The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Luongo Willing To Waive Ntc

Strombone1

Wow. A lot of sentimental, forgetful people on here.

Luongo is an outstanding goaltender. As an entire body of work, he is the best goaltender our franchise has ever had. However, he's also had meltdowns, often at the worst of times. In fact, it has happened every year since his first (and best) with us...and each year it cost us a chance to win:

2008 - In a fight for a playoff spot, Lu completely falls apart down the stretch. His save percentage for the final six games? .837!

2009 - After a phenomenal series against the Blues, Luongo's performance was hit-and-miss. But in the 6th and deciding game, what a miss! As the Canucks kept piling on the goals to try to outscore his mistakes, he just got worse and worse. He finished the game allowing 7 goals on 30 shots - a save percentage of .767

2010 - Again, Chicago manages to perforate him at the worst of times. He had a strong 1st and 5th game, but his save percentage in the other four games was a measly .860

2011 - Manages not to completely blow it against Chicago this time around (had to start Schneider once to calm him down a bit), and goes on to play very well...until he gets to Boston. It's strange, because he played so well in the three wins he did have, but with Thomas' goaltending and Boston's defense, he needed to give us a chance to win a 4th game with 2-3 goals, but he never did. We were out of that 6th game before the 1st period was over.

2012 - Didn't play bad, but gave up a bad goal in each game. And in a tight-checking series, that's the difference between winning and losing. Losing the first two games at home? Series is pretty much done, despite Schneider coming in and playing lights-out.

I'm not going to completely blame all those failures on Luongo alone. However, I also think it's silly to be completely oblivious to his part in them.

With some goalies, you don't know what you're getting year-to-year. Whereas Lu is remarkably consistent - both good and bad - and it hasn't worked. It's time to move forward with who looks to be the better goalie.

I was thinking that Schneider who obviously has more upside would probably get Vancouver a better player in a trade. So, I know this is hypothetical, but what if either a Schneider deal or some other deal gets us better on defense, would we be fine with keeping Luongo? Luongo has backstopped the Canucks to game 7 of the Cup Finals & won a Team Canada Gold. Granted his performance wasn't great in every playoff game last year, but what goalie doesn't take a night off? even in the playoffs. Playoffs are a grueling schedule and there's a lot of pressure, so it's understandable to have a few clinkers. But only a few.

Still Brodeur nor Maclean could get us a Cup either. So to this point, Luongo's in good company with some of Vancouver's best goalies. Granted this version of the Canucks is much more talented than the 82 Canucks.

I think Cory is going to be an elite goalie and would be happy with either Luongo or Schneider to be the starter. Is Schneider a big enough of an upgrade over Luongo to get us a Cup? He played great in the LA series, but it wasn't enough. Last year in the Finals, probably half of the players on our team was beat up and injured, but a healthier Vancouver team would have probably beaten the Bruins last year. (yeah I know... woulda, coulda, shoulda... whatever). In the LA series I think goaltending was the least of our worries. The team couldn't score.... that was our biggest problem.

I suggest that we should just look at which goalie to keep based on which goalie will fetch us more on the trading block. We have Lack getting close to being a back up for the Canucks. So we are solid in the nets regardless of what hand we play. But maybe it's the wrong way to decide who stays who goes but I thought I would throw it out there. I think the Canucks are set up well in the nets for years no matter which way they go. Even if Schneider is better, Luongo is a great goalie and with the right team in front of him should be able to backstop the Canucks to a Cup win. So if Schneider can get us more in return then I would deal him.

Yup and Cody didn't want to stay here either.

You think Kassian is getting sick of things?

Raymond? Kesler?

We may not have to blow up the team if the market runs all our players out of town and stops management from doing their jobs. I'm sick of the Vancouver hockey culture. It's the main reason we have trouble winning a cup.

hahahaha they're "hanging him out to dry".

he regularly has playoff meltdowns, and in my opinion, lost the canucks the stanley cup.

and his backup is UNDOUBTEDLY better than him himself.

and even then they didn't say they would trade him for sure, he just said he would be willing to if they asked.

how is that hanging him out to dry? rofl youre an idiot

It was a dream come true for me when we traded for Luongo. My all-time favorite goalie was traded to my all-time favorite sports team.

If you were to tell me this time last year that there was a very good chance of Luongo being traded, I would have laughed at your face.

It almost makes you sick, thinking about the fans and the management just spitting in Luongo's face after he ALMOST single handidly made this franchise into the elite franchise that it is today.

Wherever he gets traded to, I hope he wins the Stanley Cup with them.

I'm not the biggest Luongo fan, but he has done wonders for this franchise. Any real educated fan would at least acknowledge that.

He saved the Canucks from any sort of rebuild. Like Naslund, Luongo saved the team and helped the team become competitive. While shakey at times during the run, he was for the most part brilliant and a main reason the team got so far.

It's a shame the media and fans have brought all this negative aura around him and the team.

When you think about it, it's amazing how long our core group has been together. But like all good things, they must eventually come to an end. Maybe a fresh start in Vancouver is what the team (and Luongo) needs. Who knows.

If Luongo does indeed move to another team, I hope he realizes there are fans who support him and appreciate his efforts.

Archived