Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Mike Gillis Is To Blame.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#31 CodyHodgson's #1fan

CodyHodgson's #1fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

I tottaly agree with you OP, the erhoff thing was the first thing that got me a little angry then Torres then bringing in those useless players, and once the trade deadline hit, I was done I mean Cody Hodgson. Cody freaking Hodgson got traded for practically NOTHING and all you Kassian lovers don't get me wrong im not blaming him im just outraged that Hodgson at that time would be traded for kassian and that time.

I honestly thought that having a third scoring line would bring us to the cup this year, I mean that way if our top lines get injured or arent producing as much (NOW) then we could still have that sort of backup. And don't say well we only lost one player that doesnt mean the whole line can't score now. Yes it does, Cody was one of those players who played good and made everyone else he played with better, and once he left that line went from a line that can score and is decent defensivly to a defensive line that barley scores.

MG really dropped the ball on this trade and he will be forever known by it. I was also really upset about wha the OP was saying to but i really thought I wanted to add to what the OP didn't about Cody. Congrats Mike, were down 3-0 in the series, what are you gunna do now.
Always will love and support Cody Hodgson, great player, great potential great character, and I don't care about those stupid rumours about the trade. And we lost him, what a dissapointment. Love you COHO, forever a canuck in my heart!

One day Luongo will raise Lord Stanley's cup.
And show all those haters that he is the amazing goalie that he is.
No matter what jersey he wears, I will always be cheering for Luongo.

Forever Believe.

#32 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Agree 100% with the OP.
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#33 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

Erhoff was offered a fair contract and turned it down. So Gillis moved him. In my opinion he was a decent puck mover but terrible defensively. His points were adequately replaced by Edler and Bieksa. In the playoffs last year we saw the reemergence of "Errorhoff", the reason why SanJose felt he was expendable.

Torres, turned down the one-year offer for more security with a multi-year offer in Phoenix. I will agree with you that I miss this guy in our lineup. Althopugh let's be honest there were parts of the season last year that his picture belonged on the side of a milk carton. Missing in long stretches. We didn't lose Torres because we signed Sturm so I think you are off the mark a bit on this.

I like Booth long-term more than Samuellson. I just don't think he fits with Kesler. Samuellson looked like a shell of his former self at the start of this year. Even slower, which I didn't think was possible. Getting a young player with Booth's skill set for two older players was a good move. Samuellson seems to have bounced back and is now giving Florida that veteran playoff performance. I didn't think we would miss him that much but you might be right on this one (in hindsight).

I think the moves at the deadline were intended for the right reasons. If Hodgson wanted out then I think we got back some good future prospects in return. Adding Pahlsson was supposed to be to relieve Kesler from the "shutdown" centre role. Obviously being down 3-buzz has everyone looking to cast blame.

Gillis has done a good job, changed our team culture and for the most part it has been very successful. Yes, some of the parts were here already but they have all taken tremendous steps forward with Gillis in charge.

Honestly, I believe we are a better team with all the moves but I think the core of this team looks tired right now

Edited by TheCammer, 16 April 2012 - 02:33 PM.

Posted Image

#34 js604

js604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Okay, if Mike Gillis had a time machine that could bring back the 2010 lineup, he would do so. He already knows he made several key mistakes, such as letting Torres and Hodgson go. We got a bench-warmer in return for our top point producer Hodgson. Torres was the gritty physical guy that this team desperately needed. Samuelsson is a smart playmarker that is the polar opposite of Booth who tries to do everything by himself.

It doesn't matter what you guys "believe" or what you think, because numbers don't lie. Our goals-for in the regular season were down (249 vs. 262), and our goals-against were up (198 vs. 185), even though goaltending was superior this year thanks to Schneider backing up. We fought our way to game 7 SCF last year, and now we can't even beat a 8th seeder.

Stop kidding yourselves, this current lineup blows and it's all because of Mike Gillis.

