The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Any Vancouverite Who Is Living Or Has Lived In La

chandlerbing

Good question: Dubai gives preference to workers who have at least some solid years of work experience under their belt. I have plans of working there as well, but later on in life. You can't just move to Dubai without a job. They don't allow that.

You can either make the best of what you have or you can take your chances and work for what you want. You like Vancouver. I like a city that supports my hobbies and my interests. I mentioned this all in my first post. :)

You find Vancouver depressing eh? Rated top city to live in for like 5 years running, I guess you'll love the gang scene down in LA and millions of slums, remember, find out which gang occupies the area you live in so you know which color to wear, otherwise you're toast. I havent lived down there but have went down there numerous times, not a place id ever want to live in, ever. And also, ill live in Canada anyday of my life over the US. I understand though that with you job you have no choice, so all the luck to ya.

Never lived there, but I've travelled there quite frequently and I can say that I absolutely wouldn't be able to live there. It's nice for a little while, but then the traffic, pollution, and people just get to me and I have to come home to Vancouver.

Wow..the arrogance is appaling by some posters here. Seriously guys, liking LA over Vancouver and vice-versa is a matter of personal preference. Highway traffic? Are you guys from Mars? Does it not exist in Vancouver every mornings and early evenings? Crime? Bacon Brothers, Hells Angels, Indo-Canadian gangs, Asian gangs, shootings in Surrey, stabbings in Vancouver clubs - each element that is present in LA is also present in Vancouver. Also, please please please try to understand that you're talking to a person who has lived in Dubai for 15 years where the lifestyle is very different from Vancouver. Our highways have 5 lanes, for god's sake LOL. Everything is done on a grand scale. We are always on the go. Vancouver is sleepy for me. Plus, I don't like rain, cold or snow. This is all a matter of personal preference. That's my point. If you guys like it, cool, but at least be humble about it. I mentioned both good and bad points about Vancouver in my posts earlier.

All I wanted was opinions from Vancouverites who lived in LA about the lifestyle.

Wow..the arrogance is appaling by some posters here. Seriously guys, liking LA over Vancouver and vice-versa is a matter of personal preference. Highway traffic? Are you guys from Mars? Does it not exist in Vancouver every mornings and early evenings? Crime? Bacon Brothers, Hells Angels, shootings in Surrey, stabbings in Vancouver clubs - each element that is present in LA is also present in Vancouver. Also, please please please try to understand that you're talking to a person who has lived in Dubai for 15 years where the lifestyle is very different from Vancouver. Our highways have 5 lanes, for god's sake LOL. Everything is done on a grand scale. We are always on the go. Vancouver is sleepy for me. Plus, I don't like rain, cold or snow. This is all a matter of personal preference. That's my point. If you guys like it, cool, but at least be humble about it. I mentioned both good and bad points about Vancouver in my posts earlier.

All I wanted was opinions from people who lived in LA about the lifestyle.

LA is alright, depending on where you live. There are some nice areas, but there are others you want to avoid completely. You have to be careful and really try to avoid the ghettos. Personally I prefer the outer areas like Orange County and the coastal cities, but It can be very expensive to live there.

Overall LA has much more entertainment than Vancouver and it isn't even close. Of course it's still not always gonna be sunshine, parties and beaches 24/7. Most people there lead normal lives just like Vancouverites, except there's more to do on the weekend. Also it doesn't have the clean, safe, laid back feel that Vancouver does (unless you go to the coastal areas) thanks to the added crime, traffic, and smog which is found in many parts of the city especially downtown.

Finally if you're looking for massive Dubai-like infrastructure, you will be very disappointed. The buildings in the downtown core aren't as tall or impressive as you'd think, not much better than Vancouver, actually.

I'm probably making LA sound like a bad city, it isn't. There are some nice areas and great things about the city. In my opinion though you sound like you have sort of an idealistic stereotypical view of LA. Just do your research and maybe visit before you move there.

I was there last year visiting a friend. He lives in Beverly Hills and works for AIG's aircraft leasing unit as a corporate strategist. He was quite busy with work so my trip in LA was cut short - few days. Of course, visiting is very different from living. That's why I thought it would be a good idea to ask first :)

Have you considered San Diego?

I have a bit of a bias because its the first city in California I visited and I totally fell in love. Obviously, LA has more theme parks such as Disneyland, Six Flags, Legoland, Universal Studios, etc but if you live in the city, it becomes boring after a while. Also, you can make day trips to visit these theme parks from San Diego. San Diego is much closer to Mexico if you want to make trips there.

I was there last year visiting a friend. He lives in Beverly Hills and works for AIG's aircraft leasing unit as a corporate strategist. He was quite busy with work so my trip in LA was cut short - few days. Of course, visiting is very different from living. That's why I thought it would be a good idea to ask first :)

Los Angeles influences the country, and sometimes the rest of the world. For better or for worse, Los Angeles is a big, big city. So in a way, big city attitude is expected.

Vancouver is small, but views itself as New York

LA is alright, depending on where you live. There are some nice areas, but there are others you want to avoid completely. You have to be careful and really try to avoid the ghettos. Personally I prefer the outer areas like Orange County and the coastal cities, but It can be very expensive to live there.

Overall LA has much more entertainment than Vancouver and it isn't even close. Of course it's still not always gonna be sunshine, parties and beaches 24/7. Most people there lead normal lives just like Vancouverites, except there's more to do on the weekend. Also it doesn't have the clean, safe, laid back feel that Vancouver does (unless you go to the coastal areas) thanks to the added crime, traffic, and smog which is found in many parts of the city especially downtown.

Finally if you're looking for massive Dubai-like infrastructure, you will be very disappointed. The buildings in the downtown core aren't as tall or impressive as you'd think, not much better than Vancouver, actually.

I'm probably making LA sound like a bad city, it isn't. There are some nice areas and great things about the city. In my opinion though you sound like you have sort of an idealistic stereotypical view of LA. Just do your research and maybe visit before you move there.

Archived