The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Picking A Direction

komodo1970

I'm not sure you are all that close to the mark.

Do we go forward, all in for offense? Not if Lou is your goalie you say? I am guessing you are not old enough to have watched him play in Florida, or when he first arrived here? Are you aware he has one of the best career save %'s of any goalie, especially when peppered with work? Lou is a great goalie, go forward and score!

The Sedin's plus / minus has absolutely nothing do do with getting points on the power play.

And seriously, you have no clue if you think we have to get more size to make a defenceman more effective in the offensive end. That gets taken care of with speed, the ability to carry the puck, vision, a big shot (see Connauton, Kevin > hardest shot in the AHL this year under 200 lbs), the ability to read a play, when to jump in, passing ability...

Correct answers:

1) Go with the best goalie. It may still be Schneider but any team can take more chances when the goalie is better. Teams tend to play defensively when their line up dictates they can win more physical battles than talent ones. They play offensively when they can win more speed, skill and talent duels...

2) The Sedin's have a high plus rating because they rarely play in defensive situations; so we dont get scored on alot when they're on the ice. But to be fair, puck control is also a substantial factor as teams don't get the puck from them either.

3) We most certainly could use a big defender who clears the net, with either goalie. No argument there.

4) While Tanev himself is not an offensive defender in a true sense, he helps an offensive team more. He does not have the size to stand up players at the blue line, or joust in physical battles. In short, he does not create mistakes. He is relied on because he gets to the puck quickly, and makes passes to forwards up ice to create offensive opportunities. Pittsburgh would love him, he probably does not make the team in Nashville?

There is some credibility to your conversation about rebound control.

Good luck crafting your Canucks team!

I've been reading a lot of posts about what fans feel the Canucks need the most. I believe that the team needs to go back to the most basic need. Picking a direction. By picking a direction, I mean ; Do they go for more of a defensive minded look that relies more on boxing out players and keeping the front of the net clear and relying on opposition mistakes for offense? Or, do they go for the all forward offense, leaving the goalie open to more odd man rushes and quality scoring chances? In making a decision on this, I believe our goaltender moving forward can be decided.

There is no doubting that we possess two great goaltenders. The problem lies in the team thats put in front of them.

Roberto Luongo is a great first shot save goaltender who gives up few rebounds. His experience is also a plus. His positional play, however leaves something to be desired. He is prone to weak goals, most notably from behind the net. His side to side movement is slower and he often seems to give up on long, cross ice passes in front of the net. If Lou is our goaltender moving forward, I think defense should be the strategy and should be seeking defensemen that fill this need. Big defenders who concentrate more on our end than constantly jumping up in the play. They'll need to limit cross ice passes and allow Lou to concentrate on the shooter. These defensemen should also have a great pass out of our zone, leaving little chance to be intercepted, sometimes just choosing the boards instead of the long stretch passes. This should translate to fewer goals and more assists from defensemen as well as a higher save percentage out of our goaltending. It also means a lot of low scoring and, at times, down right boring games. We should be winning a lot of 2-1 and 3-2 games. If this route were chosen there would be a lot of changes to our team.

The Sedins, last year were +23 and +14 respectively. This is misleading, however, as most of there offense came from the powerplay. In the playoffs, however, they were 0s in the plus minus department. In fact the highest score in this department was Zach Kassian with +1. This shows a lack of defensive commitment. With Lou in net, defense should be priority. A lot less pinching and more backing off. The biggest problem that would be faced is changing the teams focus and mind set. Disipline would be paramount.

In Cory Schneider we get a young, athletic goaltender. He has great lateral movement and is positionally solid. He never gives up on the play. He is primed to be on a more offensive, high octane team. He can make big saves. The problem is; can he do it for 60 to 70 games plus playoffs? He's shown it for 30 but asking him to do it for 3/4 of a season could be a tall order. Right now, it seems the team is more prepared for this type of game and would require less of a change. A player like Chris Tanev would become more expendable in favor of a bigger more offensively minded defenseman. With more emphasis being placed on scoring goals, the workload increases for Schneider. As I said, it's a tall order, however I think Cory is ready. In 22 fewer games than Lou, his save percentage (.937) and GAA (1.96) were dynamite. In the playoffs he played 3 games, allowing 4 goals. His save percentage was .960 and he had a 1.31 GAA. He just out performed Lou. Unfortunately the team was unable to produce much offense and was eliminated. But if Schneids can be counted on, then Vancouver's offseason efforts should be spent trying to find that high point producer to put with Kesler (Zach Parise?). The key is in finding someone that can find chemistry with him.

