The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks on Loan

Peter Gunn

It would be difficult to make this happen because there are so many details that would need to be worked out, but the principle is very simple.

Imagine if the NHL had a "player-loan" system similar to that used in soccer. Obviously there could be many types of systems to use, but I'm intrigued by the notion or idea of a somewhat similar system in the NHL.

In its most simplistic terms it would go something like this:

An NHL team prior to the start of the regular season can, if they want, list or offer 1 or 2 players they're willing to loan out to another non-conference team for an entire season including playoffs.

I'll use the Canucks and Cody Hodgson prior to the start of last season as just 1 example:

The method used to obtain the loan player aside, because the Canucks are loaded at center and have no room for him to play that position and feel it would be of little benefit for him to play another season in the minors they end up loaning Cody to the Toronto Maple Leafs who desperately need help at center.

Cody starts on the third line, gets loads of ice-time and perhaps ends the season as the Leafs second or first line center with 20 goals and 30 assists - 50 points. The Leafs make the playoffs but are eliminated in the first round, Hodgson returns to Vancouver and re-joins the Canucks if they're involved in post-season play.

- He's helped the Leafs make the playoffs.

- Canucks get back a player they know more about with 1 years NHL experience and who could conceivably assist the Canucks in their play-off run.

Depending on the player and the teams involved, what I've mentioned here is just one of a thousand examples of what may happen, but I think teams would develop players more quickly, have a much better idea of what they have, the quality of play would improve and it would in my opinion create a lot more interest amongst the fans.

Leafs 4 - Canucks 3 - Hodgson 1 goal, 2 assists.

Boo-Yay!!!

One can go on and on about what would happen to the CAP, who should or should not be made available, it's effect on the minors and junior programs etc., but I'm having a whole lot of fun thinking about all the ramifications of a loan system but this post has gone on long enough except to say that Cody was used as just an example and should not be viewed as the point of this discussion.

PS - Many thanks to my soccer crazy son-in-law for selling me on the idea.

This makes zero sense, also in soccer dont they loan players to other leagues? (Dont follow club soccer) Loaning players to teams that you'll play is just plain stupid.

It's possible in soccer because the many leagues that there are, and the thousands of elite soccer players out there. Hockey theres what like under 1000 players in the NHL?

Only way it would work is if players were loaned to say the KHL or something, but that sure is not happening.

The NHL has most of the best players in the world, so loaning some of those would just make the talent pool weak, who is going to fill in? Soccer players are spread out in many different leagues around the world, so thats what makes it possible for them.

As a fan of "soccer" and a European, this system would only work if the players were loaned to teams outside of the NHL. If there was a deal with some European leagues it could work, but the players just can't return mid-season because they have finished their season in their respective European team they would have to wait until a specific date to re-join the team. This could help with development of players but it is basically like a farm team but having no waivers so it makes little sense.

It's an interesting idea and I would love to have something worked out because it would make European leagues more competitive as well.

Most loans in European soccer are to teams in divisions below. It is actually similar to what happens in Hockey with the Canucks "loaning" a player to the Chicago Wolves for example, technically he is Canucks property but is allowed to play for a different team but in soccer there are generally no farm teams and reserve teams are generally youngsters so a player like Baumgartner would be "loaned" from Man United to Sheffield United for example.

It's normal to loan players to other teams in the same league in soccer. It's good to do that simply because the player can get used to the type of soccer you play in that league. However, most (every?) time when you do that there is a "hook" behind the loan. When the team you have loaned the player to, play against you, they aren't allowed to use the player in the game.

And well, the bad thing about loaning out a player is that there is no guarantee that he will get the amount of game-time that you want.

It's normal to loan players to other teams in the same league in soccer. It's good to do that simply because the player can get used to the type of soccer you play in that league. However, most (every?) time when you do that there is a "hook" behind the loan. When the team you have loaned the player to, play against you, they aren't allowed to use the player in the game.

And well, the bad thing about loaning out a player is that there is no guarantee that he will get the amount of game-time that you want.

Also, because the NHL uses a salary cap system, this loaning mechanism would be a easy way to throw away large cap hits. So to prevent this, you would have to make it so that the loaned player's cap hit will continue to count against the team loaning the player, but the salary itself is paid by the team receiving the player.

after the first loaned player gets injured it would put an to it all.. maybe if you could loan a player and send him with his own on ice security to protect him.......

as long as the AHL (and the like) is around there is no need to Loan a player to a different NHL team . develope them in your own system and you and your affiliates benefit from said player not some other team you play against.

This makes zero sense, also in soccer dont they loan players to other leagues? (Dont follow club soccer) Loaning players to teams that you'll play is just plain stupid.

It's possible in soccer because the many leagues that there are, and the thousands of elite soccer players out there. Hockey theres what like under 1000 players in the NHL?

Only way it would work is if players were loaned to say the KHL or something, but that sure is not happening.

The NHL has most of the best players in the world, so loaning some of those would just make the talent pool weak, who is going to fill in? Soccer players are spread out in many different leagues around the world, so thats what makes it possible for them.

NO and NO again! CODHOD should never again grace the Canuck uniform. He chose to leave via DADHOD and that door is slammed. The concept of player loan is just not what we need in the NHL. The sport can stand on its own without asking for an assist during playoffs. I think most players would and do feel insulted when this takes place. You highlight individuals not the team. A team makes it and then that team is not good enough? Change can be good but this would equal negative results for the NHL.

:canucks: NUFF SAID :canucks:

Archived