Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Early Exit Could Mean Big Changes For Next Season?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#31 SidneyCrosby4Lyfe

SidneyCrosby4Lyfe

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

should have brought up Jensen he would have been great with hank

#32 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

We need to get at least one bigger and tougher top 6 forwards.
One top 4 Defenseman.

#33 EternalCanuckFan

EternalCanuckFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

MG doesn't seem like a big changes kind of guy. I think it would have to depend on the nature of the playoff exit, even if it's in the 1st or 2nd round.

The team just won the President's Trophy for the second season in a row. They're a competitive team and although there's obviously a lot of room for improvement, they have consistently excelled in the regular season which has given them legitimate shots at making a run for the Cup.

How big would a change have to be to qualify as "big"? Trade the Sedins? They will have 2-years left on their contracts after this season. At the very least I would expect the Canucks to ride out the Sedins next year and possibly consider trading them in the final year of their contracts if the team is not doing well. Even then, that would be a surprise. The Sedins have been solid people, not just players, and it would be quite a shock for anything like that to happen.

Although I like Schneider's calmness in net more than Luongo's a-little-too-frequent mental breakdowns, Luongo showed last night that when he's on his game he's an exceptionally difficult goalie to play against. Trading him is an option but there's always the NTC to deal with and MG doesn't seem to like to dishonor NTC's.

Trade Kesler? I don't think that's happening short of him becoming a massive sideshow to the team.

A big change could involve trading Edler but that would obviously be extremely risky. It would depend on whether management believes he can take it to the next level (and he's still a few years from entering his prime) and their confidence in a) the return they would get and B) the ability of guys like Connauton or Sauve to step up right away.

I don't consider trading Raymond or Ballard big changes because IMO they are not integral pieces to the team. Raymond is a little bit more important but his impact on games has not been particularly noticeable since his 50+ point season a couple of years ago. He's a top-6 forward or bust.

At any rate, I expect MG to tinker with the line up and to see what he can receive out of the Luongo/Schneider situation (and I'm pretty sure Schneider will be the one on the way out). Who knows, maybe that will be enough to make significant additions to the team so that other changes won't have to be made.

#34 snolan

snolan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Alain Vigneault isn't going anywhere. He's now 5 of 6 seasons bringing Van to the playoffs. Each year we got in, Van was 1st in the North West division, and two time Presidents Trophy winners. Last year he brought Van to game 7 of the Cup Finals.

Vancouver has the right point men on the power play, they just need to not shoot the puck into the shin pads of the high penalty killers. When Salo or Edler hit the net, good things will happen in the way of either the puck going in on the initial shot, or rebounds popping out to the forwards.

I disagree completely and will backup my statements with facts rather then opinions. Coaches are usually the ones who bear the brunt whether it be warranted/unwarranted. See Ken Hitchcock, he clearly knows how to coach but wasn't getting the job done in Columbus. If a team (ie the canucks this year) is expected to make a run and fall short the coach will have some answering to do, be assured.

Disagree with the right men on the powerplay as well. Edler and Salo is a solid first unit, but the second is reaching a bit with D Ham on it, AND as you stated they shoot everything into shin pads. This is a problem. I think the team publicly stated they needed another shooter (why Kesler was on the point) so uh??????

CMON GUYS HAVE SOME FAITH! WE ARE GOING TO WIN. ANYONE CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT IF THEY WANT. YOULL SEE

-- 1st Period of Game 2 VS the Kings, 2012 Series

#35 snucks

snucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

Last year exposed the Canucks weaknesses, and they just carry on same old. Its an old Salo, a weak Raymond who had his back broken, along with Kesler who had hip surgery, a shakey sometimes Luongo, the Sedins who became punching bags ignored by the refs and a coach and manager unable to deal with it. Hopefully they will play Schneider from now on till he falters or is run over . Last night after the canucks stopped hitting LA took over, Luongo was pretty good till he didn't pick up the shooter from his left side. The Canucks have too many weak links this year. Shame they didn't sign Tores again.

#36 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

following the detroit model: no. although the coach is possible

#37 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hopefully next years camp focuses on hitting the net and actually getting the puck through traffic. Too many times last night and throughout the season the net was missed and pucks were shot right to the other team.
Posted Image

#38 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

People need to stop complaining and let the series play out.

