The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stanley Cup final ratings a disaster!

I don't know where your numbers come from, but the Globe &Mail is reporting 1.7 million viewers on nbc for game three not the 800,000 you report. And under 2.8 million for the Canucks Bruins game 3 last year. A big drop but likely due to the Boston area watching the Celtics this year, the NBA being much more interesting this year than last and the crap scheduling of not playing every second night.

This whole dead pick thing is stupid. I love this series. LA plays a great game and they are shutting jersey down by playing well. This is great hockey. If you can't appreciate it if would suggest you are not a hockey fan but rather a Nucks fan only. And I could care less what 4 major papers print. They have to sell papers and to do that they write to the lowest common denominator I.e. The uneducated masses.

I don't know where your numbers come from, but the Globe &Mail is reporting 1.7 million viewers on nbc for game three not the 800,000 you report. And under 2.8 million for the Canucks Bruins game 3 last year. A big drop but likely due to the Boston area watching the Celtics this year, the NBA being much more interesting this year than last and the crap scheduling of not playing every second night.

This whole dead pick thing is stupid. I love this series. LA plays a great game and they are shutting jersey down by playing well. This is great hockey. If you can't appreciate it if would suggest you are not a hockey fan but rather a Nucks fan only. And I could care less what 4 major papers print. They have to sell papers and to do that they write to the lowest common denominator I.e. The uneducated masses.

Expanding nets? Floating blue lines? Why not just invent a new game. The problems are twofold. One, too many teams means too many marginal players and two, the equipment gives players a sense of being invulnerable and so shots are blocked that used to get through and hits are made with no physical pain on either player.

The game needs no changes, certainly none like those I mentioned. Go watch b'ball if you need to see scoring adnauseum.

Why would Boston watch LA vs NJD? Even with or without Celtics, i bet they're not going to contribute 1 million more viewers. Also, without reports and such, i can tell that last year's finals have way more viewers than this year's.

This hockey is boring. I honestly can't watch more than 3 minutes. And don't label me as the Canucks fans only crap, I've enjoyed the previous 4/5 SCF pretty well.

In all, its different opinions. Many people are hockey fans and they dislike this series. You can't just say they're not hockey fans because they hate this series.

Hockey can mean many different things to different people

this is the first time in 20 years i have not watched the entire playoffs. Once the Canucks got tossed i tryed to watch, but once all the big teams got tossed aswell there was nothing but booring trap teams left and i could not stand to watch this type of hockey again. Not to mention the Horrible HORRIBLE officiating that has been rampid threw the entire playoffs.

Minus about a million to both of you, the NHL got into this mess because of too many stupid rule changes, everytime you change the rules its like a butterfly effect, it causes more problems, then more rule changes are made trying to fix the problems the first rule change caused, little Napoleon tried to fix something that wasn't broken and made things worse. You make rule changes to promote offense, the coaches will focus all their energy on defenses to beat it.

The root of the problem is over expansion, we need to let about six teams of dead wood die off, that would reduce hooking and holding by removing about 120 of the weakest skaters from the league.

If a penalty is a penalty in October, the same thing should be called in the last game of the season or the second round of the playoffs. Pissing around with the nets, for a traditionalist like me is wrong. The Internation ice surface is the only change to the game that I would approve whole-heartedly. When you hear commentators saying stuff like how much more did he have to do to draw a whistle? I think things are really being missed, and not just the obvious ones. Off-sides, how many have been missed, and didn't more than one goal result of an offside in this playoff season, so far?

Saw a game in Linkoping Sweden last fall, the game had everything and more that the NHL has, other than overall talent. Which I would say was highend AHL. The trap would be at the very least, not so obvious.

But I guess if an NHL coach wants to win and stay employed, he does the best he can, with what he has to work with.

the d-man was recently allowed to slightly impede the forechecking player in an effort to prevent injuries to his d-partner who is retrieving the puck and is about to be destroyed by the forechecker. that's not going to change.

not true, it's been happening for over 10 years now (allowing the defenseman to impede the forward) while the change you are speaking of wasn't even looked at till late in '08 when Kurtis Foster broke his leg against the Sharks (that's when the idea of protecting the d-man getting the puck was looked at.)

Expanding nets? Floating blue lines? Why not just invent a new game. The problems are twofold. One, too many teams means too many marginal players and two, the equipment gives players a sense of being invulnerable and so shots are blocked that used to get through and hits are made with no physical pain on either player.

The game needs no changes, certainly none like those I mentioned. Go watch b'ball if you need to see scoring adnauseum.

Archived