Edited by js604, 16 April 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#35 6string

6string

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

great article, i agree completley. the florida acquisitions are a complete bust, they were good players on a lousy team, look at calgary with boumeister n' jokinen, they were the best of a bad lot.

the number one rule for a gm in hockey , basketball n soccer is to never trade away a scorer, gillis did just that with hodgson. in principle the deal makes sense long term, but did he forget about right now!

gillis took us to one stanley cup and that will hold him here for another couple of years, but he has some big work to do if the canucks continue to struggle with their own game and fail in game 4.

clearly sutter has outcoached vigneault in the first 3 games with line match ups and player selection, it was wierd to see tanev with ballard...ballard hasn't played in 2 months and tanev ( playing real well ) has to carry him?, booth with kesler does not work with any constinency, higgins does...so fill the hole coach v!

or you'll be in montreal before the draft date.

#36 fyrblaed

fyrblaed

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

You people are clueless. It's not Gillis, it's the meddling aquilinis that at fault here. Most of the moves that mg lakes defy logic because the aquilinis are pulling the strings in the background. Why do you think the team had direction under burke? it's because mccaw was an absentee owner and gave the gm free reign to do what was necessary. Do you think anyone in their right mind would have offered $10 for a retired player past his prime? Signed an unproven goaltender to that stupid contract? or give the captaincy to a goaltender?

#37 TheWheeler

TheWheeler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Why does the "core" of our team look tired, yet the "cores" of other teams are tearing it up? THEY DIDN'T EVEN PLAY PRE-SEASON!

Answer: The core of our team, aside from the Sedins, are actually not as good as 90% of Vancouver fans think they are. They see regular season points. They see President's Trophy. They see shades of good stuff (Kesler vs. Nashville). And they assume this all means consistency.

It doesn't.

#38 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

For all the good things that Mike Gillis has done, his tenure with Vancouver will forever be defined by the Hodgson trade. Anyone at the time ( and it was majority of you) who liked the trade simply had blind faith in Gillis. It completely disrupted the teams chemistry and took away crucial secondary scoring (in big games to boot). Our hole was a top four defenseman and he goes out and gets Kassian whom is not NHL ready when we're in win NOW mode. That trade will forever be a headscratcher to me

I couldn't agree more. MG is a good GM and AV is a good coach (probably the best we have ever had) but the Hodgson trade was a huge setback. This move has decimated the 2nd power play unit and given us another checking line. At least when we had Cody, the 2nd PP did something other than pass the puck around the perimeter or play dump and chase. Hodgson was a guy who scored when we needed it.
Kassian might be a good player down the road but we need producing players now.....unless of course we are throwing up our hands and are in rebuilding mode. The Presidents Throphy and we are having trouble getting out of the 1st round of the playoffs? If our stars are mugged, the guys are supposed to suck it up? The league isn't going to do anything so bring the hammer down....battle. I would rather see us go down swinging than going down like a bunch off mouthy wimps.

#39 Losing With Pride

Losing With Pride

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,714 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

Torres left because he wanted more than a 1 year deal.

Gillis offered him a 1 year deal ONLY.

People in this thread are b*tching about him not putting up points in the playoffs....However I think they forget he hits, and regardless of what some people think...intimidate the opposition.

#40 js604

js604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

I couldn't agree more. MG is a good GM and AV is a good coach (probably the best we have ever had) but the Hodgson trade was a huge setback. This move has decimated the 2nd power play unit and given us another checking line. At least when we had Cody, the 2nd PP did something other than pass the puck around the perimeter or play dump and chase. Hodgson was a guy who scored when we needed it.
Kassian might be a good player down the road but we need producing players now.....unless of course we are throwing up our hands and are in rebuilding mode. The Presidents Throphy and we are having trouble getting out of the 1st round of the playoffs? If our stars are mugged, the guys are supposed to suck it up? The league isn't going to do anything so bring the hammer down....battle. I would rather see us go down swinging than going down like a bunch off mouthy wimps.

Agreed. Before the trade deadline, even the suggestion of trading Hodgson for Rick Nash (Colombus Captain) by some individuals infuriated most people here.

A few days later, what happens? Gillis trades away Hodgson for..... this AHL guy who now gets 3 mins of ice time.

#41 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

Ok so who would you pick as the next GM?

