The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I think people hate on Luongo.

Not A Fruit

Well, he got outplayed, and out classed by Tim Thomas, and anyone that can't see that is not looking hard enough.

And I'm not going to call you an idiot, because I don't know you and you are probably just a child.

and at what point did i say he didn't get outplayed by Tim Thomas? Tim Thomas pretty much schooled our entire team by himself. If we had matched Boston's offense then sure you could put it all on Luongo, but we scored 8 goals in 7 games which is absolutely pathetic even in the regular season, 100 times moreso in the stanley cup finals.

That is why we have these forms to debate and I respect your opinion

even you admitted he blew it in Boston, if he woulda played in Boston as well as Vancouver we might have squeezed a 1-0 win in Boston.

All and all I agree our players were injured and didn't show up,

but there was nothing physically wrong with luongo and his performance in Boston was not elite end of discussion

people like you will just try and put 100% of the blame on the rest of the team no matter what, you could at least be somewhat objective

well he is a hard working player he went to most of the optional practices except near the end of the year because he wanted rest, but you can't single a guy out. I know there were some injuries but what about Henrik, Burrows, Booth, Raymond, Higgins and so on those guys didn't go to the optional skates near the end of the year or in the playoffs so you can't single Luongo out on that one. And he is hard working he lost 8 pounds last year by riding his bike all summer and if you ever watched practice you'd know that he works relentlessly with goalie coach rolly melanson to improve his game. You don't have the best 2 seasons of your career the last 2 years without hardwork obviously excluding the first season he got here

That is why we have these forms to debate and I respect your opinion

even you admitted he blew it in Boston, if he woulda played in Boston as well as Vancouver we might have squeezed a 1-0 win in Boston.

All and all I agree our players were injured and didn't show up,

but there was nothing physically wrong with luongo and his performance in Boston was not elite end of discussion

people like you will just try and put 100% of the blame on the rest of the team no matter what, you could at least be somewhat objective

Luongo is nothing more than a goalie mask full of hair gel.

Anyone who defends him has never played hockey

cause you would know how much of a momentum killer a week goal is.

Deep in that teams mind they lost faith in him

you can see the difference in the way they play in front of him vs Schneider.

well you can't cause you are a blindfolded luongo lover, but most people do.

AV put a inexperienced unproven goalie in the most important games of the year cause Luongo is an elite playoff performer?

or do you think AV has seen this story before.

It's because people are still pinning our SCF loss on Luongo. If he won the Cup Schneider would be driven right out of town.

This is as unfair as saying the Sedins should be traded for not scoring enough, or Kesler for being invisible in the Boston series. It wasn't just 1 or 2 players who lost us the Cup - every single Canuck had a brutal Finals except for our 3rd liners. Luongo was our best player all playoff long and he still gets heat.

I don't hate Luongo. I hate the fact that this situation has been allowed to go on unchecked for 2 full seasons. Its obvious to just about everybody that Schneider has been playing on a much higher level than Luongo ever since he got here and yet Luongo has continued to get the starts, even into the playoffs. You just can't run a team like that, forcing your best players to sit while your underachievers are getting all the ice time. The organization has always said the best players will play...but that's never been the case when it comes to Roberto Luongo.

actually i don't and i have admitted Luongo was bad in the games in Boston, but the team also failed offensively with their 1.14 goals a game. if that's putting 100% of the blame on everyone else to you then cool whatever floats your boat. I would call that spreading the blame around cause there is plenty to go around the way the team played in the finals last year, including Lu. difference is Luongo somewhat redeemed himself with solid games in games 1,2 and 5. When did the rest of the team redeem themselves? the only game where we managed more than 2 goals was game 2.

Hey guys,

The reason I feel people hate on Luongo is because of last year's performance. Newcomers who wanted to see their team do well, with high expectations. They see the final, and how Luongo performed. Now these fans have not seen Luongo's past performances. They haven't seen the beast he was from 5 years ago. These fans see Schneider's performance compared to Luongo, Schneider is their savior. They see a goalie who performs great all regular season and in the playoffs. They then compare Luongo's performances to Schneider's performances and feel Schneider is better. This is relevant to me. I am 13, and I started supporting the Canucks since last year's playoffs. Obviously I am aware of Luongo's performance in the past 5 years, and I respect him. Many do not have this respect, they boo him in the stands, and they want their savior Schneider (whom i love) to be in net. No one should boo an athlete.

At the same time though, you have to admit that Thomas was spectacular. He was being pelted with shots all series long and he never showed even the slightest bit of weakness. You definately can't accuse the team of not getting enough shots on net and good chances. Sometimes you just run into a hot goalie. Add onto that the fact that we had so many key injuries all over the lineup and you start to see the writing on the wall.

Saying things like I don't play the game for the fans, I play for my family, teammates and friends will not get you any brownie points. The fans pay your salary Lou! Add in the fact that he falls apart often and you have to expect to be hated. The real question is why some still like him?

I don't care if he is cocky.

I don't care what he did on the past.

All I know is his performance in the stanley cup final stabbed me in the heart thus, the name "Noheart"

I was his biggest fan, now I cant even stand the sight of him.

The team never scored? so to win... they would need like 9 goals a game in Boston?

Worst save % and GAA in a 7 game series, he shattered the old record.

I totally thought he finally got over the hump in chicago, I was so pumped.

As far as I'm concerned, he has accomplished nothing, he has never won a Vezina, Hart, or Cup.

Since the Ducks series

save % .903

GAA 2.97

in the playoffs

how do you people defend this guy?

he is the definition of CHOKE

You obviously DO care about what he did in the past, you prove that in every one of your posts regarding him.

Luongo is the ONLY reason the SCF went 7 games last year.

Your posts are absolutley ridiculous, saying people don't know anything about hockey because they have never played, or because they defend Luongo just proves how ignorant you really are.

Since we are talking about definitions, you sir are the true definition of a fairweather fan.

Little fact for you, Tim Thomas let in 21 goals in 7 games against the Lightning, big difference in that series was, Boston was able to score too.

Simple formula for you, scoring goals = win.

8 goals in 7 games is not going to win you a series, Luongo needed 3 shutouts and one 1 goal game in order to win that series, 2 shutouts isn't enough for you? Well sorry to tell you son, but your expectations are WAY! too high.

As for the "team deflating goals" I'll make this simple for you, If you give up after being down 1 or 2 goals then you DAMN well shouldn't be playing professional sports.

You truley are an ignorant fan.

Archived