast Express. Met the team at the Montreal Hotel. Fan-freaking-tastic!! Worked with a Red Wings fan so the play-offs were going to be fun. Then, "it" happened. I'm not going to talk about a 100 foot shot going in from center ice anymore.

2006 Bobby Lu comes to town

2010 This is the year. Best team in the NHL. Up 2-0. There is no way anyone can beat us 4 out of 5 games.

2011 Montreal and Ottawa road trip. Canucks win both and start taking control of the division. Finally after watching the Canucks 33 times in other buildings I venture out to Rogers Arena, to watch my team with 18 000 close friends. un-freaking-believable. Then Play-offs.....sigh

34 years I have invested into this team, I will never leave or cheer for another. I welcome only getting 5 hours or less of sleep and going into work with a Canuck-hockey-hangover. I am and always will be a Canuckelhead

My name is Canuckelhead70

And I am a Canuckaholic.

Hello, my name is LuongoCFan, and I am a Canuckaholic.

I got into the Canucks during the 2001-2002 season. The Canucks played the Detroit Red Wings that year in the playoffs and surprisingly took a 2-0 lead in that series. I was treated to a home game in that series (can't remember which one) by my uncle and ever since, my love for the Canucks just began growing.

Every year from then on I have always cheered on the Canucks and watched them whenever I could. I can't say I feel the same level of hate for Mark Messier, or the same amount of disappointment that came with losing the Cup Finals in '82 and '94, but I can say that because I am a 'Nucks fan, I always try to share those same feelings blindly.

Go Canucks go!

Hello everyone. I'm the boards, and I'm a Canuckaholic.

In '78 or '79, I interviewed several Canucks for my Jr. High school newspaper. They were incredibly big and strong - unstoppable, I thought. They still seem 8 feet tall.

How could they ever lose?

Others have outlined the rollercoaster ride...I must have been siting in the back, because it's been wild.

I've brushed off the old programs and beer cups, and crawled out from under the stands (metaphorically speaking) to stand upright every October for year after year. Am I addicted to the heartbreak, or to the team?

Only a Stanley Cup brought home can redeem me...

Hello everyone. I'm the boards, and I'm a Canuckaholic.

In '78 or '79, I interviewed several Canucks for my Jr. High school newspaper. They were incredibly big and strong - unstoppable, I thought. They still seem 8 feet tall.

How could they ever lose?

Others have outlined the rollercoaster ride...I must have been siting in the back, because it's been wild.

I've brushed off the old programs and beer cups, and crawled out from under the stands (metaphorically speaking) to stand upright every October for year after year. Am I addicted to the heartbreak, or to the team?

Only a Stanley Cup brought home can redeem me...

It will happen and I have no doubt when we get the cup we will have a few runs and make it a dynasty.

Hello, my name is Dennis, and I am a Canuckaholic.

I am here today to testify that my path to canuckaholism should serve as a warning to those who think they can just be casual fans and continue to disregard the intoxicating exhilaration of victory or the despair and agony of defeat.

My story is simple enough. I was in my mid-20s, rootless and unattached. I had been hitch-hiking around the U.S. and ran into a Canadian family vacationing in Yosemite, where I was camped. Asked if I wanted a ride, I said sure. That's how I ended up in Vancouver. It was wonderful at first. I met a wonderful girl, fell in love, and we got married. It was October, 1970.

Of course, I didn't know of hockey then. I was all about football. Safe enough sport - you win some, you lose some, and there's always next year. Then a nice friendly guy in the apartment above us asked if I was a hockey fan. I said no, I've never even seen a hockey game. He just smiled and said you should watch sometime. I did, although I can't recall who was playing. It wasn't a good game; my impression was just some thugs with sticks whacking and fighting each other. Had I only walked away right then and there. But no.. I ran into the nice friendly guy a day or so later. I told him what I thought. Again, he just smiled, nodded his head and said, yeah that wasn't very good. Try tonight's game, you won't be disappointed.

He was right. That game was the first time I got an inkling of the skill and talent that can be seen on ice. I can still remember my first thrill watching a goal, and again that same game watching a spectacular save. I was impressed. Even watched a couple of more games. Nothing too intense, just getting to know the game. Then it happened. I ran into the nice friendly guy in a black sedan in downtown Vancouver. I said hello and we chatted a bit. He mentioned the Canucks were playing tonight. Yeah, I said, but I don't think it's on tv. Then he said it. "Do you want to buy some tickets?" And it was then I knew I wanted to. I did. I bought tickets to the game. And later on bought more tickets. But that was about hockey. Not about the Canucks yet. I was just getting my feet wet. Still, I managed for some years to just watch games and enjoy the sport. Whenever I had the money and the time I would buy tickets.

