The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Rick Nash to Vancouver?

Well Columbus actually needs inflated contracts to help them get to the cap floor, so Booth's cap hit and his potential to be a 25 goal scorer again would be attractive to them.

Most GMs wouldn't trade a 1st round pick for a prospect that hasn't played in the NHL so that's not saying much. Schroeder is still a former 1st round pick though, and we have spent 3 years developing him. That has value to another team.

He's likely ready to step into the NHL on a team like Columbus. He could center a line with Grigerenko for them.

Luongo, Higgins, Jensen, Yann Suave

Nash

2 roster players, 2 prospects

Rick Nash with Henrik Sedin = Mayhem

Essentially we would have the all star line as our 1st line. If Burrows and Booth could step up and be there when it counted we could go all the way with Nash.

Luongo is gonzo, no one is getting their paws on Schneider but us. The team plays for him every game. You know why? Because Luongo let's in bad goals. Get over it.

Dany Heatley - Traded for Milan Michalek, Jonathan Cheechoo, 2nd round pick.

Dany Heatley at the time was a much more impressive player.

- 2 100 point seasons

- 2 50 goal seasons

- 4 40 goal seasons

And the guy gets traded for 2 players who were NOT outstanding at the time of the trade.

Theres not alot different between the two situations, and I think alot of people are completely overreacting to how much Nash is ACTUALLY going to cost.

Schneider, Booth, and a 1st is a very good offer and really shouldn't need alot more to it. I wouldn't be sad to throw in the 2013 1st as well.

I can't believe people are ACTUALLY not wanting Nash on our team. Especially for reasons such as caphit, when it clearly doesn't matter on this team. Especially if a guy like Booth gets dumped, or even Ballard. I mean it's not that hard to make room.

I think Howsen may chill on his rediculous expectation of returns. Speculation is that a deal may have been done at the deadline only to have Howsen change the deal, wanting more after the the trade partner had given Howsen what he wanted. This, in my mind is ludicrous and not a very good way of conducting business. If it is true he may have "shot himself in the foot." I' as a GM would lose trust in him to follow through and would hesitate to offer any deal.

One thing I agree with, is that he has never broken 80 pnts and can't as of yet be truly put in that elite class (ie. Stamkos, Malkin, Crosby, Sedins). The argument could be made that he has played on a poorly constructed team through out his carreer, but one has to remember that he is a member of that team. He, as captain, is expected to lead them and assist in inspiring his teammates. Maybe it's true that, "you can't polish a turd (Columbus being the turd)."

If Vancouver could miraculously pull off the deal of the draft, I think He's on the second line.

Second line:

Jensen - Kesler - Nash

Umm he's actually more of a 70 point player. And a 70 point player on a crappy team equals a 90-100+ point player on an elite team. Columbus has gotten worse and worse over the past few seasons, and he's obviously had enough of trying to carry them.

The guy has scored 30+ goals 7 out of his 9 seasons in the NHL, and hit around the 40 goal mark 3 times. When put with a center that can dish the puck, he's shown he can easily be a 40 goal scorer. Last time I checked that makes a player worth 7.5-8 million dollars.

How does that kill the franchise? You're being a bit dramatic. We give up Schneider, who was likely going to be traded all along anyways. Then we basically upgrade Booth with Nash, and give away a prospect that may or may not make the NHL, and a late first round pick that isn't guaranteed to be anything special.

That doesn't kill the franchise at all, in fact it may lift the franchise to it's first ever cup. Are people really this unaware of how dominant Rick Nash is as a player? I can't believe some people wouldn't want to give up some assets to have him on our team. He instantly turns this team back into a Stanley Cup favourite.

To Vancouver:

Rick Nash (7.8 mill)

2012 3rd Round Pick (62nd)

To Columbus:

Roberto Luongo (5.33 mill)

Mason Raymond (2.33 mill)?

Chris Tanev (900,000)

Kevin Connaution (900,000)

2012 1st round pick (26th)

2014 2nd round pick (???)

This would be my approach to the trade if I was the General Manager of Vancouver. It looks like Vancouver is giving up a lot, however, it's not as bad as one may think. Moreover, in order to get Nash, it will take a lot regardless...

Many people are talking about Schneider for Nash, this is not happening--because of the cap. Vancouver is too close to the cap ceiling and they will need to trade contract for contract in order to maintain/fit Nash's contract. Columbus ought not be opposed of the idea; Luongo is only in his early thirties and should be able to play for the next 4-7 years depending on his skill performance. Nevertheless, Columbus can still rebuild around Luongo and their young players. Plus, Luongo is an elite goalie and it is reasonable to say that Luongo by himself could add an extra 5-10 wins for Columbus.

Everything else in this deal is extra padding: Raymond for a top 6 forward (young) and reasonably priced for Columbus. Chris Tanev, a good young defencemen with NHL experience. Kevin Connaution, another young defense prospect, and finally two draft picks, sure they are giving up a third round (which we have no third round in the 2012 draft), but they are getting another first round pick and a future draft pick as well. Which as a result follows their rebuilding strategy.

