The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roberto Luongo rightful goalie of the Vancouver Canucks

timmylu1

Linden: All class, gave 100% every game and is Mr. Clutch, will probably never see another Canuck as clutch, ok maybe Burr

Naslund: Was not clutch like Linden but was Mr. Class and never thru his team under the bus... EVER!! Not to mention his statistics.

Bure: well, most exciting player to ever wear a Canuck jersey, gave this team another dimension to its historical identity. Helped take us to game 7 in the SCF

Lou: throws his team under the bus, never admits he craps the bed over and over, and is faaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrr from being clutch or exciting. If you think he makes exciting saves it is because he is out of position and it is the first save before the rebound goes in. The only thing Lou has going for him is his statistics as a Canuck, but the list of Canuck goalies is not very deep in its history and Lou has been playing behind the most complete Canuck team in its history so...

Your comment is the stupid one so there!!! :bigblush:

Pretty much what I've been saying all along, but in less detail. Luongo > Schneider, if you want to argue me about it than go ahead but I'm not going to listen to idiots who think he lost us the Cup and think he's a "choke artist" like the article points out.

Vancouver losing Luongo would be the worst move this franchise makes after everything he has done for us, but also what he is on the cusp of doing for this city.

"Elimination games" work both ways. Last year, we played 9 games where we could eliminate our opponent, and won 3 of them. These games require extra mental fortitude as well.

Luongo's stats in those 9 games: 3.41 GAA, .884 Save%

Perhaps if we finished off Chicago earlier, we would have had enough left in the tank to finish off Boston. But the boys were completely spent.

People stop overrating this guy, we gave him enough chances but he blew his last chance last season. Come on who lets in over 4 goals in a scf game. Why are we judging him by his regular season, hello playoff performance is the most important and the goal is to win the cup. Not just do well in regular season.

Draft day is coming up and so is this overrated goalies departure. Stop believing in him every year like naive children, some atheletes are just not meant for glory. And you guys are doing Luongo no favours by saying he's an elite because he will actually believe he is. The best thing for Lu is to hit rock bottom and actually realize he is not that gifted of a goaltender and maybe that will change him.

What do you think he is on the cusp of doing exactly? I dont think it's winning the Stanley cup, which is the only thing that matters anymore. Yes, Luongo has helped this team along greatly over the past number of years but he's proven that the playoffs do not agree with him. Three straight years of meltdowns against Chicago and Boston are a testament to that.

This is why I won't bother with you. Luongo didn't melt down - the team melted down. Sure, he let in some bad goals and lost us a couple of games in each of those series, but Luongo won us his fair share single-handedly as a goalie. The rest of the team didn't come up big when they had to. Just look at Game 7 against Chicago - our team was disgusting in front of him, let up 30+ shots of great quality including a disgusting effort on our powerplay to let Toews get a shot away and tie the game with sloppy defence. If we had lost that game and Luongo didn't make those saves, the Canucks would have not only missed out on the SCF at all, but would have been the focal embarassment of the history of the NHL. Not many teams lose 3-0 up, let alone the Presidents trophy winners against the 8th seed, let alone being bounced by the same time 3 seasons in a row. That would have put us in the record books for all the wrong reasons and we would have seen an overhaul in Vancouver from top to bottom. Instead, Luongo saved this franchise's dignity and name and got us to the final game of the season. Don't even mention Boston - our forwards scored 8 goals, Luongo single-handedly stole us 2 wins we didn't deserve and the other 18 skaters could only really get us 1.

I remember 2009, game 6 against Chicago, we scored and scored and scored again, we lost the game 7-5. Luongo couldn't make saves in an elimination game. The next year we lose to Chicago again in game 6 on home ice and we lose 5-1, Luongo admitted though that at least he didn't give up 7 that time. 2011, we are ahead in the series 3-0 on Chicago and Luongo gets blasted for 12 goals combined in games 4 and 5. Schneider starts game 6 and gives up 3, Luongo gives up the OT winner while doing a bellyflop. He played well in game 7.

I will mention Boston, yes we only scored 8 goals and yes Luongo was brilliant in the wins. However he still gave up 18 goals goals in the other 4 games. Even if our offence was going as well as it did in the regular season, how were we supposed to overcome that?

I remember 2009, game 6 against Chicago, we scored and scored and scored again, we lost the game 7-5. Luongo couldn't make saves in an elimination game. The next year we lose to Chicago again in game 6 on home ice and we lose 5-1, Luongo admitted though that at least he didn't give up 7 that time. 2011, we are ahead in the series 3-0 on Chicago and Luongo gets blasted for 12 goals combined in games 4 and 5. Schneider starts game 6 and gives up 3, Luongo gives up the OT winner while doing a bellyflop. He played well in game 7.

I will mention Boston, yes we only scored 8 goals and yes Luongo was brilliant in the wins. However he still gave up 18 goals goals in the other 4 games. Even if our offence was going as well as it did in the regular season, how were we supposed to overcome that?

Archived