The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roberto Luongo rightful goalie of the Vancouver Canucks

timmylu1

Let's take a look at how our superior "elite" goalie Luongo played in the LA series and compare it with how Schneider played the rest of that series: Schneider let in 4 goals in 101 shots. Luongo lets in 7 goals in 64 shots. I guess the Luongo followers would have us believe that the defense was terrible when Luongo played, and suddenly became excellent when Schneider took over.

Let's take a look at how our superior "elite" goalie Luongo played in the LA series and compare it with how Schneider played the rest of that series: Schneider let in 4 goals in 101 shots. Luongo lets in 7 goals in 64 shots. I guess the Luongo followers would have us believe that the defense was terrible when Luongo played, and suddenly became excellent when Schneider took over.

I see one detail that has been over looked by many people including the "experts" the fact that the team doen't play for Luo anymore, and it is true, all you have to do is look back to how the team played in front of Luo vs. Schneids in this years play offs. The effort in front of each goalie respectivley was night and day, Luo got no defensive or offensive support, Schneids got both, now if lossing Luo would be the worst thing, why would the team play so bad in front of him?, and if Schneids is not as good as some people have suggested, then why does the team play so well in front of him?

I love Luo but there is something wrong in Canuck land, and it seems to revolve around Luo.

Just my observation

Not really that simple. What, in your mind, is more valuable...the difference in potential returns or the $2-3 mil cap space that dealing Luongo would free up? In my mind, its no question that the cap space is going to be far more valuable going forward.

The title alone makes the author sound like an imbecile. The "rightful goalie of the vancouver canucks" should be the goalie who is playing the best at the time. Regardless of who that is. Luongo, Schneider, Lack, or whoever. It doesn't matter to me one bit. Play the guy who is at the top of his game.

Did the team show up in Game 7 of the cup finals... That was the last friggin crack at the cup! and what did the team cup with? 0 goals! yea we're really gonna win like that eh.. and yea blame it on luongo... yea he let in 4 goals... were they all his fault? naah not even a chance. 1 or 2 maybe if that.

The guy got 2 shutouts in the finals! heard of before? very unlikely eh! kept the team in the run for the cup!

I see where you're coming from man but I duno man... i guess everyone has a different opinion on everything.

Last year? yes he did. So he did it for one year staring only 28 games. We have no clue if he will be able to do this over a 70+ start year which is what he will be getting if Luongo goes, I don't see them giving Lack more than 10 starts.

Here's hoping he can cause if he can't we're kind of screwed

Why the heck should we let Schneider be the egomaniac that Luo is and let him start 70+ games? That's nuts. Luo's demands delayed for years the process of developing a good, young backup. Lack can play, and he will get more than 10 starts.

I am in favor of going with Schneider as the starter and trading Luongo BUT I'll share a pro-Luongo sentiment that came to mind.

I often here people - Canucks fans and other people around the NHL - talk about how Luongo isn't playing up to his contract. Well the fact is, he is. Consider that among starting goalies Luongo ranked 10th in Save % and 11th in GAA. Now, if you're judging Luongo by his cap hit, consider that he has the 8th highest cap hit among goalies. Okay, so his rank in the main goalie stats don't quite match up with his rank in cap hit, but it's pretty close. It's not like Luongo is being paid close to $7 million and he's putting up mediocre stats. Look at Niklas Backstrom for the Wild. He had pretty much identical stats to Luongo's, yet his cap hit ranks 5th among goalies. Also, if you want to talk about overrated goalies, take a look at Ryan Miller. He has the 4th highest cap hit among goalies at $6.25 million, yet he posted a 2.55 GAA and .916 Save %. I'm not even suggesting that's he's overrated, but while Luongo draws a ton of criticism about his play relative to his salary, you don't hear a peep about Ryan Miller.

If you want to go ahead and factor in that Luongo plays on a great team etc. that's fine, but then don't bring money into the equation. From my view, Luongo is pretty much earning his pay.

I am in favor of going with Schneider as the starter and trading Luongo BUT I'll share a pro-Luongo sentiment that came to mind.

I often here people - Canucks fans and other people around the NHL - talk about how Luongo isn't playing up to his contract. Well the fact is, he is. Consider that among starting goalies Luongo ranked 10th in Save % and 11th in GAA. Now, if you're judging Luongo by his cap hit, consider that he has the 8th highest cap hit among goalies. Okay, so his rank in the main goalie stats don't quite match up with his rank in cap hit, but it's pretty close. It's not like Luongo is being paid close to $7 million and he's putting up mediocre stats. Look at Niklas Backstrom for the Wild. He had pretty much identical stats to Luongo's, yet his cap hit ranks 5th among goalies.

If you want to go ahead and factor in that Luongo plays on a great team etc. that's fine, but then don't bring money into the equation. From my view, Luongo is pretty much earning his pay.

One thing they both didn't get enough of: goals. So while you can ride Luongo's ass all you want, fact of the matter is you could have started Schneider in every game and ultimately got the same result. Like I said in another thread, I think, this team has averaged 1.33 goals over the last 12 playoff games and we're blaming Luongo? Lets really get on his case when he actually does get goal support and still sh1ts the bed.

Archived