Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Draft the BPA!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#31 canucklesmith

canucklesmith

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

Love Dalton Thrower. The guy can do everything.

#32 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

I'm sure the Canucks management is reading this post and taking notes.

#33 gurmy_33

gurmy_33

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

The Canucks are neutral when it comes to their prospects. There's no position in our system that's better than the other, and that does include goaltending. The Canucks top prospects are: Zack Kassian RW, Jordan Schroeder C, Nicklas Jensen LW/RW, Chris Tanev D, and Joe Cannata G.

We have both a first rounder and a second rounder. This years' draft pool is very shallow after the top 10-20 picks. I say no matter at what position we end up stay at or whoever's left, we HAVE TO pick the best player available.

From the 25th pick to the end of the second round, I'd say it's fair game, and that anybody could go anywhere. There are a few players that I really like that I could see going 26th or 56th, some maybe earlier and some maybe later. Either way though, here's my top 10 (not in order):

Ludvig Byström - A 17 year old d-man from the famous player factory Ornskoldsvik ( Sedins, Hedman, Naslund, Forsberg, etc.) he's got NHL size, swift skater, he can QB a powerplay, and he can play on the edge as well. I'd say he's very well rounded.

Martin Frk - Last year, many had him in the Top-10, but after suffering the 50/50 good/awful concussion. He's flown under the radar. He put up similar numbers to last year, has an NHL caliber shot, and he's someone who can single handedly change a game.

Scott Laughton - Think of him as the Boone Jenner of last year, but with more speed and tenacity. He's one of my favoutites. A Canadian with a heart of gold. He works hard every single shift, can play powerplay, kill penalties, and he plays well in all three zones of the ice. He'll drop the gloves too.

Henrik Samuelsson - He's the complete package: Big size, shot, physical game, tenacity, and a mean streak like his father Ulf. He was one if the Oil Kings heroes in the Memorial Cup run and put up good numbers. He really needs to working on his skating and attitude, as he's had about 4 suspensions in half a year in the WHL.

Dalton Thrower - Think of the future Kevin Bieksa 2.0, but with more speed, tenacity, grit, and much bigger shot. He plays on the edge, stands up for his teammates, and yet, he's one of the best offensive d-men in the draft. The North Vancouver native may only be 5'11, but he has a very solid frame and plays like has has NHL size.

Others:

Tomas Hertl
Scott Kosmachuk
Esa Lindell
Damon Severson
Colton Sissons

Use Elite Prospects to look at the stats if you wish, I'm not a big fan of them anyhow. Post some of your favoutites and why.

Cheers, GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Dude Dalton Thrower is from Squamish.

#34 GabbyTheAwesome

GabbyTheAwesome

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

Dude Dalton Thrower is from Squamish.

Born in Squamish, lived in North Van. Went to the Winter Club.

#35 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

If Samuelsson is around at the 26th pick the Canucks better jump on that and pick him.

yep
Posted Image

#36 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:54 PM

This draft gets pretty thin after the top 20. I'm not so interested in it for the prospects as I am in the possible wheeling and dealing that could happen. I think any deals MG makes should include picks for next years draft. It looks to be much deeper with talent and size.
There are only four players in this draft that I look at with real interest (Yakupov, Grigorenko, Forsberg and Reinhart), but other than that I'm not too excited. As these players are probably out of our reach, next year should maybe be concentrated on.
Which ever team Lou goes to, their first round pick next year should be sought as part of the deal. Other players may become available and could gain more picks.

#37 tonimator#19

tonimator#19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:47 AM

Nicolas Kerdiles- C, 6'1 198lbs
Cristoval Nieves- C 6'3 185lbs

Gillis needs to go size, speed and skill

Edited by tonimator#19, 09 June 2012 - 03:06 AM.

#38 MikeJones

MikeJones

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

I would try to get R.Murray his is a very solid young d man with great leadership potential, another D.Hamhuis.
For forwards it is definitly D.Thrower he is big fast and loves to hit, he is just what we need!

Thrower is a dman.........
GO CANUCKS GO

#39 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,476 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

If Koekkeok is avaliable (which I doubt he will be) we have to take him, If not I would like to get Dalton Thrower.

I also hope we keep our 2nd and Draft Jake McCabe, Guys got great wheels, defensive ability, and can chip in offensively aswell, should be a solid top 4 defender.

zackass.png

#40 jammyrft

jammyrft

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

I'd be happy with any of these guys, I bring you my wish list.