#39 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,787 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Last year exposed the Canucks weaknesses, and they just carry on same old. Its an old Salo, a weak Raymond who had his back broken, along with Kesler who had hip surgery, a shakey sometimes Luongo, the Sedins who became punching bags ignored by the refs and a coach and manager unable to deal with it. Hopefully they will play Schneider from now on till he falters or is run over . Last night after the canucks stopped hitting LA took over, Luongo was pretty good till he didn't pick up the shooter from his left side. The Canucks have too many weak links this year. Shame they didn't sign Tores again.

:picard: .. yep .. Torres would have made all the difference alright ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#40 dadsbaggedinbaghdad

dadsbaggedinbaghdad

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

I wish Brashear was still around so that he could bust a few LA heads open. This team has been lacking a tough guy for way too long. I thought Kassian was supposed to be the new tough guy. What was a waste of a trade, waste of a pair of skates. Only change I can see - win or lose - is the need of some muscle. Duncan Keith would be in a hospital if Brashear would have been on the ice a few weeks ago (and rightfully so).
Posted Image

#41 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Let's see this series play out first. There will be many changes next year as our team is aging but we can't just give up yet.
Posted Image

#42 I Dangled Out Of The Womb

I Dangled Out Of The Womb

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

I disagree completely and will backup my statements with facts rather then opinions. Coaches are usually the ones who bear the brunt whether it be warranted/unwarranted. See Ken Hitchcock, he clearly knows how to coach but wasn't getting the job done in Columbus. If a team (ie the canucks this year) is expected to make a run and fall short the coach will have some answering to do, be assured.

Disagree with the right men on the powerplay as well. Edler and Salo is a solid first unit, but the second is reaching a bit with D Ham on it, AND as you stated they shoot everything into shin pads. This is a problem. I think the team publicly stated they needed another shooter (why Kesler was on the point) so uh??????

Regular Season:
Hitchcock in Columbus - 284 games, 125 wins, 123 losses, 36 OT losses, 286 points total. 50.3% point percentage.
Vigneault in Vancouver - 492 games, 287 wins, 155 losses, 50 OT losses, 624 points total. 63.4% point percentage.

Hitchcock made the post season 1 time out of 4 years.
'06-'07: 4th in Central, '07-'08: 4th in Central,
'08-'09: 4th in Central, '09-'10: 5th in Central

Vigneault made the post season 5 times out of 6 years.
'06-'07: 1st in North West, '07-'08: 5th in North West,
'08-'09: 1st in North West, '09-'10: 1st in North West,
'10-'11: 1st in NHL, '11-'12: 1st in NHL

The trend of head coaches getting fired in the league is when a team is doing very poorly. LA, Anaheim, Washington, Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Columbus... All teams that were sh**ting the proverbial bed before the new head coaches came in. LA and Washington had been chasing the playoff hunt for the better part of the season, and their new coaches brought them to that next level. Vancouver is doing as well as they have always done.

So far as I'm concerned, Vigneault is here to stay until Vancouver misses a post season.

But hey, like you said, that's my opinion. Just backed up with some facts.

Edited by I Dangled Out Of The Womb, 12 April 2012 - 02:22 PM.

Posted Image

#43 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,102 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

So far as I'm concerned, Vigneault is here to stay until Vancouver misses a post season.

Nice work on the comparison.

I agree that an early exit this year won't likely spell the end of AV in Vancouver. However, I don't think it will take missing the playoffs for MG to make a change either.

Hypothetically speaking, if the Canucks did make a 1st round exit this year and next year, then I could easily see MG making a change.

Hopefully we never find out though. :towel:

Edited by goalie13, 12 April 2012 - 02:30 PM.

Posted Image

#44 I Dangled Out Of The Womb

I Dangled Out Of The Womb

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

Nice work on the comparison.

I agree that an early exit this year won't likely spell the end of AV in Vancouver. However, I don't think it will take missing the playoffs for MG to make a change either.

Hypothetically speaking, if the Canucks did make a 1st round exit this year and next year, then I could easily see MG making a change.

Hopefully we never find out though. :towel:

Agreed.
Posted Image

#45 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

One game. Too soon. I'm shaking my head at this post.

#46 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,823 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

One game. Too soon. I'm shaking my head at this post.

i guess you are still new here, with only 911 posts.

the sky was falling back in Oct.
Posted Image

#47 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Can we NOT speculate about possible early exits and subsequent offseason changes? I realize the OP is raising a legitimate topic but can we just postpone this kind of discussion?

#48 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

one game and this - this site should be organized around maturity rankings - so the OP and the clowns that offered predictions would demoted to the daycare level and would have to try and work their way up to a more mature rank. Some here obviously would not get past grade 4 I think.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.