The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shea Weber Tops Canucks Fantasy Trade List (Province Article)

bryguy26

Thats just more of a reason to not trade them kesler, edler and half our future for him.. If he's looking for the home run Crosby contract then were screwed anyways because he won't resign. But we can however offer him a very generous(not quite Crosby money) long term contract in 2013. A contract with a team poised to win the cup(another reason to sign it). Not a team missing a great second line center and nothing coming down the prospect pipeline.

I see a great opportunity to add cup run pieces and prospects this summer by trading a goalie(something Nashville doesn't need so we would be sending key pieces of our team). We are still a top contender as is, why blow that and our future up?

Just because weber is awesome doesn't mean getting him that way will make us a better team.

I'm not so sure about Weber anymore, I been a huge fan over the years and some may flame me for saying this but I am slowly starting to think he is a bit over-rated. After watching him a little closer the last couple seasons in the playoffs he doesn't seem like a 7-8mil player. Not saying I wouldn't love to see him playing for the Canucks, just not at that huge price tag.

Rafalski retires out of the blue. Now lidstrom retires, Detroit may finally be missing the playoffs. Wait, whats this? A boatload of cap space and Norris finalist Shea Weber and his buddy Ryan Suter want out of Nashville. Looks like Detroit just bought themselves another 10 years of playoffs.

MARK MY WORDS! MARK THEM!!

Consider that Shea Weber has various ties to this city besides growing up 500 kms away.

Dan Hamhuis is a personal friend of Weber's and has been for eight years. In Nashville.

Roberto Luongo is a friend from the Olympics. Two years.

He knows that with his leadership he can anchor Vancouver's blueline.

Shea Weber to Vancouver

Alexander Edler, Sammi Pahlsson, and Mason Raymond to Nashville

The other players will immediately reap the reward. Here's the amazing line-up post trade.

We also pick up Cam Fowler from free agency.

Dan Hamhuis - Shea Weber That's a top pairing!

Keith Ballard - Kevin Bieksa A combination of speed and tenacity.

Cam Fowler - Sami Salo/Chris Tanev/MAG

We trade to find a balanced and explosive defence that will have the luxury of an elite goalie behind them. Both are Luongo and Schneider could flourish behind this defense. Management owes the goaltenders this much.

The Canucks could also offer up David Booth and Andrew Alberts in a trade for Jordan Stall, effectively moving Ryan Kesler to his natural position.

I may be crazy, I may have an issue with my font control, but one thing I know is that my trade scenario will pay off big time. And it's realistic.

Rafalski retires out of the blue. Now lidstrom retires, Detroit may finally be missing the playoffs. Wait, whats this? A boatload of cap space and Norris finalist Shea Weber and his buddy Ryan Suter want out of Nashville. Looks like Detroit just bought themselves another 10 years of playoffs.

MARK MY WORDS! MARK THEM!!

Consider that Shea Weber has various ties to this city besides growing up 500 kms away.

Dan Hamhuis is a personal friend of Weber's and has been for eight years. In Nashville.

Roberto Luongo is a friend from the Olympics. Two years.

He knows that with his leadership he can anchor Vancouver's blueline.

Shea Weber to Vancouver

Alexander Edler, Sammi Pahlsson, and Mason Raymond to Nashville

The other players will immediately reap the reward. Here's the amazing line-up post trade.

We also pick up Cam Fowler from free agency.

Dan Hamhuis - Shea Weber That's a top pairing!

Keith Ballard - Kevin Bieksa A combination of speed and tenacity.

Cam Fowler - Sami Salo/Chris Tanev/MAG

We trade to find a balanced and explosive defence that will have the luxury of an elite goalie behind them. Both are Luongo and Schneider could flourish behind this defense. Management owes the goaltenders this much.

The Canucks could also offer up David Booth and Andrew Alberts in a trade for Jordan Stall, effectively moving Ryan Kesler to his natural position.