If the owner(s), want to have a new GM, I would try to bring back the guy, who can do it all, Exec., Gm, and Coach, the guy who never should have been fired : Pat Quinn.

#42 Teen Icarus

Teen Icarus

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

If the owner(s), want to have a new GM, I would try to bring back the guy, who can do it all, Exec., Gm, and Coach, the guy who never should have been fired : Pat Quinn.

Actually, that might be a good idea if the Canucks got Pat Quinn as their coach - he might actually play his young players and use newcomers. MG would remain GM and advise Quinn not to call superstars at 3 in the morning.
Spoiler

#43 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

Torres left because he wanted more than a 1 year deal.

Gillis offered him a 1 year deal ONLY.

People in this thread are b*tching about him not putting up points in the playoffs....However I think they forget he hits, and regardless of what some people think...intimidate the opposition.

^^^ This

I knew we'd regret the day he left and I've had so many people ask me this post-season why it is that we don't still have Raffi on the team. His body and rep on the ice would have benefited us greatly in the last three games by merely being there as an intimidating presence.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 17 April 2012 - 01:07 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#44 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

After the loss in the first I was like "Oh maybe they were unlucky because of penalties"
The second game... "Maybe I should start a rant, but they got a lot of random shots in"
The third game? Ok it's time for a rant.

Mike Gillis failed in addressing this teams needs and problems after last year's elimination to Boston. Let me start, by saying that letting go of Christian Erhoff who was an integral piece to our cup run last year, was a complete debacle.

Erhoff would have only cost us 4.5-5 million dollars, don't even say that Mike would have overpaid Erhoff. What he should have done, is waive that 4.5 million dollar 6th defensemen that AV still refuses to use! Notice why every player is suffering in stats this year? Notice how our fragile defense is not moving the puck as well as last year? Christian Erhoff ladies and gentlemen.

Let's not forget that he got rid of both Torres And Samuelsson, who are proven playoff performers. Was it not Samuelsson who scored 7 goals + against the Kings in 09 to singlehandly eliminate them? No, when poor Sammy was injured Mike traded him away for another inconsistent 4.5 million dollar winger who is UNPROVEN. Booth like Ballard, was from a Florida team that had no taste of playoff experience. Booth at 4.5 million is a disaster.

And out of all who does he decide to keep as a pet? Mason Raymond. I've ranted a lot on this particular individual for years now, that he is simply an inconsistent and useless player... Come at me Mayray Fanboys, Everybody does not love Raymond. It's really fun to see Mason Raymond running around in circles, going into corners, falling down... again Mike seemed to think that this figure skater is a top 6 forward. By no means am I blaming our debacle on just poor Raymond, but after clearly evidence that this guy can't perform when it matters.... Does it not ring bells on that stubborn Gm of ours?

Torres. Now why did we get rid of Mr. Torres. The excuse was that he was an inconsistent player... Raymond, Kesler and Booth THEY'RE ALL INCONSISTENT. At least with Torres, he brings that physicality and is known to perform in the playoffs. You know what, if we kept Torres, we wouldn't even need Kassian. But you know what we got? 2 Million Dollar Marco Sturm who cost a lot more then Torres.

The entire mistake started when Mike Gillis decided to change the "balance of the team" because we lost to Boston. That's right we are more balanced Mike, It's to bad we can't score now. We have lost our identity that made us so successful last year and as that offensive juggernaut.... We are no longer 2011 puck possession team but back to the old Ryan Johnson, Steve Bernier, running around dumping the puck and thinking that they contributed to the team.

Where do I begin with Mike Gillis' trade deadline.. just where do I begin. This is self explanitory. He had 4.5+ million of capspace due to Ballard being in the IR. And what does Mike Gillis do? Ofcouse he gets rid of our Calder candidate (at the time) for Zach Kassian who is a raw rookie. You don't add a Pygmy marmoset monkey against experienced primates. You just don't... you just don't...

And if you wanted to add Kassian to the fold, why not give him a chance to succeed? I'm not saying I liked Cody Hodgson, but if you want to trade him, Trade him for proven help! Not Zach Kassian, who in my opinion is twice less the player Raffi Torres was.

