The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Early Exit Could Mean Big Changes For Next Season?

Canuckz101

Pros: Raymond is so fast and can skate like the wind with the puck. He's also very good when he's backchecking.

Cons: He's not very effective at anything else.

Early exit will mean some tough choices over Raymond, Luongo, Schneider, Ballard, etc.

But don't worry, we got this series against the Kings at least.

Which is why the players shouldn't be thinking about stuff like this. Given that we have to wait till Friday night to have much more to talk about, I don't see why this can't be an interesting discussion. Tired of you "anti-bandwagon" types that think you're not a real fan if you ever include the word Canucks and lose in the same sentence.

If we're out early, I think Kesler might go. Not that he deserves to get sent off, but I don't see the Sedin's, or Edler which leaves Kesler (and Schnider) as the only players we have that could get us a big return.

They should stay the course.

The basic components are there. If MG tries to make wholesale changes just for the sake of making changes, it could wreck everything.

Even Detroit went though some tough times before they won all those Stanley Cups. They lost in the finals in '95 but then failed to make it back to the finals in '96. Did they fire Bowman? Trade Yzerman or Fedorov? No. They stuck with them and won the Stanley Cup in '97, '98 and '02.

Have a little patience.

Doubt it ..... would probably be the end of AV.

We're close, but you can see we are a piece or two short (mainly a dman for the PP who can log top 4 minutes). I think all of the pieces are attainable.

Doesn't mean we don't' have a chance of contending this year but the guys are gonna have to fight long and hard and we are really banged up with injuries already.

MG doesn't seem like a big changes kind of guy. I think it would have to depend on the nature of the playoff exit, even if it's in the 1st or 2nd round.

The team just won the President's Trophy for the second season in a row. They're a competitive team and although there's obviously a lot of room for improvement, they have consistently excelled in the regular season which has given them legitimate shots at making a run for the Cup.

How big would a change have to be to qualify as "big"? Trade the Sedins? They will have 2-years left on their contracts after this season. At the very least I would expect the Canucks to ride out the Sedins next year and possibly consider trading them in the final year of their contracts if the team is not doing well. Even then, that would be a surprise. The Sedins have been solid people, not just players, and it would be quite a shock for anything like that to happen.

Although I like Schneider's calmness in net more than Luongo's a-little-too-frequent mental breakdowns, Luongo showed last night that when he's on his game he's an exceptionally difficult goalie to play against. Trading him is an option but there's always the NTC to deal with and MG doesn't seem to like to dishonor NTC's.

Trade Kesler? I don't think that's happening short of him becoming a massive sideshow to the team.

A big change could involve trading Edler but that would obviously be extremely risky. It would depend on whether management believes he can take it to the next level (and he's still a few years from entering his prime) and their confidence in a) the return they would get and B) the ability of guys like Connauton or Sauve to step up right away.

I don't consider trading Raymond or Ballard big changes because IMO they are not integral pieces to the team. Raymond is a little bit more important but his impact on games has not been particularly noticeable since his 50+ point season a couple of years ago. He's a top-6 forward or bust.

At any rate, I expect MG to tinker with the line up and to see what he can receive out of the Luongo/Schneider situation (and I'm pretty sure Schneider will be the one on the way out). Who knows, maybe that will be enough to make significant additions to the team so that other changes won't have to be made.

Alain Vigneault isn't going anywhere. He's now 5 of 6 seasons bringing Van to the playoffs. Each year we got in, Van was 1st in the North West division, and two time Presidents Trophy winners. Last year he brought Van to game 7 of the Cup Finals.

Vancouver has the right point men on the power play, they just need to not shoot the puck into the shin pads of the high penalty killers. When Salo or Edler hit the net, good things will happen in the way of either the puck going in on the initial shot, or rebounds popping out to the forwards.

Last year exposed the Canucks weaknesses, and they just carry on same old. Its an old Salo, a weak Raymond who had his back broken, along with Kesler who had hip surgery, a shakey sometimes Luongo, the Sedins who became punching bags ignored by the refs and a coach and manager unable to deal with it. Hopefully they will play Schneider from now on till he falters or is run over . Last night after the canucks stopped hitting LA took over, Luongo was pretty good till he didn't pick up the shooter from his left side. The Canucks have too many weak links this year. Shame they didn't sign Tores again.

Last year exposed the Canucks weaknesses, and they just carry on same old. Its an old Salo, a weak Raymond who had his back broken, along with Kesler who had hip surgery, a shakey sometimes Luongo, the Sedins who became punching bags ignored by the refs and a coach and manager unable to deal with it. Hopefully they will play Schneider from now on till he falters or is run over . Last night after the canucks stopped hitting LA took over, Luongo was pretty good till he didn't pick up the shooter from his left side. The Canucks have too many weak links this year. Shame they didn't sign Tores again.

I wish Brashear was still around so that he could bust a few LA heads open. This team has been lacking a tough guy for way too long. I thought Kassian was supposed to be the new tough guy. What was a waste of a trade, waste of a pair of skates. Only change I can see - win or lose - is the need of some muscle. Duncan Keith would be in a hospital if Brashear would have been on the ice a few weeks ago (and rightfully so).

Archived