I may be crazy, I may have an issue with my font control, but one thing I know is that my trade scenario will pay off big time. And it's realistic.

Not a frackin chance we will do that.

Do some reasearch, See what Penner got the OIlers, See what HOssa got the Thrashers, see what Kovalchuk got the Thrashers, see what Voukoun got the Predators, see what Pronger got the Oilers, also see what Pronger got the Anahiem ducks. and you will understand why Toronto's 5th pick alone is not enough to Land Luongo. If they are offering that, thats obviously not the best deal being offered to us.

Any package involving both Kesler AND Edler would be ridiculous and Mike Gillis would never do that, and never did i propose such a dumb deal. I don't know what it would take to get Weber, but i trust MG in what he feels might make this team better. But it won't require Kesler as well as Edler. It would be Kesler or Edler in a package deal.

What i was getting at is IF, we were able to trade for him, signing him to a fair deal BEFORE free agency would be better than trying to get him on free agency next year as he would have an opportunity to weigh his options, the price would sky rocket.

ok that is exactly how i feel. the thing is if weber hits the trade market that is probably what it would take or another team is going to outbid us.. if you can get him for edler and a first i'd be cool with that but it just wont happen.

in my mind any package you put together for weber will hurt the organization more than help it. For example if kesler lapierre tanev first rounder and jensen gets the deal done then how did you improve your team? you gave up you second line center, your ultimate bottom six playoff performer, your nhl ready low cap hit prospect dman, best prospect and the next best player your getting in the draft.. packages like that are going to be put together and presented to nashville and i know damn well mg wont do that.

but back to what you were saying about free agency i still think we will be able to compete contractwise for shea. the guy is going to take in 3 major things, money obviously, teams cup chances and team future, and where he wants to live and raise a family. anyone who is from bc considers it the greatest place on earth. shea is from sycamous, probably the nicest part of bc, theres no way he doesnt want to live here. our team is about as complete as it gets in the nhl and with the way MG is tackling prospect and player development aswell as a team of guys who signed for slightly less just to remain a contender i dont see that changing. I'll also add shea's displeasure with nashville was them not going all in and building a contender. lastly the money issue, i think we could offer him a long term into retirement contract that would get the job done. something front loaded like lu's(im more comfortable giving it to weber than lu lol) to give us a 7 mill cap hit and that ballin cash up front to him.

i think taking it all into consideration and if we can offer him that secure long term better cap hit contract, he would sign here. id rather do that than trade a portion of our roster and future to get him

doesn't matter who tops the fantasy trade list, i'm sure no star caliber players wants to play in a city that turns on it's player faster than a blink of an eye, unless they were drafted and developed by the Canucks. like how many times we wanted so and so to come here and ended up they signing else where? it's like 1 in 10 will sign here.. and that's if they absolutely love the city or have ties that'll even consider signing here.. in recent memory.. how many star caliber player signed here because they want to be in vancouver playing for a contender and didn't sign here because of the money? prolly just Hamhuis..

doesn't matter who tops the fantasy trade list, i'm sure no star caliber players wants to play in a city that turns on it's player faster than a blink of an eye, unless they were drafted and developed by the Canucks. like how many times we wanted so and so to come here and ended up they signing else where? it's like 1 in 10 will sign here.. and that's if they absolutely love the city or have ties that'll even consider signing here.. in recent memory.. how many star caliber player signed here because they want to be in vancouver playing for a contender and didn't sign here because of the money? prolly just Hamhuis..

To get Weber I'd imagine the nucks would have to give up a 1st rounder, Schroeder, and Edler or something of similar value. Possibly whatever we get back for trading Lu or Schneids would be thrown in there instead of the 1st

I would do it in a heartbeat. Without someone to hold his hand like Weber Edler is never going to develop. Kesler is almost useless since AV will let him come back too early and he'll be hurt for the playoffs again (if we make it), so yeah I'd throw in the first for a # 1 Norris candidate defenceman, which is what this needs.

Archived