We also traded for Marc Andre Gragnani... This to me seems like the most clueless and useless moves ever... but hey depth that you never use is always good.

Sammy Pahlsson. I liked this move, but when we got Pahlsson and traded away Cody our offense suffered. IMO we did not NEED ANOTHER CHECKING line. We have tried this Checking Line experiment in previous seasons that gave us little scoring in the post season.

The trade Deadline was a complete debacle. Mike did not address our needs.

Ok I will end this to keep it short.... Personally I feel the loss to Boston not ONLY got to our players head, BUT IT ALSO GOT to the Bosses' head as well. He basictly change our philosophy of a fast puck moving team that score a lot and tried to emulate a team that is similar to that of Boston...

The reason we were successful last year was because OF SKILL and Puck possession. Now we are but a team that can't score, we have gone back to the 2009, 2010 dump the puck and run around like chicken Canuck folks. All because we lost to Boston.

If it was my choice, Mike would also be fired if we are to be eliminated from the playoffs in the first round. It was just hilarious watching Mike Gillis' arrogant face look clueless out there.

You gotta give Mike some credit about creating a first class organization, but when it comes to the product in the playoffs... it's not good enough. The only "core" that Mike has added in 4 years of being GM is Dan Hamhuis. The rest... Nonis, and even Burkie.

Samuelsson and the hoff did nothing in last years poffs. MG has structured the players salaries and Sedins deserve to be highest payed. The hoff wanted more money and said he felt that buffalo gave him a chance at winning the cup. The hoff has been golfing for three weeks.

frack the hoff

Edited by riffraff, 17 April 2012 - 01:16 PM.

Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#45 gourami12

gourami12

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Ok so who would you pick as the next GM?

Why not Lawrence Gillman?

#46 MickeyBlueEyes

MickeyBlueEyes

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

I didnt read your essay but all you had to write was this

Kassian TOI 3:55
Gragnani HASNT EVEN DRESSED

Hodgson was traded for absolutely nothing, might as well have traded him for draft picks

Booth and Pahlsson were huge swings and misses as well, that was due to poor scouting and research on the Canucks part as well though

i agree with what you're saying about the Hodgson trade, but saying booth was a swing and a miss, you're delusional, he's the only player who wants it on the team right now, the only one who's giving it his all every shift

#47 Apricot

Apricot

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Off-season:

Sign: Moen, Parise, Weber/Suter

What is this, NHL 12?

ahmet-maranki-kayisi-yagi.jpg

Previously known as CanucksRuleAll, CRA or Cantaloupe.

RIP RR, LB, PD. Forever in our hearts <3

#48 Apricot

Apricot

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

After the loss in the first I was like "Oh maybe they were unlucky because of penalties"
The second game... "Maybe I should start a rant, but they got a lot of random shots in"
The third game? Ok it's time for a rant.

Mike Gillis failed in addressing this teams needs and problems after last year's elimination to Boston. Let me start, by saying that letting go of Christian Erhoff who was an integral piece to our cup run last year, was a complete debacle.

Erhoff would have only cost us 4.5-5 million dollars, don't even say that Mike would have overpaid Erhoff. What he should have done, is waive that 4.5 million dollar 6th defensemen that AV still refuses to use! Notice why every player is suffering in stats this year? Notice how our fragile defense is not moving the puck as well as last year? Christian Erhoff ladies and gentlemen.

Let's not forget that he got rid of both Torres And Samuelsson, who are proven playoff performers. Was it not Samuelsson who scored 7 goals + against the Kings in 09 to singlehandly eliminate them? No, when poor Sammy was injured Mike traded him away for another inconsistent 4.5 million dollar winger who is UNPROVEN. Booth like Ballard, was from a Florida team that had no taste of playoff experience. Booth at 4.5 million is a disaster.

And out of all who does he decide to keep as a pet? Mason Raymond. I've ranted a lot on this particular individual for years now, that he is simply an inconsistent and useless player... Come at me Mayray Fanboys, Everybody does not love Raymond. It's really fun to see Mason Raymond running around in circles, going into corners, falling down... again Mike seemed to think that this figure skater is a top 6 forward. By no means am I blaming our debacle on just poor Raymond, but after clearly evidence that this guy can't perform when it matters.... Does it not ring bells on that stubborn Gm of ours?