Thus, Columbus gets some rebuilding pieces and NHL experience, and Vancouver gets their star forward and perhaps a crucial piece to the small window Vancouver has to win the Stanley Cup. Plus, that third round pick in the 2012 draft is oh so persuasive.

Thoughts?

To Vancouver:

Rick Nash (7.8 mill)

2012 3rd Round Pick (62nd)

To Columbus:

Roberto Luongo (5.33 mill)

Mason Raymond (2.33 mill)?

Chris Tanev (900,000)

Kevin Connaution (900,000)

2012 1st round pick (26th)

2014 2nd round pick (???)

This would be my approach to the trade if I was the General Manager of Vancouver. It looks like Vancouver is giving up a lot, however, it's not as bad as one may think. Moreover, in order to get Nash, it will take a lot regardless...

Many people are talking about Schneider for Nash, this is not happening--because of the cap. Vancouver is too close to the cap ceiling and they will need to trade contract for contract in order to maintain/fit Nash's contract. Columbus ought not be opposed of the idea; Luongo is only in his early thirties and should be able to play for the next 4-7 years depending on his skill performance. Nevertheless, Columbus can still rebuild around Luongo and their young players. Plus, Luongo is an elite goalie and it is reasonable to say that Luongo by himself could add an extra 5-10 wins for Columbus.

Everything else in this deal is extra padding: Raymond for a top 6 forward (young) and reasonably priced for Columbus. Chris Tanev, a good young defencemen with NHL experience. Kevin Connaution, another young defense prospect, and finally two draft picks, sure they are giving up a third round (which we have no third round in the 2012 draft), but they are getting another first round pick and a future draft pick as well. Which as a result follows their rebuilding strategy.

Thus, Columbus gets some rebuilding pieces and NHL experience, and Vancouver gets their star forward and perhaps a crucial piece to the small window Vancouver has to win the Stanley Cup. Plus, that third round pick in the 2012 draft is oh so persuasive.

Thoughts?

Riiiight, so you're saying him playing with one of the best passers in the game and on one of the league's best powerplays would have no effect on his point totals?

Kovalchuk is a bad example because he played in the Southeast division where it's easier to score goals. Nash plays in the central division, which is arguably the toughest division in the league. He would tear the Northwest division apart. And Parise only scored 40 goals once, are you saying he isn't worth 7.5-8 million dollars?

You really don't watch him play if you think he's overated or not that good. Go try making that argument on HF boards and see how that goes over...The guys one of the best talents in the game, to argue otherwise is just idiotic. It has nothing to do with where he was drafted, it has to do with his ability to take over games, plain and simple.

Hmmm, how many goals did we score in the finals? 8 goals? Seems to me goal scoring was just as much of an issue as defence. Seems to me it didn't get much better this season either. This team doesn't have as much scoring depth as people think. We've seen it time and time again. When the Sedins get shutdown, we're done. Especially when Kesler is constantly battling injury.

1st round picks come and go, real opportunities to win a cup are alot more rare. We would be a good team for more than a few seasons.

Luongo, Higgins, Jensen, Yann Suave

Nash

2 roster players, 2 prospects

Rick Nash with Henrik Sedin = Mayhem

Essentially we would have the all star line as our 1st line. If Burrows and Booth could step up and be there when it counted we could go all the way with Nash.

Luongo is gonzo, no one is getting their paws on Schneider but us. The team plays for him every game. You know why? Because Luongo let's in bad goals. Get over it.

Dany Heatley - Traded for Milan Michalek, Jonathan Cheechoo, 2nd round pick.

Dany Heatley at the time was a much more impressive player.

- 2 100 point seasons

- 2 50 goal seasons

- 4 40 goal seasons

And the guy gets traded for 2 players who were NOT outstanding at the time of the trade.

Theres not alot different between the two situations, and I think alot of people are completely overreacting to how much Nash is ACTUALLY going to cost.

Schneider, Booth, and a 1st is a very good offer and really shouldn't need alot more to it. I wouldn't be sad to throw in the 2013 1st as well.

I can't believe people are ACTUALLY not wanting Nash on our team. Especially for reasons such as caphit, when it clearly doesn't matter on this team. Especially if a guy like Booth gets dumped, or even Ballard. I mean it's not that hard to make room.

Jensen will probably become Rick Nash in a few years and at a much affordable price point. Why does everyone want to trade prospects for short term success? So many teams make this mistake and they end up being terrible in the long run. Good teams build from within and don't give up an arm and a leg for one average overpaid player.

Jensen will probably become Rick Nash in a few years and at a much affordable price point. Why does everyone want to trade prospects for short term success? So many teams make this mistake and they end up being terrible in the long run. Good teams build from within and don't give up an arm and a leg for one average overpaid player.

Guest Dasein

I would LOVE to get Nash. But the only thing that I don't see happening is Luongo waiving nice NTC to go to Colmbus

Archived