The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Offer Their Reaction On Raffi Torres Suspension

The Horvatian One

The stretcher shouldn't be taken into account. While it may have been necessary, it also is often used as a precautionary measure, therefore simply using a stretcher shouldn't equate to severity of injury.

How long is Hossa out for? Last I saw, he 'wasn't making the trip to Phoenix'. That's a far cry from saying he's out indefinitely, or maybe won't be back this year, etc. It implies he may return, but isn't quite ready - they're only gone to Phx for one game. If he left the hospital on his own steam, at least he wasn't kept in there. I hope he's okay, even if he IS a Hawk.

Hopefully this doesn't lead to players staying down and waiting for the stretcher, to try and increase the punishment for their opponents.

Most guys want to jump up and skate off under their own power, but if the penalty is going to be decided by how bad something looks to the viewing public, then guys will try to milk it.

I know Raffi's history has a lot to do with this, but I think the visual of a player being carted off the ice is a huge factor also.

If Daniel had played dead after the Keith elbow, instead of manning up and staying in the game, maybe Keith would still be sitting out.

holy F are you kidding me he got 25 games for that hit!!!!!

The NHL is such a joke Keith elbows Daniel in the head and get 5 and for a hit (although repeat offender yada yada) and Torres gets 25!!

Ridiculous!!!! So message sent, better to go out and elbow someone in the head away from the puck then to attempt to make a hockey hit on someone picking their ass in the neutral zone.

Am I the only one who sees 25 games for a serial headhunter who won't take a telling as fair?

There were multiple rule infringements, and a history of multiple rule infringements but Raffi just keeps banging those heads with his shoulder/elbow and welcoming his opponents to the world of concussion............you know, that's the world where you wake up with headaches, eyesight problems, dizziness and unsteadiness. The world where you may be out for a couple of weeks or 6 months or more.

The world where if you are really unlucky you become more susceptible to the next hit and it has greater repercussions.

What happens when he ends a career or kills someone. What happens if his next hit is Danny and it ends his career? I'm sure the hypocrites on CDC would be wanting to lynch him and Shanahan for continually letting him off lightly.

The NHL is trying to stamp these hits out. Raffi obviously thinks the rules don't apply to him, well maybe this suspension will finally get through to him..............maybe.

Guest BuckFoston

It's all about the stretchers... it makes a bigger impact. If you see someone leaving on a stretcher the image is really dramatic. Sort of like Horton leaving on one last year and Rome getting that ridiculous suspension.

At the same time this doesn't explain how Chara got away with the Pacioretty hit. Well, he's a Bruin so I guess that explains it all.

That said, Torres really plays like a peen sometimes and the fact that he had "no comment" and didn't even offer any kind of apology or even a sympathetic statement like "It's part of the game, but I hope Hossa is okay" really doesn't make me feel sorry for him.

NO surprise the guys are guarded in tehir comments.

What really bugs me is the comments by Jonathan Toews about how what Raffi did is not hockey and there's no place for that in the game when they had a guy head hunt Sedin and another head hunt Smith. Then there's the Hagelin head hit on Alfredsson that concussed him, possibly ending Ottawa's chance to beat NY and he gets 3 games?! Av is right....the players must be really confused.

What Chicago has been doing is far worse and more of an intent to injure than what Raffi did.

Chicago and Boston, the two most hypocritical and classless organizations in the NHL.

I thought Phoenix has handled this well and with class.

The Torres hit on Hossa was late and high. Any worse than what Dustin Brown did to Henrik Sedin? Or, Keith on Daniel Sedin. Or, Shea Weber slamming Henrik Zetterberg's head into the glass.

The NHL is laughable in it's inconsistency. Torres gets 25 games. Brown gets a pass. Keith gets 5 games. Weber forfeits $2,500 (what's that amount to, a night on the town with the boys?).

It just shows, if you are an up and coming hot-shot who is crucial as a marketing product to the NHL, you're gonna get a pass. But, if you're a middle-of-the-road NHL'er, or a Sedin, your rights and safety don't mean spit to the NHL top brass.

I really doubt the Canucks are the only players/ team commenting on the suspension, I guarantee that every team has their local media coverage asking their opinions on the call. It's not like the Canucks are the only team out there with anything to see, its just all that we are exposed to.

Weber dirty play/intention to injure=no suspension

Keiths obvious attempt to injure with flying elbow (over exaggeration for effect)=5 games

Raffi leaving feet a bit+Hossa being a retard (may have caused the injury)= 25 games

Jackie-Chan-WTF-meme-face-70958233396.jpeg

Am I the only one who sees 25 games for a serial headhunter who won't take a telling as fair?

There were multiple rule infringements, and a history of multiple rule infringements but Raffi just keeps banging those heads with his shoulder/elbow and welcoming his opponents to the world of concussion............you know, that's the world where you wake up with headaches, eyesight problems, dizziness and unsteadiness. The world where you may be out for a couple of weeks or 6 months or more.

The world where if you are really unlucky you become more susceptible to the next hit and it has greater repercussions.

What happens when he ends a career or kills someone. What happens if his next hit is Danny and it ends his career? I'm sure the hypocrites on CDC would be wanting to lynch him and Shanahan for continually letting him off lightly.

The NHL is trying to stamp these hits out. Raffi obviously thinks the rules don't apply to him, well maybe this suspension will finally get through to him..............maybe.

Archived