Which ever way it goes, the team has to perform consistently and be able to raise the bar in the playoffs. Average won't get it done. They have to commit to a system and play that system 110% every night.

I say we are best to keep on the road we are taking. We have had our best 2 seasons consecutively in all time. We are in the most successful 5 years of franchise history. I don't think now is the time to change what we do or how we play. More tools and tweeks is all that is needed. Its not like we are that far off. All we needed was 1 more win last year. This year is disappointing, but hats off to LA. I think they're on roids (hehe j/k... maybe).

Nowhere near NUFF said.

We had a talented team, but it lacked a key talent which was exposed; a Norris calibre stud defender. The Duncan Kieth's, Chris Letang's & Doughty's of the world simply blow through neutral zone traps like L.A.'s and haul the puck up ice like the Paul Coffee's and Scott Niedermyers before them. On other teams, the Chris Prongers, Zdeno Chara's and Shea Webers simply molest you, manhandle you off the puck, then hold you on their hip and control the puck with their reach as again the bring it up under pressure. Then pass it, because lanes open up if a second forward comes to double team, and they have the talent to move it forward against double teams. We rely on the breakout pass to escaping forwards, it's beautiful when it works but gets shut down by big physical teams that trap.

We also got manhandled in the last 4 play off series we lost (Chicago, Chicago, Boston, L.A.). That was just as big a factor. We were not even remotely close to being able to move Byfuglien, or Dustin Penner in front of the net? Both these guys suddenly became Gods. Where is your memory of big fast L.A & Boston forwards hammering guys like Tanev and and Erhoff on the fore check before they could clear the puck? Hamhuis can handle it, but not our entire line up. It has to do with some serious size problems.

AV crafted pretty serious runs with the talent and physical abilities of the teams he has been handed. We do need some upgrades.

He's also had pretty much the most talented canucks team, and he's only made it past the 2nd round once in 6 years? With your logic he had 2 Art ross winners, a selky winner and 2 elite goalies and he still couldn't win a cup? He almost got eliminated for the 3rd time in the playoffs against the Hawks if it wasn't for Burrows.

Sorry, but, NUFF SAID

OK let me get this straight arguably the best coach in Canucks history and you think he needs to go???? I am tired of hearing that AV needs to go... he has helped this club to the most success in its modern history. How many Presidents trophies? Art Ross winners? Selky winners? Come on get serious the Cup is within our reach for possibly the third season in a row and you want to let our coach go.....give me a break......

NUFF SAID

Nowhere near NUFF said.

We had a talented team, but it lacked a key talent which was exposed; a Norris calibre stud defender. The Duncan Kieth's, Chris Letang's & Doughty's of the world simply blow through neutral zone traps like L.A.'s and haul the puck up ice like the Paul Coffee's and Scott Niedermyers before them. On other teams, the Chris Prongers, Zdeno Chara's and Shea Webers simply molest you, manhandle you off the puck, then hold you on their hip and control the puck with their reach as again the bring it up under pressure. Then pass it, because lanes open up if a second forward comes to double team, and they have the talent to move it forward against double teams. We rely on the breakout pass to escaping forwards, it's beautiful when it works but gets shut down by big physical teams that trap.

We also got manhandled in the last 4 play off series we lost (Chicago, Chicago, Boston, L.A.). That was just as big a factor. We were not even remotely close to being able to move Byfuglien, or Dustin Penner in front of the net? Both these guys suddenly became Gods. Where is your memory of big fast L.A & Boston forwards hammering guys like Tanev and and Erhoff on the fore check before they could clear the puck? Hamhuis can handle it, but not our entire line up. It has to do with some serious size problems.

AV crafted pretty serious runs with the talent and physical abilities of the teams he has been handed. We do need some upgrades.

Archived