The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft the BPA!

Herberts Vasiljevs

What about Derrick Pouliot of the winterhawks? Hes a 6 foot, 181 lb, left shot D man.

Hes an offensive D-man that has decent hands and a nice wrist shot! Last i knew he was ranked 19th... we might be able to snag him. =)

(winterhawks bias)

^some little highlights.

**edit: hes 5'11, hes 18 and hes ranked 12th for North american skaters... does that mean hes ranked too high for us to get?

What about Derrick Pouliot of the winterhawks? Hes a 6 foot, 181 lb, left shot D man.

Hes an offensive D-man that has decent hands and a nice wrist shot! Last i knew he was ranked 19th... we might be able to snag him. =)

(winterhawks bias)

^some little highlights.

**edit: hes 5'11, hes 18 and hes ranked 12th for North american skaters... does that mean hes ranked too high for us to get?

The Canucks are neutral when it comes to their prospects. There's no position in our system that's better than the other, and that does include goaltending. The Canucks top prospects are: Zack Kassian RW, Jordan Schroeder C, Nicklas Jensen LW/RW, Chris Tanev D, and Joe Cannata G.

We have both a first rounder and a second rounder. This years' draft pool is very shallow after the top 10-20 picks. I say no matter at what position we end up stay at or whoever's left, we HAVE TO pick the best player available.

From the 25th pick to the end of the second round, I'd say it's fair game, and that anybody could go anywhere. There are a few players that I really like that I could see going 26th or 56th, some maybe earlier and some maybe later. Either way though, here's my top 10 (not in order):

Ludvig Byström - A 17 year old d-man from the famous player factory Ornskoldsvik ( Sedins, Hedman, Naslund, Forsberg, etc.) he's got NHL size, swift skater, he can QB a powerplay, and he can play on the edge as well. I'd say he's very well rounded.

Martin Frk - Last year, many had him in the Top-10, but after suffering the 50/50 good/awful concussion. He's flown under the radar. He put up similar numbers to last year, has an NHL caliber shot, and he's someone who can single handedly change a game.

Scott Laughton - Think of him as the Boone Jenner of last year, but with more speed and tenacity. He's one of my favoutites. A Canadian with a heart of gold. He works hard every single shift, can play powerplay, kill penalties, and he plays well in all three zones of the ice. He'll drop the gloves too.

Henrik Samuelsson - He's the complete package: Big size, shot, physical game, tenacity, and a mean streak like his father Ulf. He was one if the Oil Kings heroes in the Memorial Cup run and put up good numbers. He really needs to working on his skating and attitude, as he's had about 4 suspensions in half a year in the WHL.

Dalton Thrower - Think of the future Kevin Bieksa 2.0, but with more speed, tenacity, grit, and much bigger shot. He plays on the edge, stands up for his teammates, and yet, he's one of the best offensive d-men in the draft. The North Vancouver native may only be 5'11, but he has a very solid frame and plays like has has NHL size.

Others:

Tomas Hertl

Scott Kosmachuk

Esa Lindell

Damon Severson

Colton Sissons

Use Elite Prospects to look at the stats if you wish, I'm not a big fan of them anyhow. Post some of your favoutites and why.

Cheers, GO CANUCKS GO!!!

This draft gets pretty thin after the top 20. I'm not so interested in it for the prospects as I am in the possible wheeling and dealing that could happen. I think any deals MG makes should include picks for next years draft. It looks to be much deeper with talent and size.

There are only four players in this draft that I look at with real interest (Yakupov, Grigorenko, Forsberg and Reinhart), but other than that I'm not too excited. As these players are probably out of our reach, next year should maybe be concentrated on.

Which ever team Lou goes to, their first round pick next year should be sought as part of the deal. Other players may become available and could gain more picks.

I'd be happy with any of these guys, I bring you my wish list.

SLATER KOEKKEOK

Place of Birth: Mountain, Ontario

Height: 6’2″ Weight: 183 lbs

Shoots: Left

Position: Defence

Slater-Koekkoek-missed-more-than-half-of-the-season-due-to-shoulder-damage-OHL-Images.jpg

Slater Koekkoek’s biggest strength is…the fact that he has a lot of them. He’s very good defensively, especially while defending rushes (which can be tough). He’s tough to beat one-on-one, he’s physical, he uses his body well to rub players off the puck and he’s just a tough guy in general to play against. He’s not overly big, but he uses the size and strength he does have very well. Koekkoek is a great skater, very good on the rush, and he knows when to jump into the play and when to stay back.

COLTON SISSONS

Place of birth: North Vancouver, BC

Ht: 6′ 1″ Wt: 190

Shoots: Right

Position: C/RW

Colton-Sissons-01-590x393.jpg

“Despite his large frame, he doesn’t get held back by his skating. He has a good first few steps and has good mobility and edgework. He skates hard and also plays with an edge. He loves to lay the body and is very strong at creating room for his linemates … Along with his size and strength, he features a very sharp hockey mind and knows where to be at what times on the ice.

DALTON THROWER

Place of birth: North Vancouver, BC, CAN

Ht: 6’0″ Wt: 190

Position: Defenseman

6200003594_e2866d467c_z.jpg

Dalton Thrower seems to be aptly named for his destined profession. He projects to be a tough, two-way defenseman who patrols the blueline like an ice gladiator. Thrower is not the biggest blueliner that will be selected in June, but he still plays a very effective physical game. Naysayers have focused on his size, citing NHL Central Scouting’s underestimated listed dimensions of 5’11” and 179 lbs. Dalton is actually 6’0” 190-195 lbs and is as hard as nails. This was evident on the big stage of the CHL Top Prospects game.

HENRIK SAMUELSSON

Place of birth: Leksand, SWE

Ht: 6’2 Wt: 192

Position: Center/winger

1337546809548_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

Samuelsson was a mid season pickup for the Oil Kings from Modo in Sweden after spending last season playing with the US U17 Team. Samuelsson is a gritty forward who wins board battles and excels at maintaining offensive zone puck possession. He can play center or the wing equally effectively and is at his best below the hash marks where he uses his size to his advantage. It was a rough first half of the year for Samuelsson, but after a quick start with Edmonton, don’t be surprised if you see the big power forward as a big riser in the Final rankings.

SCOTT LAUGHTON

Place of birth: Oakville, Ontario

Ht: 6-0 Wt: 175

Shoots: Left

Position: Center

f017e75641c7ba14977b94fa7222.jpeg

“Scott Laughton is a good, physical two-way forward who isn’t afraid to play a nasty style of game. He’ll hit you, he’ll fight you, he will outwork you and he’ll never take a shift off. His work ethic and drive in general is outstanding. He’s a solid two-way player who can produce on the powerplay and kill penalties. While his offensive abilities, and numbers, won’t ‘wow’ you, he does have good vision and an above average skill set which should help him produce in a secondary role at the next level. He projects to be a good second-line center, or great third-line center in the NHL.”

Archived