Those were good years. Simple, carefree, watching a great sport. I figured I was on top of the world. Until 1978. It's a Saturday in November. The Montreal Canadiens are in town. Glen Hanlon is in goal for Vancouver. I was like most people in the arena, cheering for Montreal. Then in the 2nd period 3 Canadiens break in all alone on Hanlon. I'm sitting right behind the goal, up just high enough to clearly see all of the action. Hanlon backs into his crease and whacks his stick on the ice as if in challenge as the 3 Canadiens converge on goal. A shot from the right side! Hanlon bats it away! A shot from center close in! Pad save Hanlon! Another shot right in front! Stick save! A shot from the left and Hanlon grabs the puck. It is so vivid in my mind. Complete silence as the arena collects itself from what it just witnessed; and then as one we all leap to our feet in a frenzy of excitement. Never have I seen anything like it since. All of a sudden most people are cheering for the Canucks now. I know for me that was the first time I drank deep of the Vancouver Canucks and it was good. So very good.

Not much else to tell. The history and our passion has been covered pretty much by those before me on this podium. However, these last two years have been very hard. My wife told me some years ago to get over the Canucks, they'll just break your heart. But that's unthinkable. My daughter is a Canuckaholic but hasn't come to terms with it. She cried for days after last season. This year she is still a little in shock and I worry about her. But we'll do some fishing over the summer and we'll talk. Next season you'll find us rooting and screaming our lungs out. We are fans of the Vancouver Canucks! We will love them forever, thick and thin, good or bad, and Bettman and the rest of the haters can kiss us where the sun don't shine!

And that's my testimony.

Hello, my name is Dennis, and I am a Canuckaholic.

I am here today to testify that my path to canuckaholism should serve as a warning to those who think they can just be casual fans and continue to disregard the intoxicating exhilaration of victory or the despair and agony of defeat.

My story is simple enough. I was in my mid-20s, rootless and unattached. I had been hitch-hiking around the U.S. and ran into a Canadian family vacationing in Yosemite, where I was camped. Asked if I wanted a ride, I said sure. That's how I ended up in Vancouver. It was wonderful at first. I met a wonderful girl, fell in love, and we got married. It was October, 1970.

Of course, I didn't know of hockey then. I was all about football. Safe enough sport - you win some, you lose some, and there's always next year. Then a nice friendly guy in the apartment above us asked if I was a hockey fan. I said no, I've never even seen a hockey game. He just smiled and said you should watch sometime. I did, although I can't recall who was playing. It wasn't a good game; my impression was just some thugs with sticks whacking and fighting each other. Had I only walked away right then and there. But no.. I ran into the nice friendly guy a day or so later. I told him what I thought. Again, he just smiled, nodded his head and said, yeah that wasn't very good. Try tonight's game, you won't be disappointed.

He was right. That game was the first time I got an inkling of the skill and talent that can be seen on ice. I can still remember my first thrill watching a goal, and again that same game watching a spectacular save. I was impressed. Even watched a couple of more games. Nothing too intense, just getting to know the game. Then it happened. I ran into the nice friendly guy in a black sedan in downtown Vancouver. I said hello and we chatted a bit. He mentioned the Canucks were playing tonight. Yeah, I said, but I don't think it's on tv. Then he said it. "Do you want to buy some tickets?" And it was then I knew I wanted to. I did. I bought tickets to the game. And later on bought more tickets. But that was about hockey. Not about the Canucks yet. I was just getting my feet wet. Still, I managed for some years to just watch games and enjoy the sport. Whenever I had the money and the time I would buy tickets.

Those were good years. Simple, carefree, watching a great sport. I figured I was on top of the world. Until 1978. It's a Saturday in November. The Montreal Canadiens are in town. Glen Hanlon is in goal for Vancouver. I was like most people in the arena, cheering for Montreal. Then in the 2nd period 3 Canadiens break in all alone on Hanlon. I'm sitting right behind the goal, up just high enough to clearly see all of the action. Hanlon backs into his crease and whacks his stick on the ice as if in challenge as the 3 Canadiens converge on goal. A shot from the right side! Hanlon bats it away! A shot from center close in! Pad save Hanlon! Another shot right in front! Stick save! A shot from the left and Hanlon grabs the puck. It is so vivid in my mind. Complete silence as the arena collects itself from what it just witnessed; and then as one we all leap to our feet in a frenzy of excitement. Never have I seen anything like it since. All of a sudden most people are cheering for the Canucks now. I know for me that was the first time I drank deep of the Vancouver Canucks and it was good. So very good.

Not much else to tell. The history and our passion has been covered pretty much by those before me on this podium. However, these last two years have been very hard. My wife told me some years ago to get over the Canucks, they'll just break your heart. But that's unthinkable. My daughter is a Canuckaholic but hasn't come to terms with it. She cried for days after last season. This year she is still a little in shock and I worry about her. But we'll do some fishing over the summer and we'll talk. Next season you'll find us rooting and screaming our lungs out. We are fans of the Vancouver Canucks! We will love them forever, thick and thin, good or bad, and Bettman and the rest of the haters can kiss us where the sun don't shine!

And that's my testimony.

This is great!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, my name is VMR and I am a Canuckaholic.

I am such a Canuckaholic that I come back to CDC just to see the logo and hope something new will be on the site. I even scroll through all the multiple threads on the same topic just to see if something new has been said.

My name is VMR and I am a Canuckaholic.

Archived