SLATER KOEKKEOK
Place of Birth: Mountain, Ontario
Height: 6’2″ Weight: 183 lbs
Shoots: Left
Position: Defence

Posted Image

Slater Koekkoek’s biggest strength is…the fact that he has a lot of them. He’s very good defensively, especially while defending rushes (which can be tough). He’s tough to beat one-on-one, he’s physical, he uses his body well to rub players off the puck and he’s just a tough guy in general to play against. He’s not overly big, but he uses the size and strength he does have very well. Koekkoek is a great skater, very good on the rush, and he knows when to jump into the play and when to stay back.

COLTON SISSONS
Place of birth: North Vancouver, BC
Ht: 6′ 1″ Wt: 190
Shoots: Right
Position: C/RW

Posted Image

“Despite his large frame, he doesn’t get held back by his skating. He has a good first few steps and has good mobility and edgework. He skates hard and also plays with an edge. He loves to lay the body and is very strong at creating room for his linemates … Along with his size and strength, he features a very sharp hockey mind and knows where to be at what times on the ice.

DALTON THROWER
Place of birth: North Vancouver, BC, CAN
Ht: 6’0″ Wt: 190
Position: Defenseman

Posted Image

Dalton Thrower seems to be aptly named for his destined profession. He projects to be a tough, two-way defenseman who patrols the blueline like an ice gladiator. Thrower is not the biggest blueliner that will be selected in June, but he still plays a very effective physical game. Naysayers have focused on his size, citing NHL Central Scouting’s underestimated listed dimensions of 5’11” and 179 lbs. Dalton is actually 6’0” 190-195 lbs and is as hard as nails. This was evident on the big stage of the CHL Top Prospects game.

HENRIK SAMUELSSON
Place of birth: Leksand, SWE
Ht: 6’2 Wt: 192
Position: Center/winger

Posted Image

Samuelsson was a mid season pickup for the Oil Kings from Modo in Sweden after spending last season playing with the US U17 Team. Samuelsson is a gritty forward who wins board battles and excels at maintaining offensive zone puck possession. He can play center or the wing equally effectively and is at his best below the hash marks where he uses his size to his advantage. It was a rough first half of the year for Samuelsson, but after a quick start with Edmonton, don’t be surprised if you see the big power forward as a big riser in the Final rankings.

SCOTT LAUGHTON
Place of birth: Oakville, Ontario
Ht: 6-0 Wt: 175
Shoots: Left
Position: Center

Posted Image

“Scott Laughton is a good, physical two-way forward who isn’t afraid to play a nasty style of game. He’ll hit you, he’ll fight you, he will outwork you and he’ll never take a shift off. His work ethic and drive in general is outstanding. He’s a solid two-way player who can produce on the powerplay and kill penalties. While his offensive abilities, and numbers, won’t ‘wow’ you, he does have good vision and an above average skill set which should help him produce in a secondary role at the next level. He projects to be a good second-line center, or great third-line center in the NHL.”

Edited by jammyrft, 09 June 2012 - 09:40 PM.

No advertising please.

#41 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

Frk or Sammuelsson... i don't have much confidence they will both be undrafted by the 26th pick though.
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#42 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

Sissons, Thrower, Lukas Sutter....trade up from our second to a high second/late first and get 2 of these 3 if they are available

#TrueGrit

#43 Herberts Vasiljevs

Herberts Vasiljevs

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

Dalton Thrower = Kevin Bieksa 2.0

oif7li.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuckfor the awesome sig!

#44 JamesTW

JamesTW

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

He's 17 and almost 6 feet. He's nowhere near a physical liability. Are you yelling me that Orr, Coffey, Lidstrom and Karlsson never had a chance of making an impact cause their not towers? You can be a big Raitis Ivanans and be a total slum. Look at Rick Rypien, always worked hard and had heart and soul, playing like the biggest guy out there.

Wanna complain about regulars in the NHL being undersized, look at Nathan Gerbe! He's 5'5. Theo Fleury was an Allstar and he was 5'6. Are you calling a 17 year-old who's almost 6 feet undersized?

Those guys are the exception, in this case a better comparison would be Bieksa. No one can say that size is Bieksa's issue. It should also be noted that that a 5'11" 17 year old could grow into a 6'3" 20 year old. I was 5'6" tall at 17 and 6' tall at 18 so who knows how tall he will be by the time he's in the NHL maybe he won't be any taller maybe he will.

#45 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

I like Samuelsson.

For the record - drafting the BPA vs drafting by position is really only for teams that pick early. It doesn't apply to us this year.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#46 Sick Hands

Sick Hands

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

If gillis doesnt draft Henrik Samuelsson if available, he needs a lobotomy.

Im sick of drafting all these "nice guys" and wusses.

Sports arent nice, they are feirce and relentless, we need someone with edge and size.

It will be an EPIC fail by Gillis if he passes on him, something the Aquilinis hopefully will notice.

A Toast to Aquillini for getting Torterella.

An owner who knows what the people want.

That's entertainment.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.