The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth Bruin Hunting, Shoots Down Chara?

PlayStation

All things aren't equal. Humans have larger brains and we use it to our advantage. I kill bears with my large brain, a bow and a sharp arrow. If your brain were large, you could do the same. I'm going to name the head mount De Niro. :)

Again - I see nothing courageous about "hunting" safely from a platform and ambushing a bear. I stand by "cowardly" as a matter of fact. What would require some form of bravery would be to stand and face the bear, allowing it the opportunity to be "fair game". Some sort of challenge that involves an equal threat to survival. Then, maybe it could be boasted about in pictures and stories. Anything less is entirely unimpressive.

But whatever floats your boat. Don't expect that we all share the same interests as you and your wife - quite frankly, I couldn't care less what she does with her spare time. And you likely shouldn't care about what I do with mine. :)

With that, the personal attacks stop now or you'll quickly be picked off by someone also perched high atop her platform, ready to pounce on those rummaging around looking for garbage. Seems fair to me.

Re: "cowardly". Tree stand is the preferred method of bowhunting black bears for several reasons.

1- the tree stand offers a perfect hide, and the elevated position will help keep human scent off the ground.

2- the proximity. Allows the hunter the best opportunity to make a clean and humane kill.

3- observing the bears at the bait is the one sure way to avoid shooting sows with young cubs.

Cowardice is not a valid reason ... In fact, if you've ever seen how quickly a bear can climb a tree, you would realize that the stand offers no added safety to the hunter.

Is the lion cowardly when he lies in wait in the long grass as the zebra nears? Are hawks and eagles less worthy hunters because they prey from above? If you would like to discuss like adults, you are welcome to come over any time - my wife is cooking elk roast tonight, arrowed from a treestand, btw.

Apparently name calling and personal attacks on hunters like Booth and myself are ok - as long as they come from a moderator of the site.

Again - I see nothing courageous about "hunting" safely from a platform and ambushing a bear. I stand by "cowardly" as a matter of fact. What would require some form of bravery would be to stand and face the bear, allowing it the opportunity to be "fair game". Some sort of challenge that involves an equal threat to survival. Then, maybe it could be boasted about in pictures and stories. Anything less is entirely unimpressive.

But whatever floats your boat. Don't expect that we all share the same interests as you and your wife - quite frankly, I couldn't care less what she does with her spare time. And you likely shouldn't care about what I do with mine. :)

With that, the personal attacks stop now or you'll quickly be picked off by someone also perched high atop her platform, ready to pounce on those rummaging around looking for garbage. Seems fair to me.

Re: "cowardly". Tree stand is the preferred method of bowhunting black bears for several reasons.

1- the tree stand offers a perfect hide, and the elevated position will help keep human scent off the ground.

2- the proximity. Allows the hunter the best opportunity to make a clean and humane kill.

3- observing the bears at the bait is the one sure way to avoid shooting sows with young cubs.

Cowardice is not a valid reason ... In fact, if you've ever seen how quickly a bear can climb a tree, you would realize that the stand offers no added safety to the hunter.

Is the lion cowardly when he lies in wait in the long grass as the zebra nears? Are hawks and eagles less worthy hunters because they prey from above? If you would like to discuss like adults, you are welcome to come over any time - my wife is cooking elk roast tonight, arrowed from a treestand, btw.

Apparently name calling and personal attacks on hunters like Booth and myself are ok - as long as they come from a moderator of the site.

Uh, as I said, by "because he can" that also meant "legally" too. But yes let's compare the legal killing of a bear to the illegal murdering of other humans.. by the way, how many murderers eat their prey? We better ask them.

I have but that didn't answer the question. ;)

Anyways, these laws about hunting bears are not autonomously made by bear hunters, so that kinda throws the crummy dictator argument out the window too along with the human murderer one. Is there something reasonable you can compare the legal killing of a bear to? While I can see you personally have an objection to this issue, on the sensibility scale here you've hit rock bottom in company with PETA.. which is not exactly good company to be with.

Based on the outrage seen around the Booth case and the negative reaction shown towards trophy hunters here, I would venture to guess that public opinion is generally against it. It doesn't seem that public opinion always shapes our laws though.

Those who eat their kill, I can fully understand it as a way to be active, live off the land and provide yourself with sustenance in some small way, without leaving all the dirty work to some factory farm and slaughter house. As for those who kill for trophy, what do they get out of it, other than some sadistic pleasure and power trip out of killing some poor defenseless animal for the sake of killing it, taking some pictures with it and leaving its carcass rotting on the ground? Is there more to it than this, and do you deny that a similar sadistic and psychopathic mindset drives it?

Archived