Torres. Now why did we get rid of Mr. Torres. The excuse was that he was an inconsistent player... Raymond, Kesler and Booth THEY'RE ALL INCONSISTENT. At least with Torres, he brings that physicality and is known to perform in the playoffs. You know what, if we kept Torres, we wouldn't even need Kassian. But you know what we got? 2 Million Dollar Marco Sturm who cost a lot more then Torres.

The entire mistake started when Mike Gillis decided to change the "balance of the team" because we lost to Boston. That's right we are more balanced Mike, It's to bad we can't score now. We have lost our identity that made us so successful last year and as that offensive juggernaut.... We are no longer 2011 puck possession team but back to the old Ryan Johnson, Steve Bernier, running around dumping the puck and thinking that they contributed to the team.

Where do I begin with Mike Gillis' trade deadline.. just where do I begin. This is self explanitory. He had 4.5+ million of capspace due to Ballard being in the IR. And what does Mike Gillis do? Ofcouse he gets rid of our Calder candidate (at the time) for Zach Kassian who is a raw rookie. You don't add a Pygmy marmoset monkey against experienced primates. You just don't... you just don't...

And if you wanted to add Kassian to the fold, why not give him a chance to succeed? I'm not saying I liked Cody Hodgson, but if you want to trade him, Trade him for proven help! Not Zach Kassian, who in my opinion is twice less the player Raffi Torres was.

We also traded for Marc Andre Gragnani... This to me seems like the most clueless and useless moves ever... but hey depth that you never use is always good.

Sammy Pahlsson. I liked this move, but when we got Pahlsson and traded away Cody our offense suffered. IMO we did not NEED ANOTHER CHECKING line. We have tried this Checking Line experiment in previous seasons that gave us little scoring in the post season.

The trade Deadline was a complete debacle. Mike did not address our needs.

Ok I will end this to keep it short.... Personally I feel the loss to Boston not ONLY got to our players head, BUT IT ALSO GOT to the Bosses' head as well. He basictly change our philosophy of a fast puck moving team that score a lot and tried to emulate a team that is similar to that of Boston...

The reason we were successful last year was because OF SKILL and Puck possession. Now we are but a team that can't score, we have gone back to the 2009, 2010 dump the puck and run around like chicken Canuck folks. All because we lost to Boston.

If it was my choice, Mike would also be fired if we are to be eliminated from the playoffs in the first round. It was just hilarious watching Mike Gillis' arrogant face look clueless out there.

You gotta give Mike some credit about creating a first class organization, but when it comes to the product in the playoffs... it's not good enough. The only "core" that Mike has added in 4 years of being GM is Dan Hamhuis. The rest... Nonis, and even Burkie.

Its unbelievable how many people blame Gillis. Yeah, some of the trades he's made hasn't worked out for the team. But what gm hasn't made that mistake? Out of everything Gillis has done in his tenure as the gm, including signings. He's made about less than 10 mistakes, and the rest were just unbelievable steals. The Hodgson-Kassian trade. First, people need to get over that. It happened, its done, move on. I agree that Kassian is not the type of player we need right now. What if he turns into the Bert/Lucic type of player in a year or two? How many people are going to jump on the Kassian bandwagon? If he doesn't turn into that type of player, then yeah, hands down the dumbest move Gillis has ever made.

Honestly, getting rid of Ehrhoff wasnt a huge mistake. Yeah, we're missing him on the PP. But has anyone remembered how much of a defensive liabilty he was? Coughed up the puck millions of times in a game and you're telling me you'd be happy with the contract he signed up for in Buffalo? The guy is all about money. Comparing '09 Sammy to '12 Sammy is ridiculous. He was 33 in '09 and is 36 now. He's getting too old, and his and Sturms contract combined is about 5 million dollars. I would rather have Booth than two oldies. The fact that we got Booth for Sammy and Sturm is unbelievable.

