The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It Stings A Little More This Year

juliusgulius

I thought this year was more disappointing by a fair margin.

Last year Boston was easily the better team, and the Canucks refusal to stick up for themselves combined with their injuries made it easier for me to accept. There were bright spots like Schnieder, Tanev and Hodgson.

This year it was like they didnt learn anything. The inability of this team to pull it together is a lot more discouraging this time around, and the apparent shortcomings of the leadership and coaching staff make it tough for me to remain optimistic about this team going forward. They still refuse to stick up for each other.

I get the impression there is some lingering dysfunction going on with this team

Little bit of bad luck with Daniel Sedin out. Guaranteed if we played the Kings again we would beat them. If you look at the games, we lost cause of boneheaded mistakes that aren't normally made by this team, this coulda easily been a 4-0 sweep in favor of the Canucks as well, the Kings didnt blow Vancouver out by any means, we just shot ourselves in the foot. I'm excited for season, and this offseason which could land us some huge free agents. We're a contender again next season.

Actually I was not suprised at the Nucks going out first round, I am more suprised with how they were so heavily favored to win, by that i mean how poorly they played from the all star break right up to the play offs. They did not play with any determination or heart it was painful to watch compared to the run they made last year, the way i see it they put us out of our misery this year! I hope that next year is the year!

Honestly, I was expecting a second round exit due to the teams issues since Dec-Jan, so this was not a surprise at all; guess it is a slight disappointment for a 1st round exit since we won only one game with three losses at home mind you, but honestly I was not expecting Kesler to turn into a beast in the playoffs again and sure as hell I wasn't expecting Raymond to turn into something hes never been ... Third line wasn't build to be a big offense so that kinda put the wagon on the Sedin line and unfortunately the top scorer for us was out for the first three games.

We had awesome goal-tending and that's the reason we actually did not get fully blown away

Last year's series vs Boston stung a lot more since we were 60 min away from the Stanley Cup and because of Boston's unethical dirty non hockey play and be awarded with the cup for this garbage... Come to think, this will sting for ever as is a much greater achievement to get to the final then fail. Thank Bettman and Shanny for the middle finger they gave to us during the series.

LA beat us fair and square, capitalized on every single mistake we made and all the bounces went their way for most part.

It looked like the LA players paid attention to their coach and did their homework 150% against Canucks. Unfortunately AV got pretty out-coached once again(not surprising) and MG made some pretty dumb trades with Kesler's injury (I believe the Coho trade was more emotional then anything). We had issues issues haunting us since the Boston series which were not addressed in any way, and that's a big part of the reason we lost along with injuries and fatigued players (Edler had a brutal series but also played the entire season if I'm not mistaken).

Also hard to believe but last year we could have had an early exit as well... remember the meltdown against the Hawks? we were up 3 games to none just for the series to go on game seven at home which also happened to go in OT??? We were very lucky to win game 7 in OT as it could very easily have gone the other way over a lucky funny bounce or something similar.

I dont want to disrespect anyone, but the management needs to realize that making panic changes right before and during the playoffs will not result in success... Raymond is the prime example of this and also the fact that we had no answer for an injury and the Kesler and then Daniel's injuries proved just that. Trading a player like Coho who wanted to play more, proved he was determined and wanted to achieve more then what he was given was a bad move...

Even if we miraculously passed the 1st round, I'm willing to bet Kesler would have been out at a point during the run leaving the team with no legitimate second line center and again with nothing to show for...

AV is guilty of playing Kesler at full potential while knowing he was injured... big mistake right there.

I just hope the Sedin's are still in their prime and can hold it for a few more years to at least have another run at the cup...

Also a question for all the fans saying that AV and MG achieved so much with this team; what coach would not have a similar run if not even a better one (winning the cup) with a duo like the Sedins??? I am willing to bet at least 90% of all the coaches in NHL would have had a run at the cup and most likely win it with the Sedins, however AV's inability to adapt and change strategies on the fly really shows and that's why Vancouver still doesn't have Stanley.

It was much easier building up my hopes last season when we were annihilating teams left and right in the regular season. We just looked like we dominated everyone so well and everyone recognized that the Canucks would go far. Last year was so much more disappointing and it still stings thinking about last year because of how close we were and how it was supposed to go perfectly in our 40th year.

This season was pretty boring to be honest.. I didn't see too many games with the Canucks firing every game like they used to. That could attribute to the short off-season, but by the middle-end of the regular season it was getting awful. We assumed they'd suddenly find their second gear, but with Daniel being out and the abundance of mistakes.. I had a feeling as optimistic as I was that our season was coming to an end. I'm pretty much over this season's loss as it didn't really even get a chance to build up, but last season will always be looked upon in recent history until we win a Cup.

Archived