I agree every point you made about Raymond. I was punching a wall repeatedly when he didn't get traded at the deadline. Guy's a horrendous player. I do hope he's gone in the offseason(that will NOT start when the clock hits 930-10pm tomorrow. Canucks in 7 ;) )

All in all,

He's made mistakes, but there's not a gm out in the market that is better than Gillis. I hope he's not fired at the end of the season. He's a great gm that will definitely help us bounce back.

Believe in Gillis. Believe in AV and believe in the Canucks! :towel:

Edited by CanucksRuleAll, 17 April 2012 - 02:21 PM.

ahmet-maranki-kayisi-yagi.jpg

Previously known as CanucksRuleAll, CRA or Cantaloupe.

RIP RR, LB, PD. Forever in our hearts <3

#49 geezer2

geezer2

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

all you people who want Gillis and coach V fired are obviously too young to remember the absolute crap we had for management for the first 30 + years of this club. Spoiled brats.... try supporting this team when it shared the record for consecutive sub .500 seasons with the mighty Seattle Mariners I would much rather be complaining about not winning the cup and being so close for so long as we are now than wondering if we will ever see a playoff game. Hello TO

#50 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

Well, MG has actually assembled a good team - however, it's up to AV to spark chemistry. It's usually not the GM's fault if players slump - usually it is the coaching staff's fault. Mike has brought in potentially good players, but it seems that AV doesn't like young players who make high-risk, high-reward plays. I think that if we got a coach who gives young players more freedom, players like Kassian, Gragnani, Grabner, Ballard, and other's would have looked far better.

Excellent answer :)

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#51 ninja321

ninja321

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Erhoff was offered the same contract as Bieksa but he wanted a long contract that MG wasn't willing to sign
Posted Image
Sig and Avatar by Me :)

#52 Vlas=d

Vlas=d

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

Gragnani is a young dman that came to a new team with a completely different system you cant judge him until next season. he was a trade meant for depth and to replace someone like salo next year cheaply.

lets not forgot hodgson bitched and whined about everything. complaining about ice time when you are rookie on the best team in the league is absurd. hodgson has NO speed and he constantly lost battles on the boards, unless he was playing against other teams 3rd lines. when he went to buffalo and was a top 6 forward he did NOTHING just like he did NOTHING last year in the playoffs.

kassian was never meant to replace hodgson he was meant to be a big gritty winger that has some scoring abilities. this is not going to happen over night he is a couple years away from being an impact but thats what this team needs. prospects that are going to be ready when the sedins / kesler are no longer around or well out of their prime. hodgson showed no signs of wanting to be on this team unless kesler or henrik were going to move aside so he can get his precious ice time.

i can't even believe people are trying to blame MG for this team being down 3-0. the reason why this team is down 3-0 is because daniel sedin is out with a concussion. thats a huge problem because suddenly the canucks no longer have 2 scoring lines they have 4 lines that have no defined roles. they lose their (scoring) checking line because now higgins must move up to line 1 or 2. they lose their 4 line because now lapierre must move up to line 1 or 2. you have players being put in situations basically asked to preforms roles they are not capable of and cracking under the added pressure.

everyone tries to do a little more and everything falls apart. and when everyone plays solidly there's a chance you lose like game 3 because you lack scoring depth.

the only fault you can give MG is AV. i hate this guy i think he is a terrible playoff coach and i hope that if the canucks do get knocked out by the kings that the biggest move MG makes is getting rid of him and replacing him with someone who actually coaches. you can also say the sundin 20million contract was ludicrous and with the emergence of cory schneider the luongo NTC contract is looking bleak, i can tell you though if schneider starts game 4 i will be shocked if luo doesn't ask for a trade.

Edited by Vlas=d, 17 April 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#53 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

all you people who want Gillis and coach V fired are  obviously too young to remember the absolute crap we had for management for the first  30 + years of this club. Spoiled brats.... try supporting this team when it shared the record for consecutive sub .500 seasons with the mighty Seattle Mariners I would much rather be complaining about not winning the cup and being so close for so long as we are now than wondering if we will ever see a playoff game. Hello TO

Yeah i can remember when 99 felt like he needed a tune up and would take it out on the Canucks or the year they hired Bill Laforge as coatch, jesus i think we went 0-20 before he got fired lol. Man we had some bad teams for years and some people want to fire everybody because Gillis dared to trade a player they fell in love with.

#54 tiredatwork

tiredatwork

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Gillis is pure smoke and mirrors, he's added absolutely nothing in his time here. Our top 6 point scorers were all here before him. 9 of our top 12 points guys were all here before him plus our two outstanding goaltenders. He's decimated our farm system and managed to do so without adding any talent. The Ballard trade, the coho trade, the Luongo contract, the Bernier signing, the booth contract, the Sundin contract offer, not giving the twins the 10 year deal they wanted with a low cap hit, letting Hoff go, letting Torres go, signing Ryan Johnson, letting Willie Mithcell walk. Practically every decision he's made has been awful. Because he had a Stanley Cup team handed to him on a platter he gets credit he does't deserve. If not for Gillis we'd have at least one cup, probably more. He just can't evaluate talent, easily the worst gm we've ever had.

#55 gourami12

gourami12

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

Gillis is pure smoke and mirrors, he's added absolutely nothing in his time here.  Our top 6 point scorers were all here before him.  9 of our top 12 points guys were all here before him plus our two outstanding goaltenders.  He's decimated our farm system and managed to do so without adding any talent.  The Ballard trade, the coho trade, the Luongo contract, the Bernier signing, the booth contract, the Sundin contract offer, not giving the twins the 10 year deal they wanted with a low cap hit, letting Hoff go, letting Torres go, signing Ryan Johnson, letting Willie Mithcell walk.  Practically every decision he's made has been awful.  Because he had a Stanley Cup team handed to him on a platter he gets credit he does't deserve.  If not for Gillis we'd have at least one cup, probably more.  He just can't evaluate talent, easily the worst gm we've ever had.

Don't forget his first big signing splash: Pavel Demitra! (RIP)

Edited by gourami12, 17 April 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#56 gourami12

gourami12

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

I seem to remember a new GM who went on record saying that he abhored No Trade Clauses and would avoid them in his deal making.

Since then, MG has been handing them out like candy on Halloween.

#57 Bingo Chili

Bingo Chili

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Torres, Willie mitchell, erhoff, hodgson, grabner > ballard, booth ( 4+ mil for few years), kassian, grags, sturm, his ego

#58 Dumbledore

Dumbledore

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

I am seeing a lot of blind fanaticism around here. Just because some of us are question the moves made by the GM or coach does not make us any less of fans.

Gillis has made some good moves like the Booth trade (which I still like) and the Sedins and Kesler contracts, but some pretty bad ones as well. Signing a goalie to a 12 year deal with a NMC stands out... WE HAVE ANOTHER 10 YEARS TO GO. However, Gillis will be remembered for the Hodgson trade. As a team that couldn't score in the biggest game in their lives, we traded someone that brought offense to the table. We got back in return a kid who isn't ready.

Our window is closing fast. The Sedins seem like they're on the decline and Kesler has taken a huge step back. How much longer before the Oilers or Avalanche start winning? Young teams like the Kings and Blues will only get better. This was probably the best chance we had. Oops.

#59 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

this is a good team...we all know that...they have been for a couple of years....cudo's to mike gillis....they have won the president's trophy for two years running and gone to the seventh game of the scf.....cudo's to the coaching staff....and the players
yes, the team has fallen into a low point, partly because los angeles are hungrier and more motivated.....people can blame gillis or the coaching staff or individual players, or the refs or their mother's cooking but this team looks tired and not being able to score falls on everyone's shoulders, but the goalies....if we could score, we'ld be up 3 games to none....i appreciate what this team has done and agonize with them, trying to turn things around...with their backs against the wall, i'll stand there with them and leave the nit picking till the season is over...

This is what would be called blind faith , Check back in to reality
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#60 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

This is what would be called blind faith , Check back in to reality

I would say that Joe has more than paid his dues with this team by virtue of his life experience and years spent cheering on this team and suffering through the lows with this team during it's tenure in the NHL. I would also say that his grasp on reality far exceeds that of a high percentage of the users here on CDC.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 17 April 2012 